RPi4 testbuild with HDR support

• It doesn't. Tone mapping requires a quite powerful GPU (or fast processor) which the RPi4 doesn't have and also this isn't implemented in Kodi yet. Mapping 720p or maybe 1080p might be possible but 4k most certainly is way above the RPi4's capabilities.

So, stay away from HDR media if you only have SDR displays or recode it with tone mapping on a PC.

so long,

Hias

Ok, it's sad. So, if not the RPi4, then any other box running LibreElec or CoreElec could do tone-mapping better ? Lots of HDR stuffs are there and I dont want to buy any HDR display soon.

• Ok, it's sad. So, if not the RPi4, then any other box running LibreElec or CoreElec could do tone-mapping better ? Lots of HDR stuffs are there and I dont want to buy any HDR display soon.

IIRC tone mapping is only supported in Kodi for Windows (via d3d shaders) and Android (via the mediacodec framework, if implemented by a device). I've read reports that it works fine on the Nvidia Shield, not sure about other devices.

so long,

Hias

• IIRC tone mapping is only supported in Kodi for Windows (via d3d shaders) and Android (via the mediacodec framework, if implemented by a device). I've read reports that it works fine on the Nvidia Shield, not sure about other devices.

so long,

Hias

Do you have a sample file to test the hdr on the rpi4 with your latest build? If yes could you upload it by wetransfer?

I will put the file on usb stick and test it on LE 9.2.6 and on 10.0.

So long,

Harun

• Do you have a sample file to test the hdr on the rpi4 with your latest build? If yes could you upload it by wetransfer?

I will put the file on usb stick and test it on LE 9.2.6 and on 10.0.

Just head over to 4kmedia.org, you'll find plenty of samples there - eg Samsung Wonderland Two HDR UHD 4K Demo | 4K Media

There's not much point in testing with LE9.2 (as it doesn't support HDR output), check with the latest nightly and compare the same file with the internal player of your TV our your UHD BR player - if you do that, make sure the TV settings are identical, lots of TVs store separate settings for each HDMI port and also internal player.

so long,

Hias

• Just head over to 4kmedia.org, you'll find plenty of samples there - eg Samsung Wonderland Two HDR UHD 4K Demo | 4K Media

There's not much point in testing with LE9.2 (as it doesn't support HDR output), check with the latest nightly and compare the same file with the internal player of your TV our your UHD BR player - if you do that, make sure the TV settings are identical, lots of TVs store separate settings for each HDMI port and also internal player.

so long,

Hias

Many thanks! I put your build on it. Is that also fine instead of nightly?

So long

• Test with the latest nightly instead - from one of your posts it looked like you had installed an earlier testbuild without the final BT2020 fix.

Edit: I've now removed the testbuilds from my server to avoid confusion - all HDR changes are available in nightly builds.

so long,

Hias

• Test with the latest nightly instead - from one of your posts it looked like you had installed an earlier testbuild without the final BT2020 fix.

Edit: I've now removed the testbuilds from my server to avoid confusion - all HDR changes are available in nightly builds.

so long,

Hias

I got it. And the BT2020 is also in the last nightly build?

so long,

Harun

• The other hdr stuff I watch is mostly dolby vision on Netflix or hdr movies on YouTube.

Both of these look much brighter, especially dolby vision.

Tonight were going to watch a movie, then the living room is also much darker.

There should be no significant difference in brightness watching the same content on Netflix in HDR10 or DolbyVision - the DV version should optimise better for your display and may display some scenes subtly differently to the HDR10 version - but the overall brightness should be very similar. (The DV metadata carries information scene-by-scene (or shot-by-shot) to assist your TV in tone mapping stuff it can't display correctly, whereas HDR10 stuff just has basic metadata for the whole show or movie)

If you are saying one series you have watched in HDR10 doesn't look as bright as a different series you have watched in DolbyVision - well that's comparing apples with oranges (as the two series will have been graded separately with different grading decisions taken about SDR content vs HDR content in the HDR10 and DV grade)

HDR10 and DV are conventionally graded to keep the SDR elements in the 100nit range, only going over 100nits for highlight detail, speculars etc. that in SDR would be clipped to peak (or have to be heavily compressed down to retain detail). Some people grading content will push more conventional SDR stuff into the HDR range to make it 'look HDR' - Amazon's 'The Man In The High Castle' was a real offender in that regard ISTR. However most shows keep the HDR range just for 'HDR' stuff.

