Youtube and Tubed errors

• Yesterday morning the Youtube app was working. Yesterday afternoon It started throwing a "the following content is not available on this app" and Tubed gives me a "exceeded quota error" after logging in with Google. I have been using a private API key and client ID with Youtube, I checked, they are still valid.

I am guessing this is because of the data breech over at Kodi. Any other clues?

• Go to Best Answer
  • I don't see how Kodi's Data Breach would affect the YouTube App. The Kodi Forum would be the best place to post your issues. It should be back up soon. I have seen your issue reported by a few people over there before they shut down, but only a few. A common fix for a lot of these type issues is to just do nothing. It "may" eventually start working normally again. By the way, the YouTube App works just fine for me on both LE and Windows.

• The Kodi forum has been down for at least a week, or I would have posted there. Thought maybe the dev would see it here.

I just thought maybe passwords were interconnected somehow.

• I assume you meant youtube add-on, not app. It's not working here either. Was working yesterday. Hopefully things will get sorted soon. It's obviously not out configs.

edit: it appears that the add-on is functioning again.

Edited once, last by pauljw (April 16, 2023 at 5:29 PM).

• Interesting, mine was ok over the weekend and yesterday (monday).
    It no longer works today (Tuesday).
    I am in the UK.

Luckily I am technical enough to follow the suggested advice.
    which is to do nothing :)

Time to search why my iplayer add-on isn't working either.
    I suspect the same advice might relevant.
    Thanks for posting this. Save me mucking things up by trying to sort it out.

• Hmm, I'm away from home at the moment so I can't check mine. I figure we may as well get used to the "new normal" of unqualified help mucking things up.

• Tubed works fine..

Just setup youtube addon with your your api's and then move

Code
    /storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/plugin.video.youtube/api_keys.json

to tubed userdata folder

• Oh, really? Is that what the errors mean?
    Thanks.

In that you mean create a new login etc somehow?

You think the iplayer thing is a coincidence?

I’ve no idea but if your API key is causing problems it’s probably best to create a new one. If you search the web you’ll see it all explained.

• OK, thanks.
    I didn't have time to look into anything yet, but everything apart from iplayer is working again now.

So, thanks to whoever did the stuff in the background.

Time to look into iplayer.
    I can seem not to be able to open folders, but can play individual programmes if I am able to navigate to them.

• The temporary fix for the YouTube addon is to install the Alpha release from Github. Alpha1 is for Kodi Matrix. Alpha3 is for Kodi Nexus (20.1). Make sure you install the correct one! Then go into YouTube Settings and turn off MPEG-DASH. If you don't turn off MPEG-DASH, the video may freeze and crash YouTube. Here's a link for the Alpha releases:

YouTube Alpha Releases

This is a temporary fix until the developers release an update. This also limits resolution to 720p.

• The workarounds are not lasting. I imagine this problem runs deeper than a quick workaround. I’ve seen a number of suggestions on what the problem could be but nothing concrete or credible for a lasting solution.

I’d gladly help test a credible solution but I’m not spending hours trying uninstall/install Kodi and API credentials on somebody’s whim to find it doesn’t work.

Clearly the problem lies at the source, Google/YouTube and not with Kodi or the Kodi addon. I did see mention of the user agent and how it’s being handled in Kodi but I imagine if the solution was that simple the Kodi addon maintainer would have a solution by now.

• The Alpha1 and Alpha3 releases, along with turning off MPEG-DASH is still working for me on all videos. The Github page no longer hosts those files though. I managed to save them and it's a good thing I did. They work at 720p and you can't FF too far or time search a video without the video dropping out, but for basic HD playback, it's work just fine. I can wait until they release a better version.

Alpha2 and Alpha4 don't work at all for me and for most people that tried them.