Upcoming changes

• Sorry if this question has already been asked before but as Kodi went from Pyhthon 2 to Python 3 I'm curious whether it will be possible to just update from LE 9 to LE 10 or will it be necessary to install LE 10 from scratch?

Thanks.

• Can someone elaborate on why support for raspberry pi 1 is discontinued. I'm currently running LibreElec 9.2.6 on Rasberry pi 1 B+ and it streams 1080p video without any issues. I had to turn off MMAL acceleration, otherwise the video stutters. When the Raspberry pi 1 B+ first came out it was marketed as capable of playing 1080p so what changed?

It's old hardware, and developer resources are limited so it's understandable that development is discontinued, but that's not the reason given.

Also, thanks to the LibreElec team for their great work!

• Can someone elaborate on why support for raspberry pi 1 is discontinued.

RPi0/1 devices need to use the older OMX decoder to run well with recent Kodi versions, and support for OMX (and MMAL) no longer exists in K19. Support was removed as part of the long-term cleanup/removal of vendor-proprietary decoding methods in Kodi. The newer GBM/V4L2 video pipeline needs more than 512MB to run well, so we have discontinued support. You can continue using LE 9.2.

• Sorry for this question but did I get this right that the release of LE10 will first be for Generic devices and will be released for other platforms successively after that?

Nope. It will be released simultaneously for Generic, RPi4, and the current roster of Allwinner and Rockchip devices. Everything else is either still in a developmental state or discontinued.

• Nope. It will be released simultaneously for Generic, RPi4, and the current roster of Allwinner and Rockchip devices. Everything else is either still in a developmental state or discontinued.

Alright, now I understand that I don't have to check everyday whether it has been released or not since this will surely take a couple of weeks until all those platforms are ready for the official release.

Thank you for clearing this up.

• Yes. However, it will be up to the already installed add-ons whether there are updated versions available with Python 3 support. If not, then those add-ons will be disabled.

Just to clarify, this disabling won't apply to something like say an installation of Plex as an add-on where the Python2.7 libraries are self-contained within that service?

• Hello all! I have a nvidia and as I underdtand, after libreelec 10, it won’t be supported anymore or did I get it wrong ?

Recommend the RockPro64 or Rock64 chip boards. I'm still running the Le Potato board I purchased for $10 US and it supports 4K. I did have to plug-in a cheap wifi USB dongle, but it works perfectly fine and LibreElec is quite awesome with it.

• Hello there,

Thank you for the information and the hard work provided by the libreELEC team!

May I just confirmed that my understanding of the announcement is correct, LE v10 which will run Kodi 19 - Matrix will be available for Wetek Hub (Soc S905-H revision C) done the line?

Also, following the announcement from coreELEC to stop supporting amlogic S905 & S912 due to their kernel not being maintained by amlogic any longer. Is there plan to stop supporting those SOC in the near future?

• Did I Understand properly regarding hardware decoding on RPi 2 that mpeg2 video won't work anymore with rpi licences but is done via software?

Main issue is will live Tv be affected?

• Hardware decoding (with licenses) will still work on RPi2/3.

Major issues on RPi2/3 are that the video driver currently has a severe problem (video cuts out and needs reboot), GPU accelerated HEVC decoding and deinterlacing doesn't work (deinterlacing also doesn't work on RPi4).

Therefore we decided to do the initial LE10 releases only for RPi4 - RPi2 will follow later, when the major bugs are ironed out.

so long,

Hias

• Hardware decoding (with licenses) will still work on RPi2/3.

Major issues on RPi2/3 are that the video driver currently has a severe problem (video cuts out and needs reboot), GPU accelerated HEVC decoding and deinterlacing doesn't work (deinterlacing also doesn't work on RPi4).

Therefore we decided to do the initial LE10 releases only for RPi4 - RPi2 will follow later, when the major bugs are ironed out.

so long,

Hias

Thanks for quick info..I asked as I v seen a post elsewhere that has nothing to do with LE, which made me wonder:

There is no support for hardware accelerated VC-1 or MPEG2 on Raspberry Pi, even on existing devices where codec packs have been purchased.

There is also no deinterlacing for Live TV with hardware acceleration on Raspberry Pi, but we are hoping that support is introduced later at some point with a Kodi 19 point release. This should be less of an issue on Raspberry Pi 4, which should be able to handle deinterlacing in software.