RPi4 testbuild with HDR support

• THX!

EDIT 1:

How is it possible to get information about HDR ?

Just locking in debug log ?

EDIT 2:

in another topic somebody talk about a HDR Logo which pop up on the bginning of a video.

Is this included in this build?

On my TV no popup is coming ...

Edited 2 times, last by JohnWayne111: Ein Beitrag von JohnWayne111 mit diesem Beitrag zusammengefügt. (February 8, 2022 at 10:58 PM).

• I think HDR on LE working greally great now, only problems left that annoys me is skipping with true hd (crash and reboots) and subtitles being too white.

thanks alot everybody

• and subtitles being too white.

If it's any consolation: the official Netflix app on my LG OLED has the same issue - I simply changed the color to grey instead of white, that's still OK-ish with SDR content and a lot better with HDR.

so long,

Hias

• Many thanks for your work Hias.

I just switched my rpi4-2Gb ram from unstable nighty builds LE11... to your HDR build and it super stable.

Thank you again.

Any chance for a LE10 beta build for rpi3 ?

• yes

so long,

Hias

Running it for the afternoon, unfortunately it has the same issue as 10.0.1 where it keeps powering my AVR/TV back on after shutdown.

I don't want to revert back to 10.0.0 and lose the HDR improvements, but it's an incredibly frustrating bug. I've seen this reported several times in the forums and I've been hoping that 10.0.2 will finally address it while keeping the HDR improvements. Is this a difficult issue to remedy? What changed between 10.0.0 and your dev version/10.0.1 that can't be switched back regarding AVR/TV CEC power?

Either way I appreciate your work and attempt to provide a working dev version.

• Running it for the afternoon, unfortunately it has the same issue as 10.0.1 where it keeps powering my AVR/TV back on after shutdown.

Please keep discussion in this thread to HDR, there's already a thread about the AVR issue- post your issue there:

The experimental patch is in my builds since a month ago, I don't use an AVR so can't help much here.

so long,

Hias

• Please keep discussion in this thread to HDR, there's already a thread about the AVR issue- post your issue there:

The experimental patch is in my builds since a month ago, I don't use an AVR so can't help much here.

so long,

Hias

I did as you suggested and posted my experience in that thread. If you mean to say that an experimental patch to address this issue is included in your builds then it appears that it doesn't fix the issue, at least in my relatively normal AVR/TV setup using the build you posted above. Hopefully, a developer with an AVR can figure this out for inclusion in the next 10.0.2 release. Thanks again for your help.

• Hi!

I have a question. I use this build and wondered if there is a link for updated build or if I have to check this thread from time to time to see if a new version is uploaded?

• congrats on 10.0.2 and HDR included and working perfectly!

About true hd issue, is it being worked on or should I just go on and convert to FLAC stream instead?

• Hello there,

maybe i missed something and this turns out to be a pretty stupid question but I am pretty sure I double checked my Rpi4 with Libreelec 10.0.2:

has the HDR tonemapping support (HDR Source -> SDR Display) been dropped/removed in 10.0.2 compared to 10.0.1?

I am 99,99% sure that I had an additional option in the video settings while playing HDR sources to enable a tonemapping (choose from multiple algorithms) to port it down to SDR that worked very well.

But after updating to 10.0.2 it seems I am missing that option.

What did I miss?

• What did I miss?

You miss the fact that RPi4 does not support HDR > SDR tonemapping. There is no IP block on the chip to handle this translation in hardware and since 99.9999% of HDR media is 4K it's never going to be practical to handle this in software. Perhaps you have other devices which do have this capability?

• You miss the fact that RPi4 does not support HDR > SDR tonemapping. There is no IP block on the chip to handle this translation in hardware and since 99.9999% of HDR media is 4K it's never going to be practical to handle this in software. Perhaps you have other devices which do have this capability?

I have multiple Kodi devices, indeed. They all share the same MariaDB.
    One is a Windows Server driven HTPC-Server-Hybrid and the other is a very old acer switch convertible with horrible weak CPU (Windows 10) as well as two Rpi4 running LibreElec. I could swear that I had and used that feature a lot (none of my displays are HDR capable atm, i don't really care about HDR, my problem ist that HDR material looks meh on SDR displays without tonemapping ;) ) on the Pis with 10.0.1. because they are my main devices in the living- and bedroom.

But now that you say that it is practically not possible because of hardware limitations I might have used my Notebook for that and don't remember it... Hmmm getting old, heh?

Edited 3 times, last by Ulathar (April 26, 2022 at 7:36 PM).