Wifi USB dongle recommendation

• Hello,

I have libreelec installed on a standard PC and I bought a USB dongle tp-link archer T3U thinking it was simply plug'n'play but I discovered it's not compatible.

I was connected by wire before but now I have to switch to wireless.

Could you suggest a compatible device that libreelec would recognize?

Thank you

• Go to Best Answer
  • @Cehraphaim

Did you connect your TP-Link Stick to an USB2 or an USB3 Port of your PC ?

If it was USB3 than try an USB2 Port.

On my PC I'm still running LibreELEC 9.2.8 and got an AVM FRITZ!WLAN Stick AC860 (which is USB3).

At first I was connecting the Stick to an USB3 Port and it didn't work, but after I put it in an USB2 Port it works fine.

• No one knows a dongle that works?

you could dive into this link to find out what's working and how:

info's what's in the kernel - not up to date though -

en:users [Linux Wireless]

no option to install a PCI-E a card with an Intel M.2 wifi card on it (to get your speed claims: wifi ac/ax) ?

like a

- GigaByte GC-WBAX210 (with a Intel AX210)

- GigaByte GC-WBAX200 (with a Intel AX200)

• I'll see if I can install a pci express wifi card

It was also an option

I was just looking for a USB dongle out of lazyness to open the computer...

Thanks a lot for the references

• I was just looking for a USB dongle out of lazyness to open the computer...

a Wlan-Repeater with a LAN port ... (nearly the same price tag as a PCI-E with m.2 Wifi) and more future proofed, I guess, even when exchanging your box in some month/years with something with a wifi buildin (Intel NUC...)

• I have all devices that need performance connected via Ethernet but for dev work I'm often fiddling with something in a location that doesn't have an Ethernet cable nearby and the device doesn't have working WiFi support. I solve that with an old Apple A1rport express in bridge mode .. the last one I picked up from eBay was $12, and all I do is plug in a short-ish Ethernet cable to the device and ta-da it's on the LAN.

• Hello

I know you don't want to make a list of compatible wifi dongles but could you at least advise me one or two to buy?

I just bought this one which is not detected by my Libreelec.

Adaptateur USB WiFi Bluetooth, 600Mbps Clé WiFi Dongle Double Bande 2.4/5.8 GHz Bluetooth 4.2 sans Fil Adaptateur Réseau Carte WiFi pour Portable PC de Bureau Windows 10/8/8.1/7
    Adaptateur USB WiFi Bluetooth, 600Mbps Clé WiFi Dongle Double Bande 2.4/5.8 GHz Bluetooth 4.2 sans Fil Adaptateur Réseau Carte WiFi pour Portable PC de Bureau…
    www.amazon.fr

It would be cool if I could not buy a dozen before I got a compatible one.

thanks in advance

• It would be cool if I could not buy a dozen before I got a compatible one.

one part to prevent buying a dozen is to read the spec's of that device *before* buying them.

regarding your currently bought device *I* can't find the keywords: "compatible avec Linux" to begin with ... [1]

so why do you wonder it's not detected by LE ?

[1]

and I wouldn't be satisfied if I would find one, but only with self-compiled driver support (- apart from the workload every time the kernel changes - it might work today, but tomorrow ?)

googled was "linux RTL8821CU"

P.S:

*I* provided a link in comment #5 leading to further links "Theme: WLAN, in-tree (!!!) linux-driver, mailing lists, etc."

all you need is to search the ML's and/or the internet for the chip (in this case:) "RTL8821CU"

• could you at least advise me one or two to buy?

TP-Link Nano Routeur 300 Mbps Wi-Fi N, Support mode Répéteur/ mode Point d'accès/ mode Routeur/ mode Pont/ mode Client, 1 Port Ethernet, 1 Port USB, Idéal pour la maison et le voyage (TL-WR802N)
    TP-Link Nano Routeur 300 Mbps Wi-Fi N, Support mode Répéteur/ mode Point d'accès/ mode Routeur/ mode Pont/ mode Client, 1 Port Ethernet, 1 Port USB, Idéal pour…
    www.amazon.fr

You can attach your device via LAN to it, no configuration needed (besides one time setup for the box) and just works.

• Thank you for your answers.

The nano wifi router and the key with the large antenna do not suit me.

I think I'm going to another key but this time compatible with linux (the remark is good).

Thanks again to everyone

• I joined the forum just to be able to reply to this thread. I use Libreelec version Generic.x86_64-10.0.2. I think I'm lucky because I solved it in 2 ways:
    A - I connected via USB an old mobile phone (NGM Forward-Next still in my heart, but no longer usable) with Android 4.2.2 and I activated USB tethering. In my phone you can reach the menu in this way: settings/advanced wireless settings/tethereing-hotspot/usb tethering.

Nothing else to do. Libreelec consider it as a cable connection, in fact it doesn't ask for SSID or Password, it simply connect to the LAN.
    It works perfectly, but every time I turn on the mediacenter I have to reactivate the tethering of the phone (it's just a tap, but I'm too lazy :angel: ).

B - I bought a M-TK moveteck model GT837 key which in the package says it is supported by linux. I connected it and it works, nothing else to do. Obviously from the Libreelec settings you need to indicate the SSID and password of the WiFi you are connecting to. Only one attention, If connected to USB 3 (the blue usb port) it is much slower. I don't know why, so use the USB with black color.

If some expert can explain better it would be interesting.

The speed between the 2 methods is exactly the same.

I hope this post could be useful