PI4 and 3D mvc not working

• I am just joining this thread of endless wait.

What a IRONY !

1: I "upgraded" from a PC to Rpi3 to make it more "smooth and modern"

2: then discovered that 6ch audio over HDMI was not supereasy, so I got TOSLINK board

3.. then I discovered that Rpi3b would not handle h265, so I "upgraded" to Rpi4 ..

4...now it can't play 3D...

5... I will most likely have to go back to a PC and Kodi on Ubuntu to get things working.. (revert to state "0")

• 3D-MVC is the ONLY thing I use any Kodi-based players for.

For anything else I use a brand-named device like a Shield, Roku etc. No fiddling and they just work.....plus you can get the commercial services on it, unlike Kodi......mostly.

• 3D is not currently supported under the GBM/V4L2 video pipeliine and adding support is not a high priority for the Pi Foundation devs. I've been told that adding TAB/SBS support in the future should be possible, but MVC requires more complex changes and MVC ISO support is unlikely to ever be added back to RPi4 (and RPi2/3 once they bump to GBM/V4L2). In the last 8-years of running distros on Pi boards some lessons have been learned and this time around we all (LE, Kodi and Pi Foundation devs) aren't interested in authoring and then maintaining 100,000 lines of code patches that can never be upstreamed to the respective projects 3D depends upon (kernel, kodi, ffmpeg, and more) - it defeats the point of moving everything to a clean upstream codebase.

LE 9.2.6 remains the best option for 3D support.

1. Read about 3D software.
    2. Buy 3D hardware.

Especially if you go for exotic things like 3D, this order is mandatory.

Nope.

Simply no... SBS 3D videos play normally on any software player I've tried, they simply consist of two both frames side-by-side ... any mplayer/VLC/SMplayer plays them fine - apparently with no "driver" the projector does the decoding/alternating of the frames.

None of those players bother to have 3D menus or 3D subtitle support. - which is still working for nice video playback.
    Here we have a perfectly fine SBS menu, subtitles in 3D , but instead of displaying both frames inside the picture, like those players do .. it seems we somehow crop the output to one single frame.

• Nope.

Simply no... SBS 3D videos play normally on any software player I've tried, they simply consist of two both frames side-by-side ... any mplayer/VLC/SMplayer plays them fine - apparently with no "driver" the projector does the decoding/alternating of the frames.

None of those players bother to have 3D menus or 3D subtitle support. - which is still working for nice video playback.
    Here we have a perfectly fine SBS menu, subtitles in 3D , but instead of displaying both frames inside the picture, like those players do .. it seems we somehow crop the output to one single frame.

You would think this is true, but I have had TAB files and to a lesser extent SBS files that will play, but not properly on any of the three 3DTV's I own including one projector even though I could play the file on my PC and they appear to be "normal". Could be anectodal, but I don't know if your statement is 100% correct.

Regardless, SBS/TAB is only half resolution. I'm not goign to get into all the reasons for that, but the info is out there if you want it and didn't know this already.

MVC is the only way to consume this media in 3D without losing any quality. The half-res stuff may be "good enough" for many use cases or preferences, but it's not the real deal.

ISO support is FAR less critical to me as I rip all my media for playing in Plex primarily. I only use Kodi-based players for 3D-MVC. The Vero4K+ is the only open-source player that will play virtually any format up to the last couple years. I don't think it handles DolbyVision, but Atmos, 4K, 3D-MVC etc.....no problem. If you use any streaming services like NetFlix, Prime etc it doesn't handle those without hacking so it won't replace my Roku or Shields fully at this point. Being able to run this on a Pi4 would be a step forward since it can handle HD audio, 4K etc.

• One question remains: does it work on the x86 distro of LibreElec ? - will it still have driver problems ?

I tried Kodi on my Ubuntu workstation, and it works perfectly fine ! - I will try libreelec on PC, then go to Ubuntu+Kodi if that fails too.

Edited once, last by Anke: Merged a post created by Anke into this post. (March 18, 2021 at 9:23 PM).

• Nope.

The workaround is to not tell kodi the files are 3D.

Make sure filenames do not contain the 3d tags (either by changing the filename or the default 3d tags matched):

3D - Official Kodi Wiki

or use the OSD interface to set the file to 2D.
    That should mean the menus/subs won't go into 3D mode, but it also means the video will be played normally,

which for half-SBS/half-TAB is what you want.

• popcornmix fantastic!

I've already rigged down the Pi4 and installed Ubunu+Kodi

I like the workaround because Rpi would be always-on - and discover new content.

Can the OSD be manually set to 3D mode after disabling the file-name based detection? if yes, that would be great - because the kids need subs (we are not natively English speaking, and watching English movies is good for them)

• popcornmix ok I just tested it, and unfortunately : NO . one can't have both normal SBS video and 3D menu/subtitles.

One can choose to play any file with 3D disabled, but then, if I go into settings, and select SBS (for menu/overlay) - then the video is sabotaged.

To me this looks like a really simple fix:

Just bypass/disable Kodi's ability to mess with the video, just allow user to select 3D menu/subtitle.

Then, after many years, people could enjoy simple SBS/TAB 3D.

If somebody could be so nice and build a patched file... I would SCP it into my kodi and test. :)

• The workaround just gets half-SBS 3D playback working like on the other players you suggested.

i.e. with no 3d menus/subs.

It is on the list of things to fix, but it's not the highest priority.

If it is a "really simple fix", then pull requests are welcome.

• If it is a "really simple fix", then pull requests are welcome.

this is a really simple fix like "when changing menu settings to 3D , do NOT touch the video config (which is set to "3D disabled")

or:

never change video to "3D", only menus/subs(GUI)

- basically a comment out in both cases.

However: the change is not trivial to someone who has no knowledge of the structure of Kodi/Libreelec. (like me), and don't have the toolchain set up. I am kind of scared away already assuming there are many more equally prioritized bugs that will pop up in the future.

• 3D is not currently supported under the GBM/V4L2 video pipeliine and adding support is not a high priority for the Pi Foundation devs. I've been told that adding TAB/SBS support in the future should be possible, but MVC requires more complex changes and MVC ISO support is unlikely to ever be added back to RPi4 (and RPi2/3 once they bump to GBM/V4L2). In the last 8-years of running distros on Pi boards some lessons have been learned and this time around we all (LE, Kodi and Pi Foundation devs) aren't interested in authoring and then maintaining 100,000 lines of code patches that can never be upstreamed to the respective projects 3D depends upon (kernel, kodi, ffmpeg, and more) - it defeats the point of moving everything to a clean upstream codebase.

LE 9.2.6 remains the best option for 3D support.

Hi,

Do you have a link Download for The Best Last LibreELEC 3D MVC Support For This Rasberry PI 3B+ ?

Thanks You.