Posts by michale32086

I follow a format posted by Chewitt about 6 years ago.. To whit:

parted -s /dev/sdb mklabel gpt

parted -s /dev/sdb mkpart primary ext4 0% 100%

parted -s /dev/sdb name 1 'MEDIA'

mkfs.ext4 -L "MEDIA" /dev/sdb1

fsck.ext4 -y /dev/sdb1

I use that whenever I need to add another HD to my LE/KODI box renaming the /dev/sdx as appropriate.....

I recently added a 4TB HD and, using the above format, namely the PARTED MKPART command, it only configured 1.7TB of the 4TB HD...

I am assuming that the format is the issue, as I got an error message. Unfortunately, I don't recall the exact message I got.. I know.. That would be kinda important..

I pulled the 4TB HD and put it on my Windows system and it only sees 1.7TB on that drive..

Did I irrevocably screw that 4TB HD up???

Disregard... I figured it out.. I was using a USB Interface and I think that is limited to <2TB... I plugged the HD directly into my windows system and it recognized the full 4TB...

DOH!!! :D

Final question. At least until the next problem pops up.. :D

I have gotten my MOVIES and TV files situated and recovered..

I wanted to re-do the KODI directory structure...

I created the links I need:

The dirs in green are the new ones. They are based off the TV dir. I want to delete the TV dir, but without removing the CONTENT of the TV dir..

I am assuming that if I use the REMOVE SAFELY, that will simply remove the TV from the KODI screen but will not touch the content of that dir..

First I want to confirm that that assumption is correct.. Because everyone knows what happens when you make an assumption.. You make an ASS out of U... and umption.. :D

Secondly, I want to confirm which REMOVE SAFELY I should use...

As always, thanks in advance for all the help.. :D

This is not an LE issue and it’s late in the evening but I suggest a bit of research on the net should yield a solution. Here’s something to get you started https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/3150…-bad-superblock

Make sure you read through that link entirely before jumping in with the first solution and do it with a clear head possibly tomorrow

Thanx! :D Got it figured out..

Using lsblk, it showed that /dev/sdc had TWO partitions and I should be mounting /dev/sdc2, not /dev/sdc1

:D

Many thanx...

Attach the disk to a separate Linux system. You’ll have better success recovering the files. Plenty of recovery tools available to do the job

. Testdisk is probably your best bet. Definitely sounds like your disk is on its way out. https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tuto…r-deleted-files

OK I put Ubuntu on a workstation and installed TESTDISK...

I have played with it and am comfortable with using it..

I need to mount a 12TB HD within the Ubuntu environment so I can copy/recover the movies from the 6TB HD..

I created a TV dir in my home dir but when I try to mount the 12TB drive (sudo mount /dev/sdc1 /home/michale/TV) I get this:

mount: /home/michale/TV: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.

I am fairly certain my issue is the wrong mount command..

I am pretty much stuck here..

Once the filesystem is unmounted you should be able to run fsck against it. From personal experience if you then cannot access the drive, it's usually because the drive has major problems (and it's time for a new drive). How many hours on it?

It's a very old drive.. At least 10 years running nearly 24/7... I can read the drive, both thru SSH and thru Windows File Manager..

But getting anything from it? Nearly impossible..

There's like 4TB worth of movies on there.. :(

I run 'e2fsck /dev/sdc1'

Says DEVICE OR RESOURCE IS BUSY...

I 'umount -f /dev/sdc1'...

The partition is unmounted and doesn't show up in 'df'

Run e2fsck again and now it says 'device is in use'..

I realize this is really basic Linux stuff, but ya'all would save me hours of scouring the net. :D

Thanx in advance for any assistance..

Problem solved...

And it was definitely a D-SAK problem. Dumb-Sheet At Keyboard... :^/

The IP for HOLODECK (my LE box) has always been 192.168.1.249...

But I had switched over my Gateway from AT&T to STARLINK... The STARLINK gateway had assigned a different IP.. I didn't catch on because there is another device at .249 so when I pinged it, I got a response..

Ironically enough, STARLINK assigned my own workstation as .249.. So I was pinging and trying to SSH into my own workstation!! :D

So, in the ever eternal words of Emily Litella....

"NEEEVEEERR MIIIIINNNDDD"

:D

I'm happily connecting from Win11 (using the native support not PuTTY) and macOS to a range of LE devices using SSH, and if it didn't work for everyone there'd be a wave of forum posts complaining about it. So whatever the issue is, I'm confident it's local to your environment.

