Posts by ghfy4

@Iridium: My NAS is simply my Windows 10 PC and the files are on an NTFS drive.

I did not have this issues in the past, they have started recently after I moved to a new home.

The WLAN router is relatively close to the RPi, and I am using a simple USB dongle (no antenna) purchased with my RPi.

I will test your suggestions to eliminate the most probable causes. The one thing that still bugs me is the power supply issue. I remember reading that RPi is extremely sensitive to power supply. Anyway to check if this is part of the problem?

@Iridium: Thanks for the reply. I will try the "native" SMB method. Obviously I did try the default caching settings (by not setting them at all) before started messing with them.

Is there a way to check if it really is a WiFi issue, other than connection the device to Ethernet, which is not possible in my scenario?

Like some sort of a command or a script I can run to test the WiFi signal strength and stability..?

Modifying the cache settings according to HOW-TO:Modify the video cache - Official Kodi Wiki did not seem to help.

Videos stop playing all the time (sometimes it says it's buffering and sometimes it just stops).

Also, sometimes RPi won't start after a reboot, so I will have to reboot it again, or it will start but will not connect to the wireless network. I even tried replacing the WLAN USB.

Could this be something related to power supply? Is there a way to check this?

Hi,

My RPi 3b+ began to seriously malfunction.

I'm running the latest LibreELEC alpha version, but the problems began before that.

The RPi connects to my home wireless network using a simple USB Wi-Fi dongle, and streams videos form my Windows 10 PC using SMB.

The problems are as follows:

1. Frequently the RPi will stay offline (will connect to my WLAN) upon starting it up. I have to turn it off and on again for it to connect. Sometimes I have to repeat this procedure two or three times. I have no issue with my home WLAN with any other devices.

2. Many videos will get Kodi stuck or complain about "too slow source".

3. The remote application I use (yatse) seems to be less responsive - it sometime takes a while for commands to execute etc.

4. I thought it was a Wi-Fi issue, so I tried removing the external dongle and use the RPi internal one. That did not seem to solve the issues. Also tried playing videos from a USB thumb drive instead of the SMB share. This was also not consistent. The same video would sometimes play correctly and sometimes stutter and buffer for a long time.

kodi.log

Thanks!

I am running the latest LibreELEC on RPi2. My video files are stored on a Windows PC and shared using Samba over WiFi.

This all worked fine until a few days ago. Now, playback of almost any videos freezes at some point and then exits.

This is the common scenario:

- some video is being played fine

- at some point, playback will stop (freeze)

- sometime the subtitles, if are used, will continue playing while the video is still stuck

- after about a minute (!) playback Kodi will go back to the videos list

- I can then resume the playback (by clicking on the same file and choosing resume)

- playback will continue for sometime... until it freezes again

This happens with different video files, at different points. I don't think the files are damaged.

Attached is a log taken after multiple such incidents.

15tP

Thank you