Rasberry Pi 4 8Gb - Compatibility

• Hello all,

Has anyone tested LibreELEC successfully with the new Pi4 8Gb model? For me I just receive a black screen when I turn the device on. Rasbian 32 and 64bits distros both work fine.

Thanks

Dan

• Rpi does not recogneze cards above 32gb. To do this you need to use a tool which will make the exfat to fat32.

Current RPis will happily accept cards larger than 32gb. And when using an image writer fat vs exfat doesn't matter at all as it will write the (v)fat partition as contained in the image. Exfat was mainly issue when using NOOBS.

so long,

Hias

• Solution: It showed a black screen when I plugged into my computer monitor via HDMI even though Rasbian distro worked there. Plugged into TV and everything worked fine.

• Rpi does not recogneze cards above 32gb. To do this you need to use a tool which will make the exfat to fat32.

That's not the case - I regularly use 64GB and 128GB microSD cards in all of my Raspberry Pis, from the Zero to a 4B 8GB RAM model.

And using Etcher or the Raspberry Pi writing tool to flash a .img or similar file will completely zap the Micro SD card, repartioning it and formatting it with the required formats for each partition.

(You may be thinking instead that if you use uSD cards in a uSD card USB reader with a Pi that Raspbian (or Raspberry Pi OS) won't mount exFAT formatted cards without installing the Fuse exFAT stuff - but LibreElec reads ExFat stuff fine on a Pi.)11

Edited 2 times, last by noggin (June 13, 2020 at 11:56 AM).

• Current RPis will happily accept cards larger than 32gb. And when using an image writer fat vs exfat doesn't matter at all as it will write the (v)fat partition as contained in the image. Exfat was mainly issue when using NOOBS.

so long,

Hias

I thougt so but thanks to correct me...

so long

• Edit: just noticed a glitch in Kodi's Settings -> System Info screen, it only shows ~3.6GB total memory. Running "free" or "top" show correct numbers.

so long,

Hias

Do you know if the rest of the ram is usable? Can Librelec even make use of that much ram? I have Librelec running on the Pi4 8gig, but doubt that much ram even does any good..

• I'm new to libreelec and kodi. where do i find the config.txt file to add the commands to allow the pi 4 8gb to display on my yamaha receiver and samsung tv. It's blank but the pi 4 works here on my desktop via hdmi. Thanks

• Do you know if the rest of the ram is usable? Can Librelec even make use of that much ram? I have Librelec running on the Pi4 8gig, but doubt that much ram even does any good..

Linux can use the full RAM for filesystem cache/buffers and background programs / docker containers etc can make use of it. I wouldn't recommend though to run too much stuff on the RPi, it's CPU is still a lot slower than current gen Intel/AMD CPUs.

If you just want to run Kodi then 8GB is overkill. All programs are compiled as 32bit, so each process can use max 3GB (and Kodi won't even need that). 2 or 4GB will do just fine.

so long,

Hias