9.2.1 on RPi4: HEVC from TV recording has no playback controls

• Now I'm at a loss... I have recordings that are 1.4 GB and show no playback controls, but if I create a part as described above of a larger video even a 1.8 GB file shows playback controls. Anyone with an idea what in the original files can confuse the player?

Did you try to change Kodi Skin?Could be a skin issue not loading controls..

• The Only Thing I can think of is Metadata from tvheadend or fillbits in the original DVB Stream...

But would it be a hardware decoder thing of the RaspPi, or is it something in Kodi? On my Amlogic device running CoreELEC the exact same files work flawlessly...

• But would it be a hardware decoder thing of the RaspPi, or is it something in Kodi? On my Amlogic device running CoreELEC the exact same files work flawlessly...

On my Rpi 2 it's working fine with skin aeon nox silvo but I only see 2 controls with estuary skin..that s the one you r using..from your screenshot..Libreelec on Rpi...h265 videos where unplayable 2 years ago but now they done a huge inroad and plays flawlessly..

• Controls are there, but they don't work... only stop-control has any effect. So I guess the aeon nox silvio is just not as adaptive as estuary...

Play,pause,rewind,ff they all work on mine...try to post the unwatchable sample and i ll try again..

• On my Rpi 2 it's working fine with skin aeon nox silvo but I only see 2 controls with estuary skin..that s the one you r using..from your screenshot..Libreelec on Rpi...h265 videos where unplayable 2 years ago but now they done a huge inroad and plays flawlessly..

You say that Rpi2 can do H.265 in software decoding? *wow*...

Play,pause,rewind,ff they all work on mine...try to post the unwatchable sample and i ll try again..

I a few minutes ago edited my earlier post containing the links, file is back there. Or here :)

• You say that Rpi2 can do H.265 in software decoding? *wow*...

I a few minutes ago edited my earlier post containing the links, file is back there. Or here :)

yes it does...been doing 720p for a long time...lately also doing 1080p nicely..

And your recording is also working fine...rewind/ff/pause/etc...probably something to do with Rpi4..

see here

• Hauke

Could it be that the Stream has continue Errors?

Oh, I'm sure it has: The very same video caused problems on one of the earlier versions of LibreELEC bacause of a severe continuity error somewhere in the middle. But if I truncate the video as described earlier, that exact continuity error is in the truncated part, but playback controls are there. I suppose the suggestion that fill bits or something like that cause the issue is more likely. What I'll try is to truncate the file from the back, i.e. cutting away bytes until it works, and then see what actually is in these bytes. Will keep you posted.

• Oh, I'm sure it has: The very same video caused problems on one of the earlier versions of LibreELEC bacause of a severe continuity error somewhere in the middle. But if I truncate the video as described earlier, that exact continuity error is in the truncated part, but playback controls are there. I suppose the suggestion that fill bits or something like that cause the issue is more likely. What I'll try is to truncate the file from the back, i.e. cutting away bytes until it works, and then see what actually is in these bytes. Will keep you posted.

Is this issue with 1 recording or with all?

Is the troubling recording the one you uploaded?

You have many ffmpeg errors on your logs..

• Is this issue with 1 recording or with all? [...]

You have many ffmpeg errors on your logs..

It's all recordings.

Which log would I look at? Would teh kodi.log debug log be right? Is ffmpeg involved if I do hardware decoding on RPi 4?

• OK, trying to make sense of the kodi.log. As far as I can tell that's the portion of the log between start and stop of the movie, and loading it into the media library (first/last line - cannot paste the whole log portion. Full log is here) :

Code
    2020-08-27 12:37:14.693 T:3002069872   DEBUG: CLibInputTouch::ProcessTouchUp - touch input up
    [...]
    2020-08-27 12:37:40.819 T:3011884368   DEBUG: ------ Window Init (Home.xml) ------

In there the following lines strike me as odd:

Code
    2020-08-27 12:37:24.760 T:2639012720    INFO: ffmpeg[9D4C2370]:   Duration: N/A, start: 67418.302400, bitrate: N/A

It seems the decode cannot evaluate how long the playing time is --> Would explain why I cannot move in the file. Some lines above I find

Code
    2020-08-27 12:37:24.422 T:2639012720   DEBUG: Open - avformat_find_stream_info starting

and then a lot of errors. It seems to have trouble finding something named PPS and NAL.

Later, when playing, it uses MMAL, so not ffmpeg, But ffmpeg tries - all the time:

Code
    ffmpeg[ABD12370]: [hevc] av_rpi_zc_ref: *** Not one of our buffers: NULL

It seems that ffmpeg does not have permissions to access MMAL stream/buffers? But if this would be the problem: Why would it work for other streams?

I don't know, I have difficulties understanding the log - hopefully someone with more insights can make sense of it...

Edited once, last by Hauke (August 30, 2020 at 5:02 PM).