Failed to read blocks 0x7

• Maybe it's worth to reformat an USB stick before writing the image. Use a slow / precise USB formatter. I think image writers don't do that process very precise.

• Yes, good to know the RAM is fine. Next I suggest to check all partitions. GParted is a tool to check / repair them.

OK so i've downloaded Gparted and booted on it, but didn't really get what i had to do.

I'll try to check more this USB stick thing... That's pretty weird

• Maybe it's worth to reformat an USB stick before writing the image. Use a slow / precise USB formatter. I think image writers don't do that process very precise.

ahah i reformat 50 times each USB stick since the beginning of this story... As i have windows poping-up and asking me to... And i format them by myself to be sure it's clean before writing the image...

I really don't get what's going on

PS: You can use GParted to check / format a USB stick. GParted is known to be precise.

How do i do this ?

Edited once, last by nico2001: Merged a post created by nico2001 into this post. (July 14, 2023 at 5:55 PM).

• I've intalled LE (instead of Ubuntu).

Kodi is there, it's all great.

I switched it off then on again, still working.

Then tried to lauch it again, but it remained on the "Intel NUC" screen for a while...

I switched off and on again, and this time, the "Failed to read blocks 0x7" is back... ;(

Hi,

I'm using the LE with Raspberry Pi (2x RPi3B, one RPi4B), I'm just writing the image to SD-card, put in the RPi and working.

So if I understod correctly, you prepaired an USB stick with the LE and installed the LE to the NUC internal SSD (HDD?)?

You successfully started once or more the LE from NUC internal storage, and after that happen the "Failed to read blocks 0x7" issue?

That looks to me as the installtion went OK, and something happen when you (re)start the LE.

Maybe some kind of BIOS or SSD boot issue in case of LE?

Ubuntu use the Grub as boot manager, maybe the LE use something else?

Could be possible to use two USB sticks? One with the LE "Installation kit" and to be install to another?

Maybe could be useful to share more inrmation about your NUC device, like model, processor, RAM, storage (SSD/HDD), if somebody else using same device and have any idea what is happen.

• Have you tried to create a Ubuntu Live USB stick so you can fully evaluate your NUC. I assume you are a Windows user so follow these instructions. You can then eliminate hardware issues on your NUC and your USB stick. If the stick boots Ubuntu Live you’ll know your problem lies with your image creator

How to Create Ubuntu Live USB in Windows [Step-by-Step]
    The tutorial shows how to create a bootable Ubuntu USB in Windows. Instructions are valid for all versions of Ubuntu Linux and Windows.
    itsfoss.com
  • Thank you very much for your message VLouis

I'm using the LE with Raspberry Pi (2x RPi3B, one RPi4B), I'm just writing the image to SD-card, put in the RPi and working.

> I do not have a sd card player on my pc, so i cannot try this way...

So if I understod correctly, you prepaired an USB stick with the LE and installed the LE to the NUC internal SSD (HDD?)?

You successfully started once or more the LE from NUC internal storage, and after that happen the "Failed to read blocks 0x7" issue?

That looks to me as the installtion went OK, and something happen when you (re)start the LE.

> You've understood perfectly

Maybe some kind of BIOS or SSD boot issue in case of LE?

> As said earlier, i updraded the bios after the first failed attempt. And it went fine.

About the HDD, it is new.

But why not an issue with it...

Ubuntu use the Grub as boot manager, maybe the LE use something else?

> I wouldn't know.

Could be possible to use two USB sticks? One with the LE "Installation kit" and to be install to another?

> It is such a mess with the usb stick that go crazy everytime, but why not trying it. But to be honest, now i got the installation file on my desktop...

Maybe could be useful to share more inrmation about your NUC device, like model, processor, RAM, storage (SSD/HDD), if somebody else using same device and have any idea what is happen.

> Alright

Intel NUC NUC7CJYHN Barebone Intel Celeron J4005 2*SoDDR4 Wi-Fi/BT No OS -

Toshiba 500gb MQ01ABD050 Hard Disk

Lexar SODIMM DDR4 RAM 8 GB 3200 MHz

Have you tried to create a Ubuntu Live USB stick so you can fully evaluate your NUC. I assume you are a Windows user so follow these instructions. You can then eliminate hardware issues on your NUC and your USB stick. If the stick boots Ubuntu Live you’ll know your problem lies with your image creator

https://itsfoss.com/create-live-usb-of-ubuntu-in-windows/

Good morning petediscrete , and thank you for your message.

