Xorg Server failed to start

• Hello!

I have just installed LibreELEC on my HP Pavilion a4313w and when I first boot it up it says:

[FAILED] Failed to start Xorg Server 

'systemctl status xorg.service' for details. 

[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Fluxbox Window Manager 

[ OK ] Reached target Graphical Interface 

[ OK ] Starting Intel switch to full range 

[ OK ] Started Intel switch to full range

[ OK ] Started Kodi Media Center. 

[ OK ] Reached target Kodi Mediacenter Interface

After it starts up everything freezes up and it doesn't start, I tried this multiple times. Maybe because it says Intel and its an AMD? I don't know if I did anything wrong but I did a clean installation, thank you! :)

My PC:

HP Pavilion a4313w Desktop PC

NVIDIA Geforce 6150SE

AMD Sempron LE-1250

3GB DDR2 RAM

• Go to Best Answer
  • NVIDIA Geforce 6150SE

That is graphics hardware from the previous century... Either you can turn the HP Pavilion into a nice book stand, or try an equally old version of OpenELEC and see if it comes back to life.

The real recommendation is that you need to look at some newer hardware to properly deal with your video's and/or music. Either something like a Raspberry Pi or some Android box that will play Kodi.

• We dropped the nvidia 304.xx driver required for prehistoric cards around LE 8.0.x but there is a community image kicking around in the forums for 8.2.5. It's no longer possible to build images with that old driver due to ABI changes in Xorg so 8.2.x would the final of final images. An RPi4 would be a massive upgrade :)

• I think that card should work fine with "nouveau" kernel driver and modesetting Xorg driver. You'll need to build from source and enable the nouveau kernel driver though. It's doable depending on how much effort you are willing to put into it. You can enable the mesa driver as well if you need 3D support.

• I'm reanimating the topic.

Libreelec 9.2.6 periodically loads on the Radeon HD4550, but mostly the Xorg Server failed to start.

I found out that when it does not load, the system for some reason tries to load the nvidia drivers. Xorg. log in the attach.

lspci says it is loading radeon drivers. lspci-v. log in the attach.

Please tell me what to do?

Thanks!

Update

I put the xorg.conf in /storage/.config

The system are load in safemode and so on in a circle.

xorg.conf with amdgpu - no result

• Please tell me what to do?

For starters, don't anticipate that LibreELEC will support ancient hardware forever. HD4550 was introduced in September 2008... Thirteen years old is quite the age for a computer component.

AMD driver support has been a grab bag for many years because AMD didn't bother about Linux support. Some times it works, or, it doesn't.

This has changed since the Ryzen APUs/GPUs got proper Linux kernel support.

• The most interesting thing is that it works. Not always, but it works. Please tell me, how can I remove unnecessary drivers from the system? I want to force download the radeon drivers.

• Code
    echo "nvidia" > /storage/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    cp /etc/X11/xorg-radeon.conf /storage/.config/xorg.conf
    cp /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/97-xorg.rules /storage/.config/udev.rules.d/97-xorg.rules

^ You can edit the 97-xorg.rules files so there is only a line for the "radeon" driver. I'm not sure this will achieve anything though as if I read the scripts correctly it''s simply not finding the radeon card hardware, which maybe points towards slow loading drivers and some kind of timing issue.