RPI4b 4gb, HDMI-CEC

• Hello everyone,

This is my first post in RPI forums, even though been using them since rpi2.

Just bought an rpi4 4gb and I must say the performance is amazing. everything is working as expected (havent tried any addons yet) but it doesnt connect to my Samsung ue55es8000's hdmi-cec. hdmi-cec's been working for my other rpi but this one, i couldt get it to work. so i connected this to another samsung tv and its working for that one (wierd). but no matter what i do, couldnt get hdmi-cec to work on it.

Is there something I can do to troubleshoot this?

cheers

Mj

• Hello,

i have similar problem with LG TV (Simplink). :( Before this i have RPi3 B and worked it with this TV without problem. Now i bought RPi4 4GB version, and nothing. I tried both HDMI ports, wait to new version LibreELEC beta - and still nothing.

And i have question, for CEC functionality, can i use both of RPi ports, or CEC work only on specific HDMI (i tryed Google for answer, but no luck)?

• Hi and yes the menu is in services for hdmi-cec parameters. Checked everything's fine, it actually works on another samsung tv but for my main TV, it doesnt work.

• I had similar problems with the 2GB version on an lg tv. I solved it by using the HDMI port closest to the power socket then going into the CEC settings, I think under peripherals and setting HDMI port to 1.

• one last thing to try if you haven't already, unplug all other HDMI devices from your tv, then switch off the TV and the pi, then switch them back on again. I had to do this once before with a Pi2 to get CEC working.

• Tried all, nothing works :( - i even tried developer builds to see if it makes a difference but nope :(

Pi 4 speed for playing videos is amazing but i can only use it with an external mouse which really doesnt make any sense to me - I mean hdmi-cec is working on all pi's but 4 - such a shame i have to return this pi now and wait for a proper build to come out first.

• HDMI is a standard, and the only parameter that could really change between devices is data transmission speed.

My advice is to take the HDMI cable from the working TV, and plug it into the not working one. Just to be sure it's not the cable. As you know, some HDMI cables are ready for high speed, and others are not, so CEC data could get lost.

• HDMI is a standard, and the only parameter that could really change between devices is data transmission speed.

My advice is to take the HDMI cable from the working TV, and plug it into the not working one. Just to be sure it's not the cable. As you know, some HDMI cables are ready for high speed, and others are not, so CEC data could get lost.

Thank you - I've tried that already but it doesnt work - changed 5 different cables but no luck :(

• Thank you - I've tried that already but it doesnt work - changed 5 different cables but no luck :(

OK, then it's probably not the HDMI cable.

My final idea is that your TV uses special CEC codes, which are not yet implemented for RPi4B.

You could write a bug report, and become a part of the solution.

Write the full TV model name, and give a link to this thread, so devs can know about what you already did.

• OK, then it's probably not the HDMI cable.

My final idea is that your TV uses special CEC codes, which are not yet implemented for RPi4B.

You could write a bug report, and become a part of the solution.

Write the full TV model name, and give a link to this thread, so devs can know about what you already did.

Thank you but I am not sure if that can be the case either as libreelec is perfectly working fine on the same tv with rpi2 andd 3's.

TV: Samsung ue55es8000

• Thank you but I am not sure if that can be the case either as libreelec is perfectly working fine on the same tv with rpi2 andd 3's.

I think it's possible, because CEC data is merged into A/V data. RPi4B uses a different graphics driver to deal with higher resolutions and two HDMI outs. CEC signals have to be filtered out of the HDMI stream, before CEC adapter can handle it.

• I think it's possible, because CEC data is merged into A/V data. RPi4B uses a different graphics driver to deal with higher resolutions and two HDMI outs. CEC signals have to be filtered out of the HDMI stream, before CEC adapter can handle it.

In that case, its definitely needs to be looked at the developers :)

• I think it's possible, because CEC data is merged into A/V data. RPi4B uses a different graphics driver to deal with higher resolutions and two HDMI outs. CEC signals have to be filtered out of the HDMI stream, before CEC adapter can handle it.

This is almost 100% incorrect... (sorry...)

CEC data is never part of the AV stream. In fact, CEC is a separate LOW speed interface (actually a bit like a slow I2C bus). It uses a separate line in the cable from the AV data. Most cables will include CEC support, but there are some that do not.

Info here... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/consumer_electronics_control

• This is almost 100% incorrect... (sorry...)

CEC data is never part of the AV stream. In fact, CEC is a separate LOW speed interface (actually a bit like a slow I2C bus). It uses a separate line in the cable from the AV data. Most cables will include CEC support, but there are some that do not.

Info here... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/consumer_electronics_control

Thanks for the info, I was just guessing to find the problem. :)

Am I correct when I'm saying, the CEC part has a different implementation for RPi4B, compared to RPi3x?

Because that's the point to find a solution.