Yes i already did it, it was one of the first idea from VLouis and Da Flex.

I installed Ubuntu, everything went fine.

Still, i'am really amazed no one is familiar with this error message... Even on the internet, there isn't many pages with this error... Actually one, two with mine lol.

But the other one is talking about image writing it seems...

Edited 3 times, last by nico2001: Merged a post created by nico2001 into this post. (July 15, 2023 at 12:39 PM).

• Might be worth your while reading through this purely to get a sense of what may be at play here. The likes of updating firmware etc are something to consider too. I don’t own a NUC but this post may point you in the right direction to finding a solution. Read it from start to finish before attempting any fixes.

Batocera won't boot from USB device
    Hi! I'm trying to install Batocera on a USB device but am running into a major problem. The system simply refuses to boot. I used etcher to burn the image fo...
    forum.batocera.org
  • If the LE installer completed and system booted and on reboot the issue presents; the installer is not the issue.

Ensure things like "Secure Boot" are disabled in BIOS, we don't support that. `If the bootloader is the issue (which we don't know) you could boot from an Ubuntu LiveUSB/CD image and install grub2 as a bootloader (overwriting the default syslinux). This will then need some boot config to be defined but there are lots of examples on the internet.

If it's not the bootloader, eliminate the SSD by updating the drive firmware (should be possible with most branded drives; might need a Win box to do the update from). Installing/booting LE from USB (run mode) then attempt writing to the entire drive with "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ssd-device bs=1m" will prove the device can write to all cells. If it throws errors in dmesg .. send it back.

If it's none of the above .. /shrug

• Might be worth your while reading through this purely to get a sense of what may be at play here. The likes of updating firmware etc are something to consider too. I don’t own a NUC but this post may point you in the right direction to finding a solution. Read it from start to finish before attempting any fixes.

https://forum.batocera.org/d/1973-batocer…m-usb-device/31

Hi petediscrete

Thank you for your message, but i don't have a problem with the booting. LE got installed just fine. Its when i launch it again that it refuses to work and i got the error message. So i'm not sure this article will help me much...

If the LE installer completed and system booted and on reboot the issue presents; the installer is not the issue.

Ensure things like "Secure Boot" are disabled in BIOS, we don't support that. `If the bootloader is the issue (which we don't know) you could boot from an Ubuntu LiveUSB/CD image and install grub2 as a bootloader (overwriting the default syslinux). This will then need some boot config to be defined but there are lots of examples on the internet.

If it's not the bootloader, eliminate the SSD by updating the drive firmware (should be possible with most branded drives; might need a Win box to do the update from). Installing/booting LE from USB (run mode) then attempt writing to the entire drive with "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ssd-device bs=1m" will prove the device can write to all cells. If it throws errors in dmesg .. send it back.

If it's none of the above .. /shrug

All of this (except the Secure Boot that i already did) is way too complicated for me... This is why i use LE, it's so easy, simple and straightforward...

I just don't get it, everything is new, the NUC, the ram and the hard disk, the LE version is the one you're all using, and yet, i cannot enjoy it. And nobody knows this error message and no one can give me an explanation.

Sorry lads, i am very upset.

Thank you all anyway.

I don't know what i'm going to do.

Edited once, last by nico2001: Merged a post created by nico2001 into this post. (July 17, 2023 at 6:00 PM).

• I’d strongly suggest you return your purchase to the supplier and obtain a replacement or refund. They are probably the best people to take up your annoyance with. It does sound like you have some form of hardware failure and as you state a lot of what is being suggested to you to remedy the situation is beyond your skill sets. The error message is quite generic and is not pointing you to any specific failure on your system. Without your NUC in front of us all we can do is offer suggestions.

• Hi everyone, and again, thank you so much for your help, your messages.

Sorry i've been silent for a long time, busy with work and needed a break from all that story.

At the end, i talked about it with a friend, he told me to change the hard disk (ye mentionned it too, among other things).

By change, recalled that i had a external memory device that had a hard disk. This reveals to be the one needed in the NUC. So i went ahead and changed it... A few weeks later, it's still working fine, never had again this weird error message...

Thank you again, have everyone a great weekend.