No sound over hdmi, connects as DVI

• First things first, I am a new libre/kodi on PI user, but a long time kodi/xbmc user (original xbox back in 2006ish). The device i've been using for the last few years just got too slow and unsupported (Wetek Openelec box), so I thought I would get a pi 4b 4gb for kodi.

My first issue was no video. I have a cheap older 1080p tv, its nothing special at all but it works. The pi would show the rainbow square and then the screen would go to sleep. I fixed that with adding video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080@60 but by doing this the tv now connects to the pi using "DVI". I would like to get audio of hdmi to work as I had it before. In kodi settings under audio devices there are no options for HDMI. I have done a lot of searching, and found many conflicting reports but no solutions.

Here is a pastebin of my monitor edid which says it has audio over hdmi (I have used it with other devices):

External Content pastebin.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Also, this seems strange:

Code
    LibreELEC:~ # tvservice -m CEA
    Group CEA has 0 modes:

I have tried multiple HDMI cables (all work with other devices)

I am using the Argon One V2 case.

Any ideas?

Edited once, last by dwhacks: More info (December 4, 2021 at 2:28 AM).

• I am using the Argon One V2 case. Any ideas?

We're all getting a bit fed up of random problems with Argon One case users. So before we go any further .. remove the board from the case and start with a clean image (or remove all boot configuration you attempted) and see if the issues all magically solve themselves.

• I figured you might say that.... and I was both hopping you were right and wrong at the same time. Alas, with case removed no difference.

Stock "cmdline.txt" and "config.txt" results in the rainbow square and then a black screen.

Adding "video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080@60" to cmdline.txt allows it to boot but the screen detects it in DVI mode, just like with the case.

If I add:

Code
    hdmi_group=1
    hdmi_mode=16
    hdmi_force_hotplug=1
    hdmi_drive=2

to my config then my tv detects the rainbow square as "1080p hdmi" but then chages to "1080p dvi" for the libreelec splash.

still no hdmi audio in the "audio output device" setting. I am using the HDMI closest to the USB C port.

Edited once, last by dwhacks: re-worded (December 4, 2021 at 5:00 PM).

• dwhacks

Sorry to ask stupid question but:

1. Did you remove the Raspberry Pi from the Argon One V2 Case ?

2. Did you use the correct HDMI-Port of the Raspberry ?

It's the one near the USB-C Power Supply

3. Did you use any adapter from Micro-HDMI to HDMI like this

https://www.amazon.com/-/de/dp/B07JFLM2VP/ref=sr_1_5?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&keywords=mini+hdmi+to+hdmi+adapter&qid=1638633311&sr=8-5

or did you use a Cabel like this

https://www.raspberrypi.com/products/micro…d-hdmi-a-cable/ ?

• Niceguy

1.Yes

2. Yes

3. No adapter, a 1m Micro to full sized hdmi cable. I will try and source another, as the two I have are both from pishop.ca

Use video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080@60D instead.

What does the D do? Some how I thought it would force DVI mode. I had tried it before, but I will try again with the D, without the case and report back.

• Niceguy

What does the D do? Some how I thought it would force DVI mode. I had tried it before, but I will try again with the D, without the case and report back.

I think it's a typo, it must be "P" for "Progressive", but I can be wrong

So it's 1920x1080 (Resolution) @ 60Hz Progessive

• It's not a typo, and please stop hijacking threads with advice if you don't actually know the answer.

Yes, Mister "I am the King here and I know all" !

What's wrong with you ?

Didn't you understand "…but I can be wrong" ?

I noticed that you can't stand any criticism (It's never your fault and the people here that got problems and asking questions are all to stupid to use you're "Excellent piece of Software") and that you want to run this board alone with your pals "Da Flex" and "Klojum".

You're absolutely not interested in other people who want to help.

I though this is a board where people can share their opinion and help each other, but I guess I'm wrong.

Please delete my Account so that I can never show up here and bother you again !

• You're absolutely not interested in other people who want to help.

Actually, we are. But the level of help that you have tried offering isn't helping others. Most of us here have been working with XBMC, OpenELEC, Kodi, LibreELEC for close to 20 years. I think we have a pretty good idea by now where Kodi and LibrELEC problems can start.

Also, this is the forum of the LibreELEC team, it's not your personal yelling platform, where you can intrude as you please. Internet forums have a certain etiquette.

The attitude you just showed is not welcome here. Constructive criticism is of course welcome, but your 'help' and criticism turned into yelling at those creating the LibreELEC product. Your previous topic accused us of removing certain options in the new version. That was also totally unfounded. That's a pattern we want to avoid.

Perhaps you can take a breather and for the time being stick to getting your own Kodi setup to work properly. In case of another outburst towards LibreELEC Team Members, your forum account will be closed promptly.

• Thanks for the info, but no change with the D.

The only thing I can think of is my HDMI cable or my old TV, but they did work with the WeTek play for audio over HDMI. Maybe I will see if I can find one in the local stores tomorrow, but its pretty slim pickings in the small town.

Any other ideas or info I can gather?

• Any other ideas or info I can gather?

Run:

Code
    edid-decode /sys/devices/platform/gpu/drm/card0/card0-HDMI-A-1/edid

It should have an "Audio Data Block", e.g.

Code
    Audio Data Block:
    Linear PCM:
    Max channels: 2
    Supported sample rates (kHz): 192 176.4 96 88.2 48 44.1 32
    Supported sample sizes (bits): 24 20 16

I suspect yours does not. If it doesn't then it would be possible to report audio support by using an edid file that reports audio support.

• Does video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080@60eD ("e" for "hdmi_force_hotplug") change something?

My tv still says "1920x1080p DVI" when the pi4 boots into kodi and I do not have an HDMI audio in output devices.

I also do not have analog output (3.5mm jack) unless I add "dtparam=audio=on" to my config.txt

Code
    LibreELEC:~ # edid-decode /sys/devices/platform/gpu/drm/card0/card0-HDMI-A-1/edid
    EDID extract of '/sys/devices/platform/gpu/drm/card0/card0-HDMI-A-1/edid' failed: unknown format.

Well that didn't go as expected.....

• I have tried multiple HDMI cables (all work with other devices)

Does this include other 4K devices? If not, make sure you are using a cable conform to HDMI 2.0 or 2.1 standard. Those are made to deal with 4K data rate. I think something is fishy with your current HDMI connection.

• I do not have any 4k devices. My TV is a cheap older 1080p "dynex" and that's all I've got. Sound through HDMI worked with my older kodi box on this tv. with these HDMI cables, and also works for my computer/computer monitor.

I will either order a new HDMI cable, or see if I can borrow one for testing. But I still don't understand why it would work with the old Wetek box, and not with the rpi4.