RPi 3B+ not buffering

• Modifying the cache settings according to HOW-TO:Modify the video cache - Official Kodi Wiki did not seem to help.

Videos stop playing all the time (sometimes it says it's buffering and sometimes it just stops).

Also, sometimes RPi won't start after a reboot, so I will have to reboot it again, or it will start but will not connect to the wireless network. I even tried replacing the WLAN USB.

Could this be something related to power supply? Is there a way to check this?

• Generally mucking about with the video cache will have little effect unless you know what you are doing. Any changes usually have a knock on event elsewhere.

In you case, you have memorysize of 0. So unless you have LE booting from a USB HDD/SSD with at least 16GB of free space, you will run into issues with Kodi stalling or even crashing. If booting from SD then you are putting a lot of wear and tear on your card, which could also be causing problems.

I would remove your changes in advancedsettings.xml and look at your SMB server and Wifi connection.

I had similar issues which was resolved by buying a decent Wifi adapter (With a large aerial) and using 5GHz

You could also try "native" SMB connections Wiki rather than the Kodi internal SMB connection.

• @ghfy4: What example did you use?

I use example 4 when I experienced the same video problems as you. It works fine now.

About the boot problems I can't help you. Wifi the same, since I use the ethernet port.

• TonP: I initially used example #4 too. Afterwards I changed the memorysize to 0, just to see if it helps. Obviously I also tried the defaults (not setting cache at all)).

• @Iridium: Thanks for the reply. I will try the "native" SMB method. Obviously I did try the default caching settings (by not setting them at all) before started messing with them.

Is there a way to check if it really is a WiFi issue, other than connection the device to Ethernet, which is not possible in my scenario?

Like some sort of a command or a script I can run to test the WiFi signal strength and stability..?

• I tend to use "native" NFS not SMB for preference but if that is not possible - try the SMB native, Also 5GHz if not already (Depends on location, distances etc.)

To test the Wifi strength use:

watch -n 5 iwconfig or use one of the many apps on your phone.

If you want more detailed information, boot Raspbian and install wavemon.

Also you didn't explain what your NAS is - maybe that is the issue.

Can you also explain what USB Wifi you are using. If using a "small" dongle, then you're not going to get much better reception than the internal one. Get one with a big antenna.

Try to move the adapter (with a extension cable) so that it is not blocked by anything - eg. TV, bookcase.

As TonP mentioned No. 4 is the one to go for if you have to, but Kodi, with all their years of experience probably know more than us mere mortals.

• Just to be complete, I have always been using NFS for the streaming from my NAS.

Also, I didn't have any video problems when using dumb switches (non-managed switches). Only when I replaced the simple switches for managed ones did the problems appear. I have never been able to figure out what the cause was, but the buffer setting as in example 4 did the trick.

• @Iridium: My NAS is simply my Windows 10 PC and the files are on an NTFS drive.

I did not have this issues in the past, they have started recently after I moved to a new home.

The WLAN router is relatively close to the RPi, and I am using a simple USB dongle (no antenna) purchased with my RPi.

I will test your suggestions to eliminate the most probable causes. The one thing that still bugs me is the power supply issue. I remember reading that RPi is extremely sensitive to power supply. Anyway to check if this is part of the problem?

• If your network functions correctly there is never any need to fiddle with cache settings, and the solution to a network that doesn't function correctly is to fix the network, not fiddle with cache settings. RPi 3B+ has weak wifi performance so it's best to use Ethernet or an external wifi bridge that presents Ethernet. I use some Apple A1rport Express WiFi routers in bridge mode for this .. they are fairly cheap (second hand on eBay), easy to set-up, they out-perform all USB wireless dongles for range/throughput, and no drivers are needed.