Posts by toxwa

If we are not speaking about MVC encoded 3D or framepacked output, I don't understand why we need driver support. A HSBS encoded file is just a normal 1080p file where both views are shown at half width. Output would again be a normal 1080p output with a split gui on top. Why does a video driver need to support it?

This problem was already visible on the rpi4 which has been using GBM a lot longer. If you search for 3d and rpi 4 you'll get several posts about it. I ignore the 3D gui and just play the SBS and TAB files like normal 1080p videos and set the 3d mode on my tv as a workaround.

If the problem now exists on the generic build as well I believe it's either time to fix it or to disable the 3d features on GBM builds (at least temporary).

I understand that 3D MVC support is a driver issue and unlikely to ever be fixed.

3D output to a TV (making it switch to the correct 3d mode automatically) might be difficult as well.

On the other hand half or full TAB or SBS should be relatively easy to fix for a developer that is familiar with the GBM pipeline (sadly, I am not a programmer). It is clear that the kodi gui has support for 3d features and asks a left and right view from the video pipeline, but GBM provides an unsplit frame twice instead of a frame split in a left and right view. That is why in 2D mode with your half SBS file, you get a split view, and in 3d mode you get 4 views. To fix this someone needs to implement the 3D part in GBM so it can deliver a left and right view separately when it knows the 3D format of the source file. That would fix all problems with (H)TAB and (H)SBS encoded files and give users the same working output options as with the legacy builds. It would not work for MVC encoded files.

I know it's very low priority so I will be patient and use the workaround like I have been using for the past years.

I agree with chewitt that it's Argon's problem. They should update their script or at least specify that their script only works on Libreelec 9 and not on 10.

I never had any problems with my Argon case, but I did configure it manually with the Kodi, Harmony, and Raspberry PI 4 with IR sensor newb guide already linked in this thread. To get the power on/off to work with the case (when using a custom remote), I used an SD card with raspberry Pi OS and argon's script for that OS to program the case (see this post). If you use the argon one remote, power on/of should just work out of the box without this step.

For anyone else trying to get the power on function in libreelec to work with the argon one v2, this is what worked for me:

- use the case with a pi running rasberry pi os (I used an extra sd card, raspios lite gave errors with the scripts, so use the full one)

- use these commands:

Code
    curl https://download.argon40.com/argon1.sh | bash
    argonone-ir

- Follow the steps to program the case to use a power button from any remote (needs to be NEC protocol, I used a mecool KIII pro profile on my harmony)

- use the case with libreelec (the v2 ir module will remember the power command from the remote)

I am aware that the rpi4 has a different new graphics driver. And I do respect that 3D is video is very low priority these days and there are more important things to fix. But the point I was trying to make is that a SBS video file is no different from a normal 1080p file except for maybe some metadata and/or the letters SBS in the filename. We know a rpi4 can hardware decode and play a 1080p file, we also know it can output the gui in 3D. So the problem doesn't seem driver related.

But we always warmly welcome developers for graphics drivers if you're interested. :)

I wish I had some more c++ and driver knowledge, but sadly I don't think I can create usable graphics driver code.

I understand that MVC is very low priority and unlikely to have, but I have to admit that support for a simple SBS/TAB movie should be relatively simple and platform independent. I don't have a pi 4, but on my pi 3 and on my pc libreelec does split it correctly (using 9.2.6).

As a HSBS file is like a normal 1080p file with 2 views at half the resolution combined into 1 frame I would suspect the process to be something like this:

1: Open a HSBS 1080p h264 file

2: Kodi detects it's HSBS based on metadata/filename tags

3: rpi4 decodes the 1080p h264 video frames with hardware decoding (platform specific driver for decoding handled by ffmpeg/v4l2?)

4: The renderer from kodi splits the UI+subtitles to HSBS

5: The renderer from kodi splits the decoded frames into a left and right view

6: The views and UI are combined to one output frame is HSBS format

7: the frames are sent to the TV (using the drivers from the rpi4).

It seems to me only step 3 (hardware decoding) and step 7 (sending the video to the right output) are different on a pi4 due to a different driver, the rest should work the same as a pi3 or generic pc. So what am I missing? It seems that on a pi4, step 6 combines the ui from HSBS with the videoframe with monoscopic output. Or somehow the hardware decoder of the pi also detects HSBS and passes the left view of the frame for kodi to process, but this seems unlikely.

Anke Since you mention VLC/mplayer I assume you're testing with a standard (H)SBS video and not a MVC encoded video. When you say current release, do you mean 9.2.6 or the 10.0 BETA 1 that was just released? What happens when you choose monoscopic as stereo mode? Does it show you half of the left view?

As a workaround, you could always disable the stereoscopic features in kodi and use the TV to select HSBS. This gives you the 3D video but the UI and subtitles aren't rendered correctly (so no advantage over VLC/mplayer except the nice video library).