SSH Connection Refused

• When running ssh root@ blaa blaa blaaa -vvv I get this:

PS C:\Users\admin> ssh [email protected] -vvv

OpenSSH_for_Windows_8.6p1, LibreSSL 3.4.3

debug3: Failed to open file:C:/Users/admin/.ssh/config error:2

debug3: Failed to open file:C:/ProgramData/ssh/ssh_config error:2

debug2: resolve_canonicalize: hostname 192.168.1.249 is address

debug3: expanded UserKnownHostsFile '~/.ssh/known_hosts' -> 'C:\\Users\\admin/.ssh/known_hosts'

debug3: expanded UserKnownHostsFile '~/.ssh/known_hosts2' -> 'C:\\Users\\admin/.ssh/known_hosts2'

debug1: Authenticator provider $SSH_SK_PROVIDER did not resolve; disabling

debug3: ssh_connect_direct: entering

debug1: Connecting to 192.168.1.249 [192.168.1.249] port 22.

debug3: finish_connect - ERROR: async io completed with error: 10061, io:00000253946A3CA0

debug1: connect to address 192.168.1.249 port 22: Connection refused

ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.249 port 22: Connection refused

I am on a Win 11 machine.. I tried uninstalling and re-installing the OPENSSH CLIENT.. No luck..

The problem seems to be I have no .ssh in my Windows User dir and I am not sure how to get it there.. I have tried manually creating the dir, but no luck..

My ssh seemed to work fine prior to my install of Windows 11...

Any hints, tips, suggestions would be most appreciated..

• Yep... It's on...

Based on the output of running SSH, it seems it's a windows issue, not a KODI problem..

Which probably means I should be asking in a windows forum, but.. :D

I'm using MobaXterm for terminal (and for litle upload-download) and Filezilla for SFTP (SSH File Transfer Protocol), now with Win11, worked well before with Win10 too. Don't remember to had any SSH issue with Libreelec.

• I'm happily connecting from Win11 (using the native support not PuTTY) and macOS to a range of LE devices using SSH, and if it didn't work for everyone there'd be a wave of forum posts complaining about it. So whatever the issue is, I'm confident it's local to your environment.

Make sure you didn't enable key-only auth. It doesn't stop SSH prompting for passwords. It does stop passwords from being accepted.

• I also have no doubt about the existence of problems in LE (Nexus) 11 beta 1, installed on USB flash, in the network server services part. I have two examples: (1) I can't SSH via eth0/wlan0 IP, but I can via tailscale0 IP or via Web SSH Terminal addon with eth0/wlan0 IP, and (2) the zerotier service cannot be installed. My tests are made with Linux Ubuntu and Android Termius.

• I'm happily connecting from Win11 (using the native support not PuTTY) and macOS to a range of LE devices using SSH, and if it didn't work for everyone there'd be a wave of forum posts complaining about it. So whatever the issue is, I'm confident it's local to your environment.

Make sure you didn't enable key-only auth. It doesn't stop SSH prompting for passwords. It does stop passwords from being accepted.

I really never had a problem connecting before to my LE box with a Windows 11.. It's possible that a Microsoft update frak'ed up my setup.. That would be typical of M$ :^/

Where is this Key-Only Auth setting you speak of??

Thanx for the reply...

• Where is this Key-Only Auth setting you speak of??

In the LE settings add-on, next to the SSH enable on/off .. and users occasionally get enthusiastic and flick everything on, which means they enabled key-only authentication (after which, passwords are unsurprisingly no longer accepted).

• Problem solved...

And it was definitely a D-SAK problem. Dumb-Sheet At Keyboard... :^/

The IP for HOLODECK (my LE box) has always been 192.168.1.249...

But I had switched over my Gateway from AT&T to STARLINK... The STARLINK gateway had assigned a different IP.. I didn't catch on because there is another device at .249 so when I pinged it, I got a response..

Ironically enough, STARLINK assigned my own workstation as .249.. So I was pinging and trying to SSH into my own workstation!! :D

So, in the ever eternal words of Emily Litella....

"NEEEVEEERR MIIIIINNNDDD"

:D

• mglae

Your suggestion doesn't work for me.

(1) In an Ubuntu terminal I open SSH with tailscale0 IP and I don't have any problem.

(2) In a second terminal I open SSH with wlan0 IP and it gets blocked after entering the password.

(3) I go back to the first terminal and type journalctl -u sshd. The result does not say anything that is useful for something

Code
    Jan 26 09:12:27 acemax-le systemd[1]: Starting sshd.service...
    Jan 26 09:12:27 acemax-le systemd[1]: Started sshd.service.
    Jan 26 09:12:27 acemax -le sshd[785]: Server listening on 0.0.0.0 port 22.
    Jan 26 09:12:27 acemax -le sshd[785]: Server listening on :: port 22.
    Feb 12 10:36:27 acemax-le sshd[2728]: Accepted password for root from 192.168.2.42 port 37944 ssh2
    Feb 12 12:47:19 acemax-le sshd[3512]: Accepted password for root from 100.87.111.1 port 52774 ssh2
    Feb 12 12:47:50 acemax-le sshd[3518]: Accepted password for root from 192.168.2.42 port 54852 ssh2

(4) A short time later and by chance :D I can no longer navigate with my Ubuntu PC because it has lost the addresses of the DNS servers

Note: I see strange things in log dates and device name