Soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 22s

• I upgraded to LE10 and all seemed fine until a reboot, my AMD A4 x64 PC is locking up on startup with 'BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 22s!' Oddly if I entered the bios and exited with no save it will load up fine.

Details as follows

LibreELEC 10.0.0 (kernel: Linux 5.10.47) Build 19.1.0 Compiled 2021-08-10

GPU: AMD KABINI (DRM 2.5.0, 5.10.47, LLVM 11.0.1)

CPU: AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 798 Mhz

Memory: 8GB

After a bit of googling I discovered a fix for the issue and updated the file /proc/sys/kernel/watchdog_thresh from value 10 to 20, but unfortunately, this did not fix my issue.

Would anyone have any advice? thank you.

• Sounds to me like a Linux kernel bug that slipped into the 5.10...

What did you use before 10.0.0 ?

BTW, 10.0.1 is out. Does that fix anything?

• Sounds to me like a Linux kernel bug that slipped into the 5.10...

What did you use before 10.0.0 ?

BTW, 10.0.1 is out. Does that fix anything?

Was using 9.2 before.

Downloading 10.0.1 now fingers crossed it fixes the issue, I'll report back. Thank you.

• I'm very pleased to report that it looks like updating to 10.0.1 has fixed the issue. I have rebooted half a dozen times now and no sign of the CPU stuck issue. Thank you!!

I also had another issue with my tuners not displaying in TVHeadend, and it seems to have fixed that too!

All that is left for me is to try and get the LAMP add-in working as I used to have a basic webpage on port 80.

• I have just enabled the add-in 'dvb drivers from latest kernel' and the cpu#0 stuck error is back!! Looks like this was actually the issue, disabling it will then stop the error!

So just a coincidence that I disabled it before I updated it to 10.0.1.

• it is easily possible that some random problem is created by that, no fix for that

if you don't need the "latest dvb drivers" don't activate them !

• it is easily possible that some random problem is created by that, no fix for that

if you don't need the "latest dvb drivers" don't activate them !

Thanks, yes I have disabled them and all is working fine now. :thumbup:

I had enabled them while troubleshooting my DVB card not being recognised on a restart. They do work fine on a cold boot or resume from suspend, so no big deal. If I need to restart, i'll turn it off and on again :)

• Sorry to report that the issue is not fixed in 10.0.1.

I used LibreELEC on a macmini3,1 and i have the same issue to report.

Version 9.2.6 is running without "BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 22s!" issue, but everything above will causes the "BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 22s!" error.

'dvb drivers from latest kernel' is disabled on my system. Sometime "BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 22s!" is followed by an Samba deamon failure as well, but even disabling Samba causes the "BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 22s!" error.

I know macmini3,1 is not the best Hardware to run LibreELEC ... but it's fancy ;)

Cheers

• Hi all,

I recognized that the issue not appears when I boot the harddrive connected via USB and not via internal SATA bus.

So ...

Connect and boot HDD via internal SATA directly -> "BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 22s!" issue

No internal HDD and connect and boot via external USB HDD -> NO "BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 22s!" issue

Same SATA HDD ... I test with different installations and different HDD/SSD. All the same result.

Cheers

• A Mac mini 3, not everyone will have that specific hardware to test and be able to reproduce your DVB error(s)...

Is there even a (crash) log available?

• Thanks for the reply ...

As you can see from the starting post, the issues is not related to a macmini3,1 only ...

I already enabled "debug" mode and check the logs, but it looks like the issue occurs before the looks will be written, or I'm doing something wrong ??

• BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for ... is a watchdog message whenever a kernel thread is not releasing the CPU for a long time.

If for OP it disappears by not using latest DVB drivers and for you by not using the SATA interface it is likely something different.

Kernel log buffer size can be increased by adding e.g. log_buf_len=2M to the APPEND line in /flash/syslinux.cfg. To increase Systemd journal size enable persistent logs in LE Settings Addon.

• hi mglae,

i will give it a try ... but how can i make changes to /flash/syslinux.cfg ... for me it seems to read only ...

Anyway, I enabled persistent logging again (also did before, but I not found the "BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 22s!" in logs). Maybe i searched in the wrong logs ...

second ... I don't understand what you mean with "by not using the SATA interface" ... I only got the error message when it try to boot LE from a SATA boot device. I never get the the error when I try to boot LE from a USB boot device.

Thanks

• but how can i make changes to /flash/syslinux.cfg

Code
    mount -o rw,remount /flash

I only got the error message when it try to boot LE from a SATA boot device. I never get the the error when I try to boot LE from a USB boot device

If for OP it disappears by not using latest DVB drivers and for you by not using the SATA interface it is likely something different.

Exactly what I tried to say?!

• okay ... double negative ... I got that wrong ... Sorry

Anyway I changed the settings in syslinux.cfg. Let's give it a try.

For some other reasons I changed LE settings to wait 10sec for network ... After I did that changed the "BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 22s!" never appear again ... until now ... hope and wait ...

Many thanks !!