projectM 2.3.5.1 visualization addon

• This bug applies to the projectM visualization addon version 2.3.5.1 (and earlier) in LibreELEC versions 9.2, 9.2.1 and (HiassofT) devel 20200320214349-16919f7.

The projectM visualization PRESET PACKS cannot be changed from "projectM" even though preset packs "bltc201, Milkdrop 1.04, Milkdrop 2.00, Mischa's Collection, Stock, Tryptonaut, Yin and Tests" are available from the configuration screen's drop down list. It is possible to select one of these alternatives, but the selection chosen has no effect and the "projectM" preset pack continues to display when listening to music even though an alternative has been selected. Gets a bit boring after a while... :(

Edited once, last by Charles.Timms: This bug has been carried forward in release LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-9.2.2 - The problem with changing projectM preset packs still exists... (March 26, 2020 at 8:20 PM).

• Hey guys,

i had the same problem with projectM for a long time! There must be an internal bug in the LibreELEC Original-toolchain!

I build my own toolchain under ubuntu 18.04.to build LibreELEC 9.2.2 by myself, but the problem continues. Then I tried to build the last projectM 2.3.5.2 by myself, changed to the new presets-folder structure, and it works, no freezing.:shy: all works fine.

I hope you can do it the same way!

• exactly

I have to admit that it should be possible these days to use it at RPi etc, but nobody had looked into that (very low prio) to make it work.

That's interesting, I always assumed projectM could never work on a RPI4, as it doesn't have the correct type of GPU to run projectM, since it is a very intensive GPU application

So in theory, ProjectM could run on a RPI4?

ProjectM is the one addon I miss most, since switching from a dedicated pc frontend (nvidia GPU) running Kodi to my RPI4

• That's interesting, I always assumed projectM could never work on a RPI4, as it doesn't have the correct type of GPU to run projectM, since it is a very intensive GPU application

So in theory, ProjectM could run on a RPI4?

ProjectM is the one addon I miss most, since switching from a dedicated pc frontend (nvidia GPU) running Kodi to my RPI4

projectM is actually depending both on CPU and GPU, but differently for each preset.

It also practically runs on a Pi, with a decent speed. Main difference is that it needs to use OpenGL ES instead of GLX, which comes with a few limitations and generally lower performance. On my Pi4 it runs with full 60 FPS on most presets in 720p, and with decent 30 FPS in 1080p, so it's totally viable IMO.

Main problem for the add-on availability was the build system and some bugs, which didn't really support OpenGL ES as of the latest (3.12) release.

I've rewritten the build system, fixed many bugs and added a better API, so for the next projectM release (4.0) it should be possible to compile and run it on Pi-based LibreElec installations as well. Older Pi models might require a lower resolution, but should generally work as well.

I'll work closely with the Kodi add-on dev to make it possible. No ETA yet though as there are many other bugs - mainly rendering/Milkdrop compat issues - that need fixing. Hopefully in Q1 2022.