Installation Problem (AMD Athlon 5350)

• Thanks for any help with this

Thought I would get my old system out and put libreelec on it and give it to the daughter, but I seem to be having a few installation problems.

This is the PC I'm trying to install it on, I have downloaded the 19.5 generic version used the SD creator tool but every time I try to install it I get cant find boot device and it ask me to click N to find next boot device?

AMD Athlon 5350
    Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 4GB (1x4GB)
    Asus AM1I-A
    120GB OCZ SSD

GeForce GT 710 SILENT

• Can only be common advises.

In the BIOS:

• Reset to BIOS defaults
    • Disable Secure Boot
    • Disable any fast boot
    • Enable full USB support
    • Maybe disable CSM to get full EFI

Hardware:

• Try all USB ports.
    • Try a different USB stick

Tricks:

• Install the SSD on a different machine
    • Write the install image on the SSD and use the run mode
  • 1st thing I remembered was to install on a different machine, this I did it installed but putting the drive back into the AMD system I got the boot device not found!! I might have to try an older version then upgrade once it's installed.

• Chances to boot are better with a legacy image.

There are big differences in the kernels and userspace of Generic and Generic-Legacy but in respects to initial boot code they're both exactly the same. If the kernel cannot see the target device to install-to; you'll hit the same issue in both images.

• There is no difference in kernel configuration between Generic and Generic-Legacy. But that's of no importance here.

Nether our Installer Image nor a SSD installed on a different system is accepted as bootable by the PC's firmware. Can be something like Secure Boot enabled or forced legacy boot on EFI firmware bit there is no further feedback yet.

• I've come to the conclusion that this Asus AM1I-A motherboard is utter crap.

I have reset BIOS to defaults tried Generic LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-10.0.4.img.gz and again nothing

The BIOS is set at UEFI & Legacy by default tried it on that nothing

Set BIOS on Legacy only and again nothing

Set BIOS on UEFI and again nothing

Tried an older version Kodi 18.9 and again nothing

I know the cards are working fine because it let me install it on the same drive via 2 other PC's one a socket 1336 motherboard and another on a AM4 motherboard but soon as I put it the drive onto this Asus AM1I-A it doesn't find a boot device.

Question I haven't used Rufus in a while but can you use that instead of LibreELEC USB-SD Creator?

Thanks for any help

• I tried everything with it Grasshopper, the ssd had already been working in this machine since 2014 gradually updating till v19.5 but for some reason the machine would freeze all the time so I decided to do a fresh install and that's when all the trouble began.

But I spent sometime going through the BIOS last night setting each setting inside the USB configuration. I set USB device to Auto that didn't work set it to default which is half initialization that didn't work.

Finally set it to full initialization and guess what!! it finally worked how can one simple setting stop it from installing, I think I will pass this thing onto the daughter let her have it and I will just upgrade.

Thanks for everyone's help though it's been much appreciated.

• lojelo, glad to hear you got it working. Here is an explanation on fast boot and how it affected your attempts to do a install from usb.

BIOS is the first software loaded and it defines how the hardware should work, regardless of the OS.

Modern BIOS, specially UEFI like yours, has some "BIOS drivers" that are temporary loaded till the OS takes control and load their own drivers.

On boot, those "BIOS drivers" can take some time to be loaded and then replaced by OS drivers. Fast Boot or Partial Initialization, doesn't load "BIOS drivers" to save time but the hardware won't work till the OS is loaded.

I found out that the overall saved time is little so I have set "BIOS drivers" to Full Initialization (Fast boot=Off).

• It was the lack of sleep the day before and me not thinking straight so I had a few hours sleep yesterday and got back to it. Fast boot was disabled and the only other 1st thing to try was to go into the USB configuration something I didn't do 1st time around, so if it happens again and I forget I will just pop back on here as a reminder.