Status of HDR support x86/Intel NUC

• Hi,

for some years I was following the status of HDR support in Kodi for Intel NUC devices here:

Gedeon30
    November 23, 2018 at 7:33 PM

The latest test image from that thread worked nicely on my 7th gen NUC. Sadly that thread was closed and I could not find any further information regarding that topic since then.

So may I ask what the current status of this feature is or is there another thread where this topic is discussed? What is currently missing (roughly)? Is anything missing from Kodi? Is kernel development needed? Integration into LibreELEC?

Sorry for all the question, thanks for some answers.

• There seems to be ongoing HDR work for LibreElec’s RPi build at the moment so I guess we’ll see generic x86 HDR in official test builds soon (I hope).

In the mean time, smp did a recent HDR build of his generic LE version which you can find here on this thread:

HomerJau
    October 22, 2021 at 8:13 PM

I’m using this on two Intel NUC8i3BEK NUCs successfully.

• Thanks .can confirm works HDR and HD audio passthrough on an Apollo lake NUC6cay

I would love it use this as a daily driver but I have no access to the Kodi and librelec repository.is there and librelec 10 versions floating around or will I have to wait until Kodi 11 progresses

• I would love it use this as a daily driver but I have no access to the Kodi and librelec repository.is there and librelec 10 versions floating around or will I have to wait until Kodi 11 progresses

If you need official repos, try LE nightly: Click! To my knowledge, latest nightly builds also have HDR.

You can update by copying the img.gz file (use wget <YOUR_NIGHTLY_IMAGE_URL> on ssh) into /storage/.update, and reboot.

• Thanks

Just an update..My Hisense TV with the nuc outputs 8 bit RGB. After a reboot the blacks are washed out on startup..for some reason turning the tv off an on restores the blacks briefly but eventually it becomes washed out again..probably with a refresh rate change. On my amlogic device outputting yuv at 20 bit..picture flawless blacks deep etc..I would prefer to use the nuc as it is more stable but the picture is so much better on a s905x3 device and coreelec..any tips to get consistent good blacks would be great.

• That seems like a buggy firmware of your TV. Probably incorrectly detects RGB Full/Limited. Look if there is a setting that controls HDMI black level.

• Thanks there is a black level which is greyed out..it does look better when I don't limit the colour range..enable full range but I thought that was just for computer monitors?

• hi guys

just wanted to let you know that this issue was my TV, somehow the blacklevel setting became changeable and I changed it from auto to normal.

the problem was it was set to auto, and some of the auto modes washed out the picture, oddly enhanced black level washed it out the most.

thanks for everyones advice and tips

• If you need official repos, try LE nightly: Click! To my knowledge, latest nightly builds also have HDR.

You can update by copying the img.gz file (use wget <YOUR_NIGHTLY_IMAGE_URL> on ssh) into /storage/.update, and reboot.

Hi, I tried the latest nightly, no HDR support for my nuc6cay, only the SMP build works, not sure if i just got a bad nightly,

• Da Flex Your previous post that mentioned HDR in latest nightlies got me excited. I was intending giving it a try. Maybe the 6th Gen NUC isn’t supported?

This reminds me to thank smp again for his HDR builds. Thanks! I’ve been getting HDR for over 12 months now and it makes 4K really pop on my LG OLEDs. I couldn’t go back to SDR after seeing HDR.

• I think only RPi is supported for HDR in nightlies.

Kodi 20 is when Linux HDR is meant to be added so maybe in RC1 it will be there maybe.

who knows

we know it works 70% of the time from the SMP builds so its coming along at least