Is HD Audio passthrough for RPi4 coming?

• Yesterday was out the new Libreelec version. It is really sad to see that HD audio (7.1 passthrough) for raspberry pi 4 is not yet introduced.

Please!! This is an indispensable feature for movie lovers. Could be it available before Christmas? :(

• Yesterday was out the new Libreelec version. It is really sad to see that HD audio (7.1 passthrough) for raspberry pi 4 is not yet introduced.

Please!! This is an indispensable feature for movie lovers. Could be it available before Christmas? :(

It doesn't seem this has any real priority sadly. Better off with a nVidia Shield for the moment.

• ...it's incredible for a platform focused on media player...

What is incredible is the attitude of some people. As if there are weird agendas or priorities on what to implement or not. If it were possible, all goodies would be available yesterday. Sadly, that is not possible.

BTW, it's not just the LibreELEC team. We are also depending on whatever the Raspberry developers are throwing at us.

• ...it's incredible for a platform focused on media player...

If by "platform" you refer to Raspberry Pi - that is not focused on being a media player. It is developed by the Raspberry Pi Foundation as an educational tool. It just happens to be able to be used as a media player.

Maybe some perspective is needed...

How much did you pay for an AV receiver to decode and play the audio through your speakers...?

How much did you pay for your speakers...?

How much did you pay for the Raspberry Pi that you expect to do so much...?

How much did you pay for the software that you seem to expect to be able to play everything on a very low-cost hardware platform...?

Too many people (you are not alone, see elsewhere on this thread or on the forum) seem to expect that everything should work just because the developers choose to give their time and effort for free and choose to share the results of their labour with the rest of the world.

If things don't work, one of the benefits of open source projects is that anyone can contibute. And with LibreELEC, if you can't contribute to development, there are still other ways to help. But as Klojum has said, sometimes the project is also dependent on other things working first, and the developers may have no control over that. This can especially be true when the platform uses silicon where the suppliers do not provide open documentation to all that may need it.

• Sorry, I didn't want hurt nobody. Libreelec/Kodi is a great platform and unfortunately I can't help a lot because I am not a developer.

My only concern is about the audio functionalities provided by this software. I think that the main focus of kodi/librelec is to provide the best media video/audio experience, and the raspberry is the single board most used on the market, so my objection was, why after 6 months that the hardware support this type of audio the software can't enable it? What is the problem? Which component is missing? Who is it in charge of this? How, normal user like us/me, can help to speed/support this process?

thank you

• Hi @all,

I've been using RPI2 and 3 with kodi once, and it worked like a charme.

But I am a Hifi enthusiast and this is why I am using an Odroid C2 for a long time, now.

I would really like to get back to RPI. But HD Audio Passthrough is a "must have" for me.

I know that there are many people devoloping the software in their free time - Many thanks guys. You are doing a really great job.

I understand that my priorities might not the ones of the developers. That is absolutely ok.

I just would like to know, if this topic is on the roadmap?

I am not a developer (not yet) but I could help with testing and reporting. I would buy an RPI4 if this topic is on the roadmap.

cheers

• I definitely see your point S80_UK. Surfparadise and MeisterP has some good points, too.

Anyone know who might be able to answer their questions?

MeisterP The Odroid C2 sounds very interesting. Could you explain which software you are running on it? OS/Distro etc. Any issues to be considerate of?

• Hi SP,

I'm not sure if they like to see advertising for other OSes in this board. During the last years I tried different OSes like libreelec, openelec and coreelec on Pi2, PI3 and C2. They all have their pros ans cons. In my case (HD-Audio Setup with Atmos and DTS:X) the C2 in combination with CE works best, but I am missing the Full 3D MVC support. And I was not able to move my Hyperion Setup from RPI to C2. Because of this I am using both, C2 and RPI.