Boot loop after update Openelec 6.0.3 to LibreElec 7.90

• Hi All,

after updating to LibreElec version 7.90.006 my HTPC is in a boot cycle. When I downgrade to Openelc 6.0.3 the problem is gone. My HTPC is build with the following compents:

- AMD A6-5400K
    - MSI A88XI AC

It shows syslinux then boots again. I also tried Openelc 7.0 beta 3 with the same results. Tried clean install and upgrade.

Who can help?

Edited once, last by hugie (October 3, 2016 at 9:51 PM).

• Tried both.

Clean install boots and gives prompt where you see TAB for options. Then the system boots and the process repeats.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

• Hi milhouse I rolled back to openelec 6.0.3 and everything works like a charm. I am not able to upgrade to OE 6.95 or libreelec 7.

Also clean installs don't work. I have read other report from users with msi hardware with the same problem.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Edited once, last by hugie (October 7, 2016 at 8:55 PM).

• hugie: Thanks. I realise this is going to be tedious and potentially a lot of work, but can you try the builds from here? They're update only builds (ie. tar files, no .img.gz) so you'll need a working system in order to apply each update.

I'd suggest starting with the oldest Generic build, #0904 (04-Sep-2015), then - assuming it doesn't boot loop - working forwards through the builds until you find the first build that does boot loop, as this may then give us an idea of the change that is responsible.

It might also be worth testing with the very latest Generic build from here, just in case it's already fixed (new 4.8.0 kernel etc.).

The only other thing to check is your BIOS - are there any BIOS updates from your motherboard vendor that you can apply?
    [hr]
    hugie: Just a wild guess (as I think this problem should already be fixed in all 4.x.x kernels) can you add "radeon.dpm=0" to the end of your kernel command line (the line that begins with "APPEND" in /flash/syslinux.cfg for legacy BIOS boot, or /flash/EFI/BOOT/syslinux.cfg if booting with UEFI) and then try booting one of the LibreELEC builds that currently boot loops. Otherwise please try the steps outlined in my previous post (without "radeon.dpm=0").

Edited once, last by milhouse (October 7, 2016 at 11:05 PM).

• I haven't had much issues with my Gigabyte F2A88XM mobos + AMD 5300 apu setups, although it's been a while since I ran OE or LE on them, since they are my file servers. It could be that MSI boards are more allergic to our "bloody edge" approach. I will try and run the latest LE alpha on them and see what happens.

• Hard to say, as from what I could find while googling for boot issues with MSI motherboards and AMD APUs the boot issues should have been fixed a long time ago (3.x kernels) so for it to still be occurring with 4.x kernels it could be a regression, or a different issue entirely that just happens to have the same solution/workaround.

• [hr]
    hugie: Just a wild guess (as I think this problem should already be fixed in all 4.x.x kernels) can you add "radeon.dpm=0" to the end of your kernel command line (the line that begins with "APPEND" in /flash/syslinux.cfg for legacy BIOS boot, or /flash/EFI/BOOT/syslinux.cfg if booting with UEFI) and then try booting one of the LibreELEC builds that currently boot loops. Otherwise please try the steps outlined in my previous post (without "radeon.dpm=0").

still very helpful when upgrading from openelec !!

step 1Manual Update / Migration from OpenELEC (.tar)LibreELEC update files are compatible with OpenELEC. To migrate transfer the manual update file over to /storage/.update/ or the “Updates” samba share before rebooting to start the update process:LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.0.1.tar (info)
    step 2 bootloop
    step3
    - Make a flash USB with last LE image.
    - Edit syslinux.cfg to add radeon.dpm=0 at live line and installer line
    - Boot using flash and use live
    - As in this moment the hdd is mounted, edit the similar cfg file (forgot the real file name ) on the hdd (system dir) to add same (radeon.dpm=0).
    - Remove the flash and reboot.

step 4
    happy guy !!

• Hi just seeing if you could help, I've followed your steps and im currently in boot loop after applying the LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.0.1.tar update.

I have made the flash usb with the libreelec usb creator with the file LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.0.1.img.gz and edited the syslinux.cfg so I'm able to boot in live.

but now have hit a stumbling block as I'm looking in file manager (if that's right) and I'm unsure what file I'm looking for (or where to find it) on the hdd to add the radeon.dpm=0, any help would be appreciated