Something wrong here?

• I thought I might try LE 10 on my Pi3 -B so I downloaded the creator program and the Le10 build for RPi. It completed successfully with no errors. The usb stick refuses to boot on my computer with no screen error just a blinking cursor. I thought maybe something on my PC so I tried booting with an older 6.2 LE build on it with no problem. Humm. Something else wrong here?

• Which of the nightly builds might I try for the Pi3 B? I'm not familiar with the naming conventions. I see RPi2 builds then RK3? A bit confusing to this newbie.

What I'm saying is I never got that far. The install usb would not boot.

I'll give one of those a try and thank you.

Same issue. The usb stick (from the usb creator) will not boot. Only a blinking cursor. It seems odd because I can boot an older version previously installed on another usb stick no problem. I've downloaded the install creator three times and the last try with build suggested and same results. Any thoughts?

Edited 3 times, last by Reddirt: Merged a post created by Reddirt into this post. (November 27, 2021 at 5:18 PM).

• It seems odd because I can boot an older version previously installed on another usb stick no problem.

Well, in any case, the RPi3 and RPi4 are totally different beasts, their installation images will not work on their opposite sides.

If you still want to run a nightly on the RPi3, note that H265/HEVC support is broken, and likely indefinitely.

• I decided it's time for a shiny new RPi4 so that's my next project and I understand. I'm still stuck on the sd-usb creator issue. I've prepared two different usb sticks of different brands and sizes and neither will boot up on my Windows PC. I have a few other usb sticks with LE9.2 on them which still boot up just fine. What would cause this?

• I decided it's time for a shiny new RPi4 so that's my next project and I understand. I'm still stuck on the sd-usb creator issue. I've prepared two different usb sticks of different brands and sizes and neither will boot up on my Windows PC. I have a few other usb sticks with LE9.2 on them which still boot up just fine. What would cause this?

maybe a test with an window install image to exclude it's the usb stick itself:

on windows:

open a terminal with admin rights and key in the following commands (all after "#" are comments not commands !) :

diskpart

list disk

select disk N # adjust "N"

detail disk # to see you selected the correct disk

clean # cause this will move your data to /dev/null 8)

create partition primary

format fs=ntfs quick

assign

active

exit

now unzip [1] or mount under linux a windows install dvd and copy the content to the stick

does the stick boot (now) ?

no: [2]

[1]

don't known if the windows buildin zipper is that smart.

if not:

Download

[2]

H2testw
    H2testw erkennt gefälschte USB-Sticks, indem es deren tatsächliche Speicherkapazität ermittelt. Auch andere Wechselmedien sowie Festplatten lassen sich testen.
    www.heise.de

from the included readme (please read at first !) :

"... H2testw was developed to test USB sticks for various kinds of errors. ..."

• Joe,

The short answer is no go. I followed all the steps you provided. Everything completed successfully until boot time and now it says "Error Locked" or something of that nature.

So....I fired up my Linux Mint machine but couldn't download the gz file as a Unicorn invasion was indicated. So I used the file downloaded from the Windows system. Selected make a bootable USB stick in Linux and lo and behold.....same results. Just a blinking cursor. I'm assuming this is not just a windows issue. I have maybe 5 usb sticks and I've tried three of them all with like results.

I would have tried the H2testw but my German is limited to Please and thank you. ;)

• I would have tried the H2testw but my German is limited to Please and thank you.

well, "german" "download" is the same as the english "download" ;)

the file downloaded and unzipped provides an (english) readme !

other way:

*long* format the stick under windows and "chdsk /F ..." (see: chkdsk /?)

dumb question:

you tried the windows install usb stick on a windows box ?

hint:

with an the windows installer stick, even with elder GPU's, it needs some time until the setup/install window appears (seen with elder Intel GPU, HD4000, Ivy Bridge)

time to shovel ~4GB (win10) from an slow (?) usb stick into RAM !

So....I fired up my Linux Mint machine but couldn't download the gz file

md5 checksum to compare:

da23178c4b1d9700842d7df9386e95e6 LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-11.0-nightly-20211127-b9d3fa5.img.gz

it's the last but one file in the list from comment #5

and for the LE usb creator:

3e094fac708fa3008864260e820ba1c7 LibreELEC.USB-SD.Creator.Linux-64bit.bin

• Reddirt I think you misunderstood the process. Tools like USB-SD Creator or Etcher are programs who run natively on your OS (Windows or Linux). They write the LE image (in your case RPi2 img.gz) to a USB port, where you have to attach a USB-to-microSD adapter. I'm using a USB-to-SD adapter, and the SD card is an SD-to-microSD adapter. So the goal is to write to microSD, not creating a bootable USB stick.

• Thanks Da Flex. Trust me I fully understand the creator program and have been using it for years on multiple devices. I simply noticed when I downloaded and ran the creator program to make a bootable usb to prepare the micro sd card it will not boot on my PC. I have two other usb sticks I made over the years that have older LE versions that still boot just fine.

I thought I would get the LE10 install usb ready for a Pi4 and cant make it boot. Multiple attempts and yesterday it reported "locked" or something similar.

Thanks Joe. Using a newer i7-9700k. On the off chance I got impatient I'll run it again and see if maybe some sort of timing issue is the culprit.

:)

Edited 2 times, last by Reddirt: Merged a post created by Reddirt into this post. (November 28, 2021 at 5:19 PM).

• I still don't get it. Why do you need a "bootable USB", if USB-SD Creator and Etcher run natively on your OS (Windows / Linux)? The only bootable result should be the microSD card.

• An apology is in order here. I just went over my notes from years ago and my face is red. I've been playing with x86 builds for so long I lost sight of the differences. Of course what a putz! You can't boot an x86 with an arm build! Sorry for the time wasted here guys. What can I say? When you're 7.4 decades old I suppose my checksums are off a bit.

Forgive me. :angel: