[8.0.2e] LibreELEC 8.0 for S905/S905X

• Rootz It won't work for Amlogic, this basic video player is for RPi only.

There is an app called c2play written by CrashOverride at Odroid forum and if someone makes a package.mk for it, I can try adding an animated splash. I tried compiling it some time ago for LE but I failed.

• Pelican - Just give up now. It has been determined that any issues you are having are purely in your head and unless you can provide evidence to the contrary, that is reproducible on every variant of s905/s905x board in production, then you can just frig off back to Android.

I get the sarcasm and I did not intend to be rude to you or Pelican.

However, kszaq has been busting his ass to provide stable, high quality builds and we finally have a very good Krypton build.

Just try to be excited about that.
    Until recently we had frame skips even on regular HD content. 10-Bit banding. 2160p black screens.
    All gone now.

We also finally know the main root cause for different views regarding picture quality -> the TV's RGB range.

I would like to have proper HDR / BT.2020 / 10-Bit playback as much as everyone else, believe me.
    But afaik there is no LibreELEC with that capability out there yet, AMLogic or other. Intel maybe on the way?

Why force it and moan over which Kernel or Kodi version is better at something that is still not right in both cases?
    It just does not make sense.

Since there is practically no proper UHD/HDR content anyhow, we can afford to be patient in that regard.
    That is just my opinion of course...

Edited once, last by jd17 (May 31, 2017 at 9:32 PM).

• sorry for the stupid question, i'm quite new...

i'm using libreELEC 8 on USB with my box am logic s905x, what happens if i try to use that USB in another S905x? what i lose and what i keep? i suppose i'll have to install all repos and addons again but what about autostart.sh? This last thing is important cause i modified to force RGB

• I have checked 8.0.1mm, 8.0.1l, 8.0.2a and 8.0 (full nougat) builds on a Mini M8S II. There are only two differences between Marshmallow and Nougat builds.

1) Marshmallow builds have incorrect luminance upon boot, but it is corrected as soon as you play a video (resolution doesn’t matter). I see that jd17 has mentioned this a couple of times.

2) Nougat builds do not have noise in 10-8-bit dithering whereas, there is noise in Marshmallow builds.

3) BT.2020 color space is set automatically in the full Nougat build. On the other builds, it is set only when refresh rate switching is disabled or the frame rate matches the set desktop refresh rate.

When Cb=Cr, luminance (Y) is simply truncated from 10-8-bit. When Cb and Cr are different, there is some sort of conversion happening along with 10-8-bit dithering. The conversion end up decreasing the color saturation and luminosity. Amlogic Nougat SDK does have a HDR to SDR and SDR to HDR conversion feature. I have tested this on a M8S Pro. The conversion in LE doesn’t quite match with the Android one.These conversions are specified in ETSI TS 103 433 and ITU-R BT.2087 standards. I don’t think Amlogic conversions seen in Android or LE or following those specifications.

- There are black level changes between the kernels depending on display capabilities.

I haven’t measured any black level difference in the output between the kernels other than the boot issue associated with Marshmallow.

Mix in that many current displays have broken "auto" black level (like Samsung's entire lineup), this is why some of us have seen the black changes, and others haven't.

If this is with YCbCr input, I won’t call it as broken. While CTA 861/HDMI specs do have a selectable YCbCr quantization option, this is
    not implemented in the majority of the displays. YCbCr quantization is indicated by YQ0, YQ1 bits in data byte 5 of the AVI Infoframe. If the display doesn’t indicate selectable YCbCr quantization the source will set this to “0” and will default to 16-235 setting. Sony TVs are an exception. They do have selectable quantization, but only few devices can output full range YCbCr (Pi2 for sure, I am not sure of other LE devices).

So, users who complained about washed out colors with MM builds - please check your TV's RGB range setting and manually set it to limited (HDMI black level / black level = low in some devices).

