Trying To Clean/Repair ext4 Partition

• I run 'e2fsck /dev/sdc1'

Says DEVICE OR RESOURCE IS BUSY...

I 'umount -f /dev/sdc1'...

The partition is unmounted and doesn't show up in 'df'

Run e2fsck again and now it says 'device is in use'..

I realize this is really basic Linux stuff, but ya'all would save me hours of scouring the net. :D

Thanx in advance for any assistance..

• Go to Best Answer
  • Once the filesystem is unmounted you should be able to run fsck against it. From personal experience if you then cannot access the drive, it's usually because the drive has major problems (and it's time for a new drive). How many hours on it?

• Once the filesystem is unmounted you should be able to run fsck against it. From personal experience if you then cannot access the drive, it's usually because the drive has major problems (and it's time for a new drive). How many hours on it?

It's a very old drive.. At least 10 years running nearly 24/7... I can read the drive, both thru SSH and thru Windows File Manager..

But getting anything from it? Nearly impossible..

There's like 4TB worth of movies on there.. :(

• Attach the disk to a separate Linux system. You’ll have better success recovering the files. Plenty of recovery tools available to do the job

. Testdisk is probably your best bet. Definitely sounds like your disk is on its way out. https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tuto…r-deleted-files

OK I put Ubuntu on a workstation and installed TESTDISK...

I have played with it and am comfortable with using it..

I need to mount a 12TB HD within the Ubuntu environment so I can copy/recover the movies from the 6TB HD..

I created a TV dir in my home dir but when I try to mount the 12TB drive (sudo mount /dev/sdc1 /home/michale/TV) I get this:

mount: /home/michale/TV: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.

I am fairly certain my issue is the wrong mount command..

I am pretty much stuck here..

• This is not an LE issue and it’s late in the evening but I suggest a bit of research on the net should yield a solution. Here’s something to get you started https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/3150…-bad-superblock

Make sure you read through that link entirely before jumping in with the first solution and do it with a clear head possibly tomorrow

Thanx! :D Got it figured out..

Using lsblk, it showed that /dev/sdc had TWO partitions and I should be mounting /dev/sdc2, not /dev/sdc1

:D

Many thanx...