RPI4 - HDMI-CEC not working

• Hey,

it worked for me the first time I booted the pi 4, but after turning the samsung off and back on a little later, not working anymore.

I think samsung cec and/or the cec library are just not that sturdy. I had tried messing with some libcec stuff a while ago and gave up.

It might just some intermittent thing that eventually works if you unplug the cable or reboot enough times, sorry people that bought new cables.

Try different combinations of power cycling (really unplugging) your tv and the pi.

has anyone tried `hdmi_force_hotplug=1` in config.txt?

edit:

I've been having better luck now with `hdmi_force_hotplug=1`

But I need to test having the TV off for a few hours then turning it on again

• I have three TV's - old Sony, 4k Samsung (kind of old too) and non-smart small Samsung TV.

I have two RPi3 with libreelect and TV remote controls work like a charm. I Wanted an upgrade and now I have three RPI4 with fresh libreelec and TV remote is not working at all. I have tried everything that is suggested on the forums, bug reports manuals and mail list to no avail. Invludin "turn of the TV for hour" - which obviously sound stupid but having multiple devices and TV you can afford to keep a pair out of power :)

I have read that the same issue is present also on some ubuntu installs and also somewhere that CEC is broken in linuks kernel and is known issue but I have never found the report for this.

Anyway before i start buying different cables is there anyone who ever managed to get HDMI-CEC working with RPI4 and LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-9.2.0.img.gz ?

• On my Panasonic TV 32DS500 and Raspberry Pi 4 CEC works but not full with Libreelec 9.2.1 and older.

Media keys Play,Pause,Stop and 0-9 don´t work

On Raspberry Pi 3 i have sometimes Problems with CEC Media Play,Pause but 0-9 working always

• Hi, I got things to work with my 2019 Samsung Q7 following the suggestions on this thread...so thank you for everyone’s help. Unfortunately, it only worked for a couple of day and now the remote does not work again. I think others are also experiencing this. I guess this proves it’s not the cable or hardware, but some software issue...any thoughts on a permanent fix? Thank you!

• Hi, I got things to work with my 2019 Samsung Q7 following the suggestions on this thread...so thank you for everyone’s help. Unfortunately, it only worked for a couple of day and now the remote does not work again. I think others are also experiencing this. I guess this proves it’s not the cable or hardware, but some software issue...any thoughts on a permanent fix? Thank you!

It might be helpful if you mentioned exactly what you did to fix it, even if it was only temporary.

• I could swear my Rpi4 CEC problems started right after i upgraded the USB3 controller ROM and some other ROM (bootloader?) .. not sure why those would affect CEC.. i tried changing HDMI cables, couldn't get a picture with some cables.. i got it to work once, but then after changing HDMI inputs and back CEC was gone again.. i hope mine will be fixed with 9.2.1 as others have reported here..

I find that I can get CEC working again if I turn off the TV, unplug the Pi4 from the outlet and then plug the power back in. When I do this, the Pi4 will turn on the TV (this is a setting in the config file) and now the Samsung remote will control Kodi again. Maybe this will be helpful in troubleshooting this issue. Thanks!

• Hi,

I have a Samsung RU7099 (2019 model) with a Pi 4 and latest LibreELEC 9.2.1 with kernel Linux 4.19.106 Kodi 18.6 and the HDMI-CEC also not working for me :( Pi is connected directly to TV nothing in-between. I have a small HDMI cable to change small HDMI from Pi4 to normal big HDMI to TV.

Can somebody confirm who has modern Samsung TV that he/she has the following buttons in the remote: Rakuten TV, Netflix, Amazon Prime... My stupid samsung tv has those buttons (before it was other buttons there) and maybe it is not working because of these pre configured buttons on the remote? (I am attaching 2 pictures of the different remotes)

At the moment I do not know how to go further, I will try to figure out something from the log. I will try to copy here.

I read most of the comments here, and I tried most of the tips, but still nothing working as of now.

UPDATE 2020-04-16 19:06: I have a Pi2 with Kodi 18.2, LibreELEC 9.0.2 no issue with HDMI-CEC on the RU7099 Samsung, now this gives me the feeling that either the Pi4 has a problem or the small HDMI cable is wrong (converts micro to std. HDMI), or other SW issues.

I am planning to replace the HDMI cable to this one: Amazon.com: UGREEN Micro HDMI to HDMI Cable Adapter 4K 60Hz Ethernet Audio Return Compatible for GoPro Hero 7 Black Hero 5 4 6, Raspberry Pi 4, Sony A6000 A6300 Camera, Nikon B500, Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro, Yoga 710 3FT: Electronics

But if somebody has a better guess what to check first, please share it. Thank you in advance!

UPDATE 2020-04-16 19:45: I attached my log file, but unfortunately I am unable to read anything useful out of it :(

• I have a Samsung RU7179 with the same remote control and a Raspi4 4G, I have an adapter between a 3m HDMI cable and the Raspi.

So it is not 100% because of the FB.

My brother-in-law with his OLED LG didn't even get sound and vision with the adapter.

What are the differences between the manufacturers and devices? CEC is standardized, right?

• Hi,

Anybody tried this so far: Raspberry Pi: Power On / Off A TV Connected Via HDMI-CEC - Linux Uprising Blog ?

I did it for the not working Pi4 with Samsung RU7099 and this was the feedback:

LibreELECpi4:~ # echo 'scan' | cec-client -s -d 1

opening a connection to the CEC adapter...

requesting CEC bus information ...

CEC bus information

===================

device #1: Recorder 1

address: 3.0.0.0

active source: no

vendor: Pulse Eight

osd string: CECTester

CEC version: 1.4

power status: on

language: eng

currently active source: unknown (-1)

LibreELECpi4:~ #

Just to be sure, I SSH-d to the other pi which is a PI2 running on an older Samsung TV (I already mentioned in my prev post) and this was the outcome (in this setup the Pi2 is connected to a Pioneer AV via HDMI, then the AV is connected to the TV via HDMI, in the TV there is no other HDMI connected):

LibreELEC:~ # echo 'scan' | cec-client -s -d 1

CEC bus information

===================

device #0: TV

address: 0.0.0.0

active source: yes

vendor: Samsung

osd string: TV

address: 3.2.0.0

device #5: Audio

address: 3.0.0.0

vendor: Pioneer

osd string: RECEIVER

language: ???

currently active source: TV (0)

LibreELEC:~ #

I would think that Recorder1 is my Pi, and in this case Pi4 with Samsung RU7099 does not see the TV via CEC at all. Those who are having issues with the CEC on Pi4, did you tried cec-client -s -d 1 yet? If not what will you get if you try that? Your Pi4 is also the one and only device which is recognised by the cec-client?

Thank you for your feedback!

• I received a new cable from a friend, this is not the cheap one which came with the Pi4, golden connector, high speed marking on the cable, brand is UGREEN. HDMI CEC is working now!!!

Proof:

LibreELECpi4:~ # echo 'scan' | cec-client -s -d 1

CEC bus information

===================

device #0: TV

address: 0.0.0.0

vendor: Samsung

osd string: TV

address: 1.0.0.0

active source: yes

currently active source: Recorder 1 (1)

For me it helped to check first via SSH what Pi4 is seeing on the HDMI CEC with this command echo 'scan' | cec-client -s -d 1