LE so broken on RPi4 it's actually useless

• I've got a new RPi4 to replace my old RPi2 and i'm sad to see the state LE's in on it. I've tried both 9.2.7 and beta 3 of LE10. LE10 doesn't even boot, screen stays black after the "partition expanding" text. 9.2.7 has so much tearing in any screen mode it's actually hard to use it, sometimes the playback gets stuck in such a way that when I return it through the "fullscreen" button in UI, the screen just freezes.

Also, remote of my Samsung NU8000 TV doesn't work in LE10.

Any tips? Both of these are clean installs on freshly formatted cards. I don't think this is normal, I have none such issues on the Pi2. Thanks.

Edited once, last by Stooovie (June 8, 2021 at 8:11 PM).

• Official Post

The sad state of an RPi4B here is .. 92 days of uptime since a deliberate clean reinstall (moving from 9.2.x to 10.x) and the only reboots have been when updating the OS image (self-builds, but tracking the official releases). No issues with install or boot, same as 9.2.x.

/shrug

• Official Post

LE10 doesn't even boot, screen stays black after the "partition expanding" text. 9.2.7 has so much tearing in any screen mode it's actually hard to use it, sometimes the playback gets stuck in such a way that when I return it through the "fullscreen" button in UI, the screen just freezes.

Tearing in any screen mode, but it doesn't even boot..? That's a bit weird.

Are you running the RPi4 in 4K at 30Hz..?

Sometimes the playback gets stuck in such a way that when I return it through the "fullscreen" button in UI, the screen just freezes.

Provide a full debug-enabled log file after playing one of your problem videos.

Right now there are so many variables that giving direct solutions is impossible.

Please provide a full debug log.

How to post a log (wiki)

1. Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging
    2. Restart Kodi
    3. Replicate the problem
    4. Generate a log URL (do not post/upload logs to the forum)

use "Settings > LibreELEC > System > Paste system logs" or run "pastekodi" over SSH, then post the URL link
  • Tearing in any screen mode, but it doesn't even boot..? That's a bit weird.

No, as I clearly stated, 10 beta didn't boot and 9.2.7 had tearing. The 10b4 eventually booted on third try (new Pi, new card, all official kit). It's buggy but it sort of works now. I'm using Kodi since the XBMC days on Pi 1, have had a 1, 2, 3 and 4 but this (4) my worst experience by far.

New issue: screen goes black after rebooting, right after LE logo, and doesn't come up again. I need to physically reset the device for it to work again. Logs are here and here.

Thanks.

• No issues here. I am running 10b4 and apart from the missing de-interlacing, it has not missed a beat.

I did have random screen going black for no reason, but replaced the micro-hdmi to hdmi adaptor with a good quality micro-hdmi to hdmi cable and this fixed it. Also make sure you are using a decent power supply.

• I've had issues with a new Rpi4.

Works great with completely clean installs of LE10b3 and nightly, but no de-interlacing is a deal breaker for me as I pretty much exclusively use the Rpis as TVHeadend front ends to view live TV and recordings around the home.

A completely clean install of LE9.2.6(or 7) works a lot of the time with most material except MMAL hardware decoded 1080i h264. This will often freeze the player when starting so either a spinning circle is permanently seen or the UI just tears to blazes and freezes. Sometimes the back button will enable navigating the UI overlay so the Reboot option can be found and executed, sometimes not. Sometimes playback will start OK but then freeze as above when skipping forward/backward.

LE9.2.6 works perfectly on an older Rpi4, as does turning off hardware MMAL decoding on the new one, but then the frame drops are horrendous.

Essentially it seems this new Rpi4 is unable to play 1080i h264 reliably with Kodi 18 or 19. As the hardware decode in LE10 works (albeit without de-interlace) I'm not sure it's a physical hardware problem, my guess would be a firmware issue, perhaps related to a new Rpi4 board revision?

Guess I'm watching SD on this box until Kodi 19 gets hardware de-interlace :|

PS tried all the usual swapping power supplies/SD cards to known good ones, eliminating everything except the pi ;)

Edited 2 times, last by sihy (June 12, 2021 at 11:02 PM).

• im using rpi4 with le10 and works fine.. i get some reboot when using keyboard auto complete, but hdr and 4k is fine.. and i let it running at 1080 and let it swtch to 4k if the source is 4k..

maybe is a firmware issue? i was havint some (unable to) reboot issues with version 2021-03-18 (lasted in libreelec menu) reflashed the 2020-09-03 and all running fine again