Repeated crashes since upgrading from LibreELEC 9.2.x (Leia) to 10.0.2 (Matrix) on RPi3B+

• Hi there,

I've got a pretty similar problems since upgrading to the 10.0.2 version of LibreELEC (Matrix) from the 9.2 version. Hardware is a Pi3B+.

Irritatingly, symptoms are rather non-specific but range from (from the most to the least common):

• Picture freeze during playback randomly every 10 to 20 minutes. Sound is unaffected. Doesn't depend on file format: x264-encoded videos are as likely to be affected than TS files than MPEG-2.
    • Browsing through the media sources to find unindexed files randomly result in the GUI freezing and/or crashing LibreELEC altogether.
    • Volume setting doesn't seem memorized just before a crash: I usually set it pretty low while browsing movies, but whenever it reboots by itself, it blasts through the speakers if I don't mute the TV itself.
    • Randomly loses the connection with the keyboard but keeps on repeating the last received key until connection is restored.
    • After these crashes, LibreELEC restarts very slowly, sometimes multiple times, sometimes end up in Safe mode.
    • From time to time, cannot even paste logs (non-specific error comes out).
    • Sometimes, pressing "O" reveals one of the 4 cores is pegged at 100% for reasons unknown.

SD card still has around 5GB free, and isn't overclocked. No undervoltage or high temperature warning appear at those times. This LibreELEC installation only has about 302 days of use (most of these passive as I don't turn it off).

What could have gone wrong since upgrading?

• Please provide a full debug log.

How to post a log (wiki)

1. Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging
    2. Restart Kodi
    3. Replicate the problem
    4. Generate a log URL (do not post/upload logs to the forum)

use "Settings > LibreELEC > System > Paste system logs" or run "pastekodi" over SSH, then post the URL link
  • Edit: it first froze while I was trying to paste the Kodi & configuration journal, then crashed. After it rebooted itself, I atempted to get this to paste, but it would repeatedly fail to paste.

The second item in the menu, pasting the error log and Kodi config, is here: http://ix.io/48U8

It crashed today the 28th of August around 2:48

Yesterday the 27th of August, picture froze during playback while sound was still playing at 12:49.

Since it wouldn't paste, I downloaded /storage/.kodi/temp/kodi.log (as well as kodi.old.log). Is this the file we're looking for?

Edited 3 times, last by Cubytus (August 28, 2022 at 8:06 AM).

• Well, Da Flex specified "full debug logs", not "sanitized logs".

Second, nightlies are considered unstable; is it really wise to install an even more unstable version on a "production" machine? After all, this Kodi configuration was stable under 9.2.x, and total runtime isn't all that high.

If I follow your suggestion, will I be able to restore backed-up settings and library?

• First of all you should have done a clean installation of LE10, upgrading from LE9.2 isn't supported.

Secondly, I'm the main RPi developer / maintainer so you can trust me that using the LE10 nightly builds will work fine - they contain several important bugfixes since LE10.0.2.

Thirdly, don't restore a backup from your LE9.2 or LE10 installation, they will pull in your banned addons (and probably other stuff that will cause issues) and you won't get support here.

so long,

Hias

• Ok, that's much clearer now. I never thought upgrading would require a clean install, though. I can't recall how I upgraded from 8.x to 9.x.

Will upgrading from 10.x to the future 11.x be supported?

Can the media library be restored? Media files are a real pain to get indexed (tons of missing files that have to be corrected by hand)

• There were a lot of changes between 9.2 and 10 (completely new graphics stack on RPi, python 2->3 change etc) so it was a gamble if upgrading worked or not - hence our decision to not officially support it. LE10->11 should be a lot smoother (still there might be issues with addons, they have always been the main obstacles).

Migrating just your movies/music collection isn't too hard (search the forum, there have been detailed discussions about it).

Basically stop kodi (systemctl stop kodi), delete all MyVideos and MyMusic databases in .kodi/userdata/Database, copy the latest versions from your old installation there and also restore .kodi/userdata/sources.xml, then reboot (or start kodi again).

so long,

Hias

• I also have an RPi 3B+ and did a fresh installation of v10.0.2. However, this latest version can not play x265 videos and even some x264 files. Later I gave up and downgrade to v9.2.8. I guess RPi 3B+'s hardware is just not powerful enough for v10.0.2. There are some other threads discussing about this already.