Upgrading from RPi 3B

• Hi,

currently I'm using LibreELEC on a Raspberry Pi 3 B (no media attached, everything fetched over the network; connected to normal TV via Receiver; HDMI-CEC would be vital). Overall I'm happy with the setup, but I run into more and more issues which seem to be hardware limitations of the RPi 3 (memory, ability to play H.265 Full-HD, ...).

The logical upgrade path would be a RPi 4, but currently it is not really available.

So what other choices are there? My budget is around 100,- €.

Odroid C4? Banana, Orange, Rock Pi? Is LE the best choice for these devices or should I look elsewhere? Currently, 4K is not relevant, but of course will be become in the future...

Regards,

Oliver

• Although there is a shortage of the PCB boards, the Pi 400 seems to be in ready supply. So unless you're looking for a bare PCB this is also an option to consider. I just got one and it runs LibreElec just fine, I got the kit so it contains everything I need. I think the only major difference is that it is missing the 3.5mm audio jack and one USB 2.0 port, but it runs at a higher clock speed and has a heatsink. Something to consider, best of luck.

• Banana Pi M5 and Odroid C4 are supported by LE: Nightly Builds

Please wait for the comment of chewitt before buying. He knows about current state of development.

chewitt was answering. Both devices currently run best with CE. There is no clear winner. If you can't get an RPi4, pick one of those.

PS: If you only need 1080p, you can use LE nightly builds on both devices.

• Hi Guys,

many thanks for the valuable input.

I think I'll stick to the RaspPi 400. I wasn't aware that at the current price of 79,- € it is quite a bargain, compared to the alternatives (no need for case and new power supply). I'm not sure I can use the keyboard, though (I have to hide my RPi in a sideboard from my two toddlers, they've already killed my subwoofer...).

Regards,

Oliver

PS: That's getting really annoying. 5 min ago the RPi 400 was available for 79,90 incl. shipping. But no longer. The best current offer is >90,- € or the kit for 115,- :(

Edited once, last by Bedford (August 26, 2022 at 7:46 PM).

• Hi,

I finally got a RPi 400 (DE) for 79,90 € from the shop CvH mentioned. Fast delivery, good price, KODI seems to be working fine, so I'm quite happy.

Regards,

Oliver