As mentioned above, dynamic range (black level) setting will have no effect on YCbCr input on almost all displays. If you force RGB mode

output, then you do have to set the black level to limited or low on the display. Amlogic RGB output is limited with BTB (1-15) and WTW
    (236-254) passthrough.

• Thank you for helping us out here wesk05. :)

On the other builds, it is set only when refresh rate switching is disabled or the frame rate matches the set desktop refresh rate.

That explains my initial impression of a proper HDR / BT.2020 playback, because I originally tested two demo videos with a 59.94fps refresh rate which did not trigger any switch.
    The color difference only became obvious to me when I tested a 23.976fps video.

When Cb=Cr, luminance (Y) is simply truncated from 10-8-bit. When Cb and Cr are different, there is some sort of conversion happening along with 10-8-bit dithering. The conversion end up decreasing the color saturation and luminosity.

In Marshmallow Kernel builds, I have not witnessed any decrease in color saturation or luminosity when I playback 1080p / BT.709 / 10 Bit sources (upsampled to 10 Bit from an 8 Bit original).

I did quite a bit of comparing on that because I encode my Blu-rays in x265 10-Bit.

Nougat builds do not have noise in 10-8-bit dithering whereas, there is noise in Marshmallow builds.

You are referring to obvious banding in Nougat Frankenstein builds vs. smooth gradations in Marshmallow builds, correct?
    We discussed this here:
    [BUG] S905X Krypton: Horrible banding in 10 Bit videos

What you call noise looks like proper dithering to me and works quite well to make 10 Bit look close to like it is supposed to.

It actually looks just like the 10 Bit to 8 Bit conversion I see in the Windows Kodi builds.

• ty wesk05, I suppose the black level changes on some displays are a mystery then? On my Sony when properly configured there is no change between the two either, but on the Sony I was able to somewhat replicate the change I see between the two on my Samsung. Neither is forcing RGB. After this forum, to make sure I wasn't going crazy I even did a quick check with my colorhug to make sure my eyes weren't tricking me (I know it's not great, but just wanted to make sure).

2) Nougat builds do not have noise in 10-8-bit dithering whereas, there is noise in Marshmallow builds.

I suspect this is the result of a typo from an amlogic commit updating dithering for GXM and newer boards, which disabled the old 10-8 dithering for <=GXL in the process. I have a fix for it aml/hdmitx: fix 10->8 dithering for <=GXL & cleanup · amillogical/linux-amlogic@3304772 · GitHub and aml/hdmitx: enable 10-8 dithering by default · amillogical/linux-amlogic@95f9dae · GitHub

re: hdr/sdr conversions, Amlogic "optimizes" their conversions with very different results. I suspect if you revert their "optimizations," you'd get close to standards. Amlogic also has a static saturation boost on sdr -> hdr conversion that was added separately from their conversion "optimizations." When I played with sdr ->hdr, I had to remove the saturation boost to get decent output.

Edited once, last by johngalt (June 1, 2017 at 5:34 PM).

• As mentioned above, dynamic range (black level) setting will have no effect on YCbCr input on almost all displays.

It definitely makes a difference on my LG TV (OLED65B6V).
    I do get the washed out colors when I set black level to high, both on Marshmallow and Nougat Frankenstein.
    That also goes for the RPi2. I always had that set to YCbCr limited, but I could still mess up the range when I set the TV to high...

• I have the TICTID M9C Max box with 2G/16G. I know its a s905x chip, but when trying to install libreelec via toothpick method - it does not work as there is no hole to reset it.

Does anyone have dummies instructions for me to install this..really want to get this working and apologies for such newbie questions...

I also have the TICTIC M9C. The hole is tiny and on the bottom of the box.

• I have a TICTID M9C Max. I installed Libreelec 8.02a on the internal memory. I had to type the install internal command twice but then it stuck and booted from internal memory. I configured it, watched TV, and I was happy. Then when I turned it off, and turned it on, I get booted back to the plain old Libreelec/Kodi screen with my settings and configurations all gone. Has anyone experienced the issue before?

