Tired of losing library connection!!!

• Another Saturday night wanting to watch a movie and no SMB connection to my UnRaid tower. I later found out I can access the movies in file manager but not through the main interface. Won't update library, won't play an existing movie.

I'm downgrading my LibrElec as I type and refreshing my library. Thank goodness for a really good library file tagging / naming system!

I don't know, but this entering ip address to my NAS just seems trash, at best. I'm not upgrading this player until I absolutely HAVE TO.

Why does it have to get so complicated

• Another Saturday night wanting to watch a movie and no SMB connection to my UnRaid tower. I later found out I can access the movies in file manager but not through the main interface. Won't update library, won't play an existing movie.

I'm downgrading my LibrElec as I type and refreshing my library. Thank goodness for a really good library file tagging / naming system!

I don't know, but this entering ip address to my NAS just seems trash, at best. I'm not upgrading this player until I absolutely HAVE TO.

Personally, I'd say UnRaid or any RAID is way overkill for an infrequently used media server, let alone the energy use and wear and tear on the drives.

I use Openmediavault. I also organise the content manually and have seperate drive shares. Pain in the butt, but i'm in far more control when a drive fails or the OS updates crap something out, or hardware fails. In addition when a drive fails I don't lose access to my data, and the whole data isn't at risk if(when) the rebuild fails.

Backup offline line with 1:1 or 1:2 or use the unraid as the backup solution.

For me Windows SMB network sharing, used on a Linux OS has always been flaky at best and through the Kodi network browser, the names have never stayed there permanently.

Simple solution, which I've used for years.

Add the network shares to Kodi by adding them as network locations then as a video source. - Use the IP address of your server and SMB port 445

as the server name. e.g. SERVER NAME 192.168.0.1:445

Kodi only scans recursively down the folder tree by 1 folder, so add as many network locations and video sources as necessary. Otherwise Kodi won't see your content.

• I don't know, but this entering ip address to my NAS just seems trash, at best. I'm not upgrading this player until I absolutely HAVE TO.

If you have a decent file server, why not use NFS instead? I've been using XMBC/Kodi + NFS for over 9 years now without a glitch. Currently SMB is a bit of a can of worms since Microsoft changed the file sharing details in Windows.

Should you have connect errors again with NFS, then start checking your cables, UTP plugs and router ports.

I don't know, but this entering ip address to my NAS just seems trash, at best

When you are using host names, make sure your hosts files are up-to-date.

Fixate the server IP address in your router.

• Kodi only scans recursively down the folder tree by 1 folder, so add as many network locations and video sources as necessary. Otherwise Kodi won't see your content.

This is not true.

I don't know what (if any) the limit is, but I just tested with a 7 folder deep source and it scanned just fine.

Maybe you're thinking of tv shows - for those you set a source and kodi looks for show folders in the next level.