VPN add-on Qs

• Are there any working OpenVPN client add ons for these nighties?

On my Coreelec boxes I use the Zomboided OpenVPN add on.

However after adding it's repository to the latest nightly, I get a 'could not connect to repository' error.

When traveling I use my home VPN server to provide access to my media, so it would be nice if I could get an OpenVPN client running.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

• Are there any working OpenVPN client add ons for these nighties?

On my Coreelec boxes I use the Zomboided OpenVPN add on.

However after adding it's repository to the latest nightly, I get a 'could not connect to repository' error.

When traveling I use my home VPN server to provide access to my media, so it would be nice if I could get an OpenVPN client running.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

I got a hold of the Zomboided dev, and he said that it is not ready for Kodi 20 at this time.

Does anyone know of an alternative way to add a openvpn client?

• Does anyone know of an alternative way to add a openvpn client?

Starting the OpenVPN Client service in LibreELEC from autostart.sh without using Zomboided is not difficult:

The easiest way to do it might be this:

• Put the .ovpn config file in /storage/.config directory
    • Put a text file with the access username on one line, and the password on another line in the file /storage/.config/login.txt
    • Open the .ovpn file with a text editor and replace 'auth-user-pass' with 'auth-user-pass /storage/.config/login.txt'
    • Finally, to start this service, include the following lines of code in /storage/.config/autostart.sh

(

sleep 20s

/usr/sbin/openvpn --daemon --config /storage/.config/<open-vpn-config-file>.ovpn &

)&

Edited once, last by elonesna (June 18, 2022 at 10:04 AM).

• I got a hold of the Zomboided dev, and he said that it is not ready for Kodi 20 at this time.

Does anyone know of an alternative way to add a openvpn client?

Yes, you can use what elonesna mentioned, or I gather the reason you wanted to use zomboided was the multitude of various providers on there in which case I suggest docker along with gluetun which automates the whole process.

It gives you status monitoring any killswitch. Give it a shot.

Also suggest looking into wireguard as alternative to openvpn if you set up your servers for wireguard or your vpn provider supports it.

• Yes, you can use what elonesna mentioned, or I gather the reason you wanted to use zomboided was the multitude of various providers on there in which case I suggest docker along with gluetun which automates the whole process.

Please elaborate on why you gathered that I wanted to use Zobboided because of the various providers?

I specifically called out that I wanted to access my OpenVPN server.

I will adjust my posts in the future to take your feedback into consideration.

• Thank you for your help.

That got me 80% of the way to working, and I figured the rest out on my own.

The output of the command line help me to figure out that there were issues with the ovpn file generated by my server too. So for anyone who uses a OVPN file generate by Fresh Tomato or other router based off DD-WRT, take a very close look at the OVPN file if you are having issues connecting.

• Please elaborate on why you gathered that I wanted to use Zobboided because of the various providers?

I specifically called out that I wanted to access my OpenVPN server.

I will adjust my posts in the future to take your feedback into consideration.

I only read your recent post asking an alternative to adding openvpn client nothing else. Generally speaking that add-on exists to make the process of connecting to vpn providers easily, even though it has the ability to use custom setups so I assumed, my mistake.

My suggestion to use gluetun would still stand as it offers the same + custom setup as well along with checking if your VPN connection is still working every 30s, out of the box and you can use webui to manage it.

If a toggleable button in UI is your goal (under connection in Kodi settings), I'm not sure if this will work but connman(the official one) supports openvpn connections as well but I don't know if libreelec version has that. As I understand it, it was implemented to make wireguard connections.