One difference between DV and HDR10 is that many TVs allow you to adjust far more picture settings when displaying HDR10 than they do with DV (with DV taking more 'control' over your display settings when displaying DV content)

IIRC tone mapping is only supported in Kodi for Windows (via d3d shaders) and Android (via the mediacodec framework, if implemented by a device). I've read reports that it works fine on the Nvidia Shield, not sure about other devices.

so long,

Hias

I think AMLogic devices in CoreElec have some degree of Tonemapping for HDR->SDR conversion too, as well as HLG->HDR10 conversion.

Edited once, last by noggin: Merged a post created by noggin into this post. (April 18, 2021 at 5:08 PM).

• When I want to download a video it says that too many people have download it and it is not possible to download.

That happens quite regularly - keep trying, I had most success in the morning (UTC), quota counters seem to be reset during the night (no idea when exactly).

so long,

Hias

• Ok, it's sad. So, if not the RPi4, then any other box running LibreElec or CoreElec could do tone-mapping better ? Lots of HDR stuffs are there and I dont want to buy any HDR display soon.

You will almost universally find that a 1080p Rec 709 SDR movie will look nicer played back on a 4K SDR display than a 4k HDR Rec 2020 movie tone mapped to 4K SDR.

HDR->SDR tone mapping is essentially a lossy process and the decisions taken when grading content for an HDR display both usually mean that the end result is often sub-ideal in most situations.

If your display is also Rec 709 only and can't cope with Rec 2020 wide colour gamut - you also have to contend with tone mapping to reduce the colour gamut of the Rec 2020 source.

Tone-mapping on replay on a consumer device is an automatic process, whereas the grading process that generates the Rec 709 SDR 1080p version of a movie, even if starting from a UHD Rec 2020 HDR master, will have a degree of optimisation and care taken over it (and information is available to the conversion process that isn't available to an end consumer). (DV could - in theory - provide more optimisation - but I don't know how many DV playback devices do anything special for SDR displays)

• Hias,

I put 2 files on usb stick from the site you given me.

I have test the files on 3 systems;

LE 9.2.6 rpi4. It was stuttering colors were not good.

LE 10.0 rpi4 nighty the last one from 19-04-21

It was not stuttering and the colors were much much better. The speed was also better.

On my qled.

This was the best result. Best speed buffering and colors.

So long,

Harun

• I am a long term user of Libreelec hosted on various RPI platforms. I am now trying consolidate a strategy of how to handle my legacy

SD .mpg recordings, DVD images, HD .ts recordings, DVD with Dolby/DTS Master audio together with newer 4k UHD formats.

I current use a RPI3 B and a RPI4 4G. I had hoped to use the RPI4 (LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-10.0-nightly-20210421-5aaf229.img.gz) to handle all content on a single Libreelec platform, however, after becoming very excited with the UHD and audiophile multiple channel capability of the latest nightly builds I find myself compromised with the performance of legacy SD and DVD menus etc on the latest RPI4 builds... Yes I know I want it all!!

Maybe the simplest approach would be for me to use the RPI3B for legacy and the RPI4 for the more recent content, after all this works, but to get the WAF for usability a single platform would be preferable.

Here as I see it are the issue;

RPI3B

Good for SD
    Hardware playback of mpg files
    Good interface for DVD menu's of DVD .iso's
    Not enough bandwidth for audiophile multiple channels
    No UHD support 4k etc

RPI4 4GB

Good for audiophile multiple channels
    Capable of good UHD 4k performance
    Poor playback of SD .mpg files (bad interlace performance)
    DVD menus on DVD .iso not working

I know with the latest rpi4 maybe I could setup 2 different profiles SD and UHD, but I am struggling to find a way to toggle between these on a single hot key.

Are other people having similar issues?