EDIT: I'm a dumbsicle. I left the USB stick in the device, which promptly booted from it. I removed the stick and rebooted, and everything is peachy. Yay! Thanks.

Edited once, last by darkmeridian (June 1, 2017 at 1:55 PM).

• @ kszaq

It would be nice to have a way/setting to retrieve internet connection, let's say after 30-60 sec, for not supported wifi chips.

My box with QA9377 needs a restart at every cold boot to go online.

Definetely a big thank for your wonderfull work.

• In Marshmallow Kernel builds, I have not witnessed any decrease in color saturation or luminosity when I playback 1080p / BT.709 / 10 Bit sources (upsampled to 10 Bit from an 8 Bit original).

I did quite a bit of comparing on that because I encode my Blu-rays in x265 10-Bit.

You are referring to obvious banding in Nougat Frankenstein builds vs. smooth gradations in Marshmallow builds, correct?
    We discussed this here:
    [BUG] S905X Krypton: Horrible banding in 10 Bit videos

What you call noise looks like proper dithering to me and works quite well to make 10 Bit look close to like it is supposed to.

My comment was primarily for 10-bit Rec.2020 content. I have only checked 8-bit Rec.709 and 10-bit Rec.2020. It is possible that Amlogic conversions kick in only for HDR/Rec.2020 content.

Yes, what I call noise is proper dithering. The adjacent pixels even in a test pattern box that doesn't have any gradient are slightly different. This certainly can explain the smoother gradation in Marshmallow builds.

I suppose the black level changes on some displays are a mystery then?

I suspect this is the result of a typo from an amlogic commit updating dithering for GXM and newer boards, which disabled the old 10-8 dithering for <=GXL in the process. I have a fix for it aml/hdmitx: fix 10->8 dithering for <=GXL & cleanup · amillogical/linux-amlogic@3304772 · GitHub

re: hdr/sdr conversions, Amlogic "optimizes" their conversions with very different results. I suspect if you revert their "optimizations," you'd get close to standards. Amlogic also has a static saturation boost on sdr -> hdr conversion that was added separately from their conversion "optimizations." When I played with sdr ->hdr, I had to remove the saturation boost to get decent output.

It definitely makes a difference on my LG TV (OLED65B6V).
    I do get the washed out colors when I set black level to high, both on Marshmallow and Nougat Frankenstein.
    That also goes for the RPi2. I always had that set to YCbCr limited, but I could still mess up the range when I set the TV to high...

You know what, now that you have brought up this black level difference on your LG TV and some other displays, I will have to check whether the output is set differently when the display EDID supports selectable YCbCr quantization.

Regarding HDR-SDR and inverse conversions, it is possible that Amlogic has messed it up with their optimizations. ETSI specifications are heavy on computation and I am not sure whether Amlogic has even adopted it. The Ultra HD Forum has adopted that specification. ITU BT.2020 to BT.709 conversion recommendation is only at the draft level.

• Hello, who does the updates for the LibreELEC add-ons for PVR (i.e. DVBLink). Kszaq or LibreELEC themselves? Reason I ask is there is a bug fix for my s905x with PVR and DVBlink, which is included with Kryton 17.3 (they updated the plug in), but the s905x 17.3 version for Libreelec still has the older version, and I don't know who to ask to update it for the s905x build (I am running the latest 8.0.2a). Any help to whom I could ask for a build to be built for this box would be helpful.

• fabri22 you can use autostart.sh to wait for a certain time and then reset your wifi connection.

Found this ... but doesn't work. No echos at boot screen. Too noob for scripts...

• Found this ... but doesn't work. No echos at boot screen. Too noob for scripts...

You would need to make sure that the IP 192.168.1.80 is assigned to something on your network.

if you want to check if internet is up you should change this IP to 8.8.8.8 or something that you know is always up. if you are just worried about local network, then change it to your routers IP usually 192.168.1.254