Unable to install, "no devices", x86-64

• Hello everybody,

I'm trying to do a fresh install of my HTPC. The system is based on a i7-6700T (Skylake) and uses a Samsung SSD. It currently runs Libreelec 8.5.2.

Now I want to go for a fresh install with the latest LibreElec but I am unable to install. I created an USB-stick with the installer and no errors were shown. When I boot from the device, the installer shows up. But, just as in this thread the installer reports that no devices were found. I assume it refers to the device to install upon.

The HTPC is functional, I can boot into it without the USB device.

I used the installer to write a log file, which is attached here.

My guess is that some settings regarding secure boot or UEFI are incorrect.

Does anybody have a hint for me how to proceed?

Best,

aks42

• Code
    cd /storage/.update
    wget https://releases.libreelec.tv/LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-10.0.3.tar
    cd /storage
    systemctl stop kodi
    mv /storage/.kodi /storage/.kodi-old
    reboot

If the current install boots/runs fine check the size of the boot partition. If it is ~230MB it's too small for a direct update to LE10 and you will need to figure out the install issue; hint, if you see the installer it's not a BIOS/EFI issue as it booted the installer. If it is ~512MB size the boot folder is large enough for a direct update. The commands above ^ download the LE 10.0.03 update file to the right place in preparation for a direct update. Then you stop Kodi, move the existing install files out of the way, and reboot to start the update. Once the update completes you will have a clean Kodi instance. You can then stop Kodi, copy essential bits of the old install from /storage/.kodi-old to /storage/.kodi (sources.xml, specific add-on settings, etc.) then restart Kodi to continue with setup. Rinse/repeat until things are as you need them again.

NB: Instructions saying you need to clean install for LE10 are not quite true. The OS and Kodi update with zero issues, but add-ons can cause major issues due to the Python 2 > Python 3 change. The process above avoids that by moving the old (and potentially problem) Kodi data including add-ons out of the way.

• Thank you for the hints!

First I expanded the /boot partition, it was ~518 MB, now its ~700 MB. This didn't change things.

Then I followed your commands. There were errors on the way, see attached screenshot. Afterwards I still had Libreelec 8 but the settings were reset (which is to be expected due to the "mv" command).

I am OK to repartition the system, there is nothing that needs to stay. A backup of all important data is ready. Is there a guide? Or should I simply clear the partition table, e.g. to an empty GPT one?

• Add touch /storage/.update/.nocompat to the update process (before reboot). Your old kernel is not able to mount recent squashfs images.

Thanks for the log, it helps to avoid the error in the future.

To erase the system disk press <Alt>-<F3> at the installer screen to switch to the debug console and type

Code
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M count=1

Then <Alt>-<F1> and continue to install.

Edit: in the meantime the current release is LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-10.0.4.tar

• I'm not sure why it's failing when the system was booting from the same SSD before. If the APPEND line in syslinux.cfg (on the SSD) shows boot=LABEL=LIBREELEC or boot=GUID=<long-guid-string> perhaps edit it to use boot=/dev/sda1 disk=/dev/sda2 instead. You can also try booting from an Ubuntu USB and using that to write the LE installer image directly to the SSD, then boot and run from itself (prob. called run from USB or such - it's years since I booted/installed Generic so I forget).

• Apologies for dragging up an old thread but kinda wish I'd found this thread earlier. Had assumed my SSD had failed a few months back, resorted to running from USB for a while. Decided today to replace the SSD but was unable to install to it. Damn thing would boot installer but SSD not found by the installer. Tried the run option and that worked, using the SSD as storage, so restored the backup I made from the USB I had going and all was back OK, albeit booting with the run option. My OCD got the better of me and I tried chewitt idea of editing the boot option on the original SSD, it worked!!! bought a goddam new SD for nothing.