HD Playback not working on RPi 2

• I am running Kodi on a RPi 2 through a TV. I use a VBox Communications server to distribute satellite TV (Freeview) over my internal network and the recommended PVR (4.7.0.1) to integrate with Kodi.

When I record standard definition programmes the system works and I get audio playback but when I try to record HD programmes, there is no audio on playback.

I do not have a problem using the VBox app on my iPhone etc. nor on my AppleMacs using Kodi 18.7 or 18.8 so it appears to be isolated to the RPi build. In fact a programme recorded through the RPi 2 in HD plays back fine on any of the other machines.

I have upgraded to 9.2.4 (running Kodi 18.8 to see if the problem was fixed but it remains the same. I have also ensured I am fully updated on the PVR interface (4.7.0.1).

Can you offer any solution to this problem?

Geoff

• Please provide a full debug log.

How to post a log (wiki)

1. Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging
    2. Restart Kodi
    3. Replicate the problem
    4. Generate a log URL (do not post/upload logs to the forum)

use "Settings > LibreELEC > System > Paste system logs" or run "pastekodi" over SSH, then post the URL link
  • My apologies, I have only just seen your response from last Tuesday. I thought Would get an email notification.

I will post the log this evening and attach details here.

Many thanks.

• Hi CvH

I have done the log file. I recorded a few minutes of HD then played back as it was recording and there was no sound so the log file should show what has happened.

However, the log file is 3.5MB and pastebin has a limit of 512KB unless I upgrade to Pro. Which I cannot as there are no more Pro slots available. :cursing:

So how do I now get the file to you? Is there an alternative to pastebin that will accept a file of this size?

Can I email or PM it to you?

I could upload it to my website on its own page then send you a link?

Please let me know. ?(

Geoff

• Hello!

Delete the old Log, Restart the Rpi4 so a new Log is getting written, do your test. This new Log should be smaller and you can load it Up.

Regards

Nicolas

• Apologies all, I have been occupied. Thanks for the advice. I will try to regenerate a new log.

The Wiki says pastekodj but I will try kodipaste as well.

It is an RPi2.

Will get back in dues course.

• Hi Again,

So now I am confused!

Deleted all old log files.

Set up debug login with audio component logging.

Recorded short HD channel.

Replayed short HD recording. No sound.

Replayed short SD recording. Sound.

Turned off all logging.

Opened Kodi over samba. NO LOGFILES!!!!!

Thought it might be the audio logging so I disabled that and did the whole thing again with just debug logging. Still no log files in the logfile directory.

What have I done that is wrong?

Geoff

• I will reboot it later and try all over again to see if that works.

BTW: pastekodj still does not work. Error message is "Command not registered".

kodipaste returns "-sh kodipaste not found."

Is that a Bourne shell return? Should I reset to bash?

• Hi mglae,

Again apologies for the delayed response. Building a house on my own so pretty shattered most evenings.

Well that seems to have worked, thanks. How do I get pastekodi to run without the full command? Do I need to adjust a path?

The output is here:

http://ix.io/2vV5

Same procedure. Record HD, playback HD then playback SD. No sound on HD. I logged the audio component as well.

Do the logs help?

• Hi again.

I noticed that the paste terminates suddenly and it seems it has not copied the entire file. I have opened the 01_kodi.log file (466kb) and pasted it to pastebin to show the full log. It is here:

External Content pastebin.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Do you need any of the other logs pasting?

Geoff

• Hmmmm,

No idea what is going on. First link is now showing the full file plus something from April. The second link shows the file plus something from yesterday so they are not consistent.

Anyway, I hope you can interpret them both.

Geoff

• How do I get pastekodi to run without the full command?

This was just to check what was not working on your side. sh -x shows every command before it is executed. Usually the following three commands should behave the same:

Code
    pastekodi -h
    /usr/bin/pastekodi -h
    sh /usr/bin/pastekodi -h

No idea what is going on. First link is now showing the full file plus something from April.

This is normal behavior:

Code
    Apr 11 18:28:36 LibreELEC kernel: Booting Linux on physical CPU 0x0
    [...]
    Apr 11 18:28:43 RPI-KODI connmand[437]: ntp: adjust (jump): +44000355.222585 sec
    Sep 02 00:47:59 RPI-KODI connmand[437]: wlan0 {add} route 212.227.81.55 gw 10.0.0.1 scope 0 <UNIVERSE>
    [...]

Because the RPI is not having a RTC, the system time defaults to the compile time until it is synchronized via NTP.

Code
    Sep 02 01:13:58 RPI-KODI kernel: Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005)
    Sep 02 01:14:05 RPI-KODI kernel: Voltage normalised (0x00000000)

Your log is showing several under-voltage issues, you need to fix your power supply.

Now to the audio playback if you are still interested :)

The SD recording is having a MP2 audio stream while the HD recording contains AC3 that is played with passthroug. Most likely your TV does not support AC3.

Use the TV configuration from Audio quickstart guide - Official Kodi Wiki

• mglae

Thank you again. I thought I should receive an email when a response is posted but I am not so it is only when I remeber to come and look that I find the response.

I will check all the issues you listed, thank you so much for working through it for me, it is much appreciated.

The under-voltage could be because I am using the USB connection to power the RPi. What specifically will the undervoltage give problems to as it does appear to work OK (and is a lot more convenient). However it is an old TV so possible an early USB version.

I will read the material you linked and let you know how I get on.

G