Make sure you didn't enable key-only auth. It doesn't stop SSH prompting for passwords. It does stop passwords from being accepted.

I really never had a problem connecting before to my LE box with a Windows 11.. It's possible that a Microsoft update frak'ed up my setup.. That would be typical of M$ :^/

Where is this Key-Only Auth setting you speak of??

Thanx for the reply...

When running ssh root@ blaa blaa blaaa -vvv I get this:

PS C:\Users\admin> ssh [email protected] -vvv

OpenSSH_for_Windows_8.6p1, LibreSSL 3.4.3

debug3: Failed to open file:C:/Users/admin/.ssh/config error:2

debug3: Failed to open file:C:/ProgramData/ssh/ssh_config error:2

debug2: resolve_canonicalize: hostname 192.168.1.249 is address

debug3: expanded UserKnownHostsFile '~/.ssh/known_hosts' -> 'C:\\Users\\admin/.ssh/known_hosts'

debug3: expanded UserKnownHostsFile '~/.ssh/known_hosts2' -> 'C:\\Users\\admin/.ssh/known_hosts2'

debug1: Authenticator provider $SSH_SK_PROVIDER did not resolve; disabling

debug3: ssh_connect_direct: entering

debug1: Connecting to 192.168.1.249 [192.168.1.249] port 22.

debug3: finish_connect - ERROR: async io completed with error: 10061, io:00000253946A3CA0

debug1: connect to address 192.168.1.249 port 22: Connection refused

ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.249 port 22: Connection refused

I am on a Win 11 machine.. I tried uninstalling and re-installing the OPENSSH CLIENT.. No luck..

The problem seems to be I have no .ssh in my Windows User dir and I am not sure how to get it there.. I have tried manually creating the dir, but no luck..

My ssh seemed to work fine prior to my install of Windows 11...

Any hints, tips, suggestions would be most appreciated..

Yep, I am running SAMBA...

Is there any way to totally shut down KODI while leaving LibreElec running and available in SSH??

In the alternative, will shutting down SMB thru Kodi suffice??

On another note, I can't make eth0 connect automatic.. It's always set to MANUAL.. Even if I set it to AUTO, it STILL shows MANUAL.. Maybe setting it thru SSH instead of the KODI GUI??

Thanx for the replies.. Your assistance is greatly appreciated..

Forgive the delay in getting back on this.. Was down for weeks with Covid and then spent a couple weeks getting things resolved at work..

But I wanted to follow up on this, as I am SO close.. :D

Where things are at now is as they were. I can access HOLODECK from ENTERPRISE.. (The LibreElec machine and my Windows work station respectively..) But the drives are still "dirty" and I cannot write to them..

I had taken the drives off of HOLODECK and put then on ENTERPRISE to "clean" them and rename them.. So the naming issue is resolved, but I still need them to be clean in HOLODECK...

I have looked up the commands to un mount and then fsck the drives, but I can't get the drives unmounted to run the fsck..

I realize this is a very basic thing, but if anyone could help, it would be most appreciated...

Thanx for the info..

Unfortunately, these drives are quite full and finding a temp home for about 8 gigs worth of TV Shows and Movies would be.... problematic.. :D

But what you are saying is once I clean them, they should boot up clean and be writeable..

Is that an accurate assessment??

And, to save me some GOOGLE search, can you confirm the umount command?? umount /dev/sdx ???

Thanx again..

I had KODI (Matrix) running on a Win10 box with 2 HDs, a 4TB and a 6TB formatted (if I recall correctly) with GPT...

I put in an LE SSD and am wanting to run LE from now on.. Everything went pretty smoothly.. I even was able to set up the SMB access from my Win10 machine (ENTERPRISE) to the LE BOX (HOLODECK) sensing the pattern?? :D

But I do have a minor problem and a major problem..

Minor:

I would like to rename the 4TB and sdb2 blaa blaa.. But the dirs are not able to be renamed, either in Windows File Manager or directly in the LE box via SSH...

Which I think is caused by my MAJOR problem..

I can't write to the drives... In SSH, the dirs in /var/media/ are all drwxrwxrwx but the files themselves are -rw-r--r--

I have tried every mount, remount, umount, chown, chmod known to humans and I can't change the permissions..

Anyone have an idea??

Thanx in advance...