MySQL Support

• Thought this addon of yours was broken vpeter?

[hr]

won't work, currently there is a problem with the docker add-on that make it so that docker comes up after kodi, so the mysql server won't be started in time and kodi would have to be restarted after the mysql server comes up

Thanks, hopefully you will roll out an update soon to fix

Edited once, last by IceQB (May 7, 2016 at 2:42 PM).

• For some time already

Thats just great How long it takes mysql to start? I think that simple delay in autostart.sh with restart kodi (by killing its process) should be enough to be able use also Kodi (with DB@Mysql) from the same (Rpi) machine..

I am now away from town, but looking forward to get hands on it

Edited once, last by JimmySmith (May 8, 2016 at 11:46 AM).

• Nickr, thanks for usefull notice.. Already have it on start/stop scripts, but for some reason not in restart script ;)

Vpeter: !!! It looks like mysql already starting before kodi (at least I didnt see any errors in kodi logs, that it cant connect do MySQL). It works like a charm. I enabled InnoDB, querry-cache, disable httpd, create kodi user, /storage/.mysql, import database from router and everything works on the first try! This is gold.. It should be announced somewhere by big letters. I believe a quite number of people has more Rpi/Kodi boxes on home, and with this they can enjoy shared DB even with -ro- systems like ELEC.

I dont have experience with upgrading system - if lamp addon will need some care or something - but the first excitement is big. Thumbs up and big thanks!

I could have dedicated Rpi for mysql, but for 1-2MB db? Rpi2 served me as NAS, HTPC and doin job very well and low power consuption. Now the last thing missed is on place and I am very happy :)

• Vpeter: !!! It looks like mysql already starting before kodi (at least I didnt see any errors in kodi logs, that it cant connect do MySQL).

If you are talking about my lamp addon then mysqld.service is wanted by kodi.service so should be started before. At least no one reported any error in this regards. The other option is that no one is actually using my addon
    And I think you should discuss about lamp addon in my other dedicated thread.

Edited once, last by vpeter (May 10, 2016 at 6:18 PM).

• Instead of putting the mysql database on devices that aren't meant for it, like routers or media players, I would suggest to buy a cheap RPi and turn it into a dedicated database server.

Thank you for your suggestion.
    I was wondering if you could recommend a good combination of OS and mysql solution!?
    I have a spare RPi3 that I could make as a server. Isn't best to compile the mysql myself on the OS, like OSMC, or run LibreELEC and install

• Instead of putting the mysql database on devices that aren't meant for it, like routers or media players, I would suggest to buy a cheap RPi and turn it into a dedicated database server.

Thank you for your suggestion.
    I was wondering if you could recommend a good combination of OS and mysql solution!?
    I have a spare RPi3 that I could make as a server. Isn't best to compile the mysql myself on an OS, like OSMC, or should I run LibreELEC and install vpeter 's LAMP addon?!

Thank you in advance.

• Thank you for your suggestion.
    I have a spare RPi3 that I could make as a server. Isn't best to compile the mysql myself on an OS, like OSMC, or should I run LibreELEC and install vpeter 's LAMP addon?!

Thank you in advance.

Raspbian Lite or Snappy Ubuntu Core work quite well. As for the database, either MySQL or MariaDB is fine.

If you want to manage the database through your browser instead of the command line you can install a web server (like Apache) and PHP, then use for example phpMyAdmin.

Quote from Simorgh

Can you run MYSQL server on one machine and that does not have kodi, and manage the kodi database on another machine?!

Sure, it's just a run of the mill database server.

Edited once, last by Grimson (November 15, 2016 at 1:46 PM).

• Raspbian Lite or Snappy Ubuntu Core work quite well. As for the database, either MySQL or MariaDB is fine.

If you want to manage the database through your browser instead of the command line you can install a web server (like Apache) and PHP, then use for example phpMyAdmin.

I did try Snappy Ubuntu Core but never got past the first login and my post never got answered at Ubuntu Forum:
    login incorrect - Ubuntu Core 16 on RPi2

Sure, it's just a run of the mill database server.

Right now I am running OSMC on a RPi3 with MySQL installed on it, and being my MySQL server and run texturecache.py to update the database without a monitor. Then I have 3 other RPi2 running LibreELEC and getting the movice/tv show database off of the RPi3. But Thinking if there is better option(s) or not.

Thank you.