Failed to read blocks 0x7

• Good morning everybody

Hope someone can help, i really want to cry :(

Alright.

I got myself a brand new Intel NUC as the previous one didn't want to function anymore.

I had a lot of problems with the LibreELEC image creator, who would always stops 2-3 seconds before the end of the writing, FYI.

I used another tool to write it and installed LibreELEC on the NUC. Everything went well, i got LE and Kodi, this was thursday eveving.

The next day, i turned the NUC on, and got this message : "Failed to read blocks 0x7".

I tried to do several things, looked on the internet... Updated the NUC's BIOS version (it is brand new but is from 2020 i think ;)), then got a few other errors, that i think i solved...

Then i wondered if the LibreELEC image/version was well written the first time (which may be a strange thing to think about, as it was working well...), and tried to write it again, this time with balenaEtcher.

I got the image written and wanted to install LibreELEC again... But this time i got a "The selected boot image was not authenticated" message.... I guess this is not the proper way to install LibreELEC again when it's already installed ?

Now i'm back at the "Failed to read blocks 0x7, the NUC won't start.

Please can somebody help me ? I would really like use my new NUC ;)

• Hi, I suggest to you to try that "brand new intel nuc" with something else. Like try to run a live linux (Ubuntu) from an USB stick, try to install it, reboot few times. I think, as it's a number of peoples using the LE with Intel NUC or similar, in your case a defective device can't be excluded, even for a brand new hardware.

• Hi VLouis

Thank you so much for your answer.

Alright, so i've installed Ubuntu.

My NUC can start without mistake, a big thank you for that.

Now, what do i do ?

The target of using LibreElec was to use Kodi to read all my movies that are on my NAS... Now i'm a bit lost...

Shall I... install LibreElec ? Since it is another OS, i guess this question is really stupid...

Can i directly install Kodi ?

• Hi, if you managed to install the Ubuntu and working well... it's a good news.

If you still want to install the LE, you should focus to that issue when you tried to write the image to USB.

Maybe that "another tool to write" wasn't able to write the image exactly how should to be?

Did you start the LibreELEC image creator with admin rights? Or tried with another USB stick?

• Hi VLouis, thanks for your answer.

Then, i should try to install LE instead of Ubuntu, right ?

I didn't know i could strat the LE image creator with admin rights... And i tried with the two UBS sticks i have... But as i could write the image with other tools, i really think something goes wrong with the LE image creator...

Let's see after your reply... Can i have Ubuntu AND LE ? Two OS ?

Thanks

• Then, i should try to install LE instead of Ubuntu, right ?

I didn't know i could strat the LE image creator with admin rights... And i tried with the two UBS sticks i have... But as i could write the image with other tools, i really think something goes wrong with the LE image creator...

Let's see after your reply... Can i have Ubuntu AND LE ? Two OS ?

LE image creator with admin rights - Windows, right click to the program icon and select the "Run as administrator" - to force running as admin.

Then, i should try to install LE instead of Ubuntu, right ? - Depend what you want to do with you device. Yes, if want to use only as a very smart media player (and you will clarify why you can't install it).

Can i have Ubuntu AND LE ? Two OS ? - For this first you should manage to install the LE... make free space... than install the Ubuntu with dual boot settings. But you can have Ubuntu and Kodi. Just install the Kodi under Ubuntu: HOW-TO:Install_Kodi_for_Linux

• Hi Da Flex and VLouis

Thank you very much for your answers.

I ran as an admin the LE image creator.

I think at the end the issue was coming for the usb stick, as you've been thinking since the beginning Vlouis, because it Was opening many windows at the end of the writing (different discs). I thought it did the necessary by clearing the differents parts and by just having one, but it seems the issue is still here, as i got some windows opening after the end of the writing (this time indeed, the writing didn't stop before the end of the writing).

I've intalled LE (instead of Ubuntu).

Kodi is there, it's all great.

I switched it off then on again, still working.

Then tried to lauch it again, but it remained on the "Intel NUC" screen for a while...

I switched off and on again, and this time, the "Failed to read blocks 0x7" is back... ;(

Seriously, the writing was fine this time. You will tell me to get back to Ubuntu and install Kodi on it... But all this is on my tv, i don't want Ubuntu, which is more for PC's it seems...

None of you knows what to do about this error message ?

How come it could run, and then not run, i don't get this...

Thank in advance for your answers

• Hi Da Flex

Sorry i've been busy.

I've just ran the test, let it run for 25mn to be sure ;), and it's all fine.

Of course, when i lunched the NUC again, i got the "Failed to read blocks 0x7" error message...

Seems it's a pretty unknow message, is it ?

Have you or VLouis another idea, another test or check to do ?

Thank you very much

• Alright, but i really start to think the issue comes from the writing of the image.

Let me explain Da Flex : everytime i flash the LE image on an USB stick, at the end of the process, i got windows poping-up, and i got messages to format the disk... Whereas since this week, i paid attention to have only one "disk" on my USB stick... I don't know why, everytime it seems the writing wants to open/create several disks from the USB stick... I'm really concerned by this and think more and more this could be the issue.

I don't know if i make myself clear enough ?

• Whereas since this week, i paid attention to have only one "disk" on my USB stick... I don't know why, everytime it seems the writing wants to open/create several disks from the USB stick... I'm really concerned by this and think more and more this could be the issue.

Try another USB stick.