System name will not change

• I've just installed the latest nightly for v12 generic (LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-12.0-nightly-20230628-73e6606.img) and I can't alter the system name from LibreElec.

I found this thread System Name always reverts to LibreELEC after reboot from June this year and this thread Change hostname? from 2018. The recommendation in this years thread was to edit hostname which is why I found the earlier thread.

Here is my hostname (in line with chewitt's info)

<?xml version="1.0" ?>

<libreelec>

<addon_config/>

<settings>

<system>

<wizard_completed>True</wizard_completed>

<KeyboardLayout1>uk</KeyboardLayout1>

<hostname>Optiplex</hostname>

</system>

<connman>

</connman>

<services>

</services>

<about>

</about>

<libreelec>

</libreelec>

<updates>

<AutoUpdate>manual</AutoUpdate>

<SubmitStats>0</SubmitStats>

</updates>

</settings>

</libreelec>

• I've posted it as a bug but just in case there's a workround that I couldn't find.

I'm transitioning to a new Kodi platform (Dell Optiplex) and am using v12 nightly and can't change the device name from LibreElec. Any suggestions.

• Same problem here with the LE 12 nightlies.

I tried editing /etc/hostname, but it reverts back to LibreELEC after a boot.

I have three LibreELEC installations, and this makes it a little more difficult to administer them, although I can address them separately by IP address.

• I have three LibreELEC installations, and this makes it a little more difficult to administer them, although I can address them separately by IP address.

You have my sympathy there

My bet is someone has hard coded it in for testing and forgotten to take it out (I'm guessing that because I've done it).

• What’s it reporting in the logs after renaming in the current session and after a reboot. Have you attempted to change the name manually. Have you tried a different skin.

Edited once, last by petediscrete (June 29, 2023 at 12:34 PM).

• I tried editing /etc/hostname, but it reverts back to LibreELEC after a boot.

IIRC *the* place to change hostname is the LE settings add-on; this is the master location that defines what is set/propagated at runtime. If you edit /etc/hostname directly the change will not persist over a reboot. LE is not a general purpose distro - it does not always follow other distro conventions for doing things.

• IIRC *the* place to change hostname is the LE settings add-on; this is the master location that defines what is set/propagated at runtime. If you edit /etc/hostname directly the change will not persist over a reboot. LE is not a general purpose distro - it does not always follow other distro conventions for doing things.

Thanks for the reply! The problem is that, in the LE12 nightlies, when you do use the LE settings addon to change the hostname, it immediately reverts to "LibreELEC" on the next boot.

Changing it in /etc/hostname was a failed attempt at a workaround. Sorry if that wasn't clear.