LibreELEC (Leia) 9.2 ALPHA1 with Raspberry Pi 4B Support

• milhouse I will wait for the USB booting then. I was wondering if I can use the following method (I guess it should be faster):

1. Download RPi4 image and manually upgrade my RPi3 with it (update folder).
    2. After rebooting my RPi3 should show the rainbow screen (firmware not right)
    3. Activate USB boot on my RPi4 (when available)
    4. Plug in my USB HDD in the RPi4 and cross fingers

What do you think?

You'd need to create /storage/.update/.nocompat to allow the RPi3 to upgrade using RPi4 image/tar, but then once it has finished upgrading to the RPi4 version of LibreELEC it will fail to boot as the new RPi4-based installation (when running on your RPi4 hardware) would not be able to boot from the USB drive to which it has been installed.

If you left the RPi4-based installation running on your RPi3 hardware it may actually boot from your USB HDD, but the "RPi4 on RPi3" user experience is not good at the moment.

My advice would be to install the RPi4 image to a fresh SD card, boot it and restore a backup of your RPi3 installation. Once USB booting is supported by the RPi4 - instructions will be posted detailing the bootloader flashing process - you should be able to attempt upgrading your RPI3 without the SD card using the latest RPi4 image and the nocompat method above. Then replace your RPi3 with your RPi4.

• Yesterday I tried to play few movies in Kodi in 4k - results are not good, stuttering, freezing etc.

Dolby Atmos and DTS HD MA not worked only DD 5.1 (yes i had enabled passthrough and Dolby Atmos and DTS HD MA capable receiver, this option worked with my S905X).

Were these h264 or HEVC 4K videos? 4K video playback is HEVC only.

From the announcement post:

* HEVC decode to 4K@60 (with HDR)

* H.264 decode to 1080p@60

If these were HEVC 4K videos, can you post the media info?

• Were these h264 or HEVC 4K videos? 4K video playback is HEVC only.

From the announcement post:

* HEVC decode to 4K@60 (with HDR)

* H.264 decode to 1080p@60

If these were HEVC 4K videos, can you post the media info?

I will check it when i get back to home, because I'm not sure. Anyway, it's a chance to get 4k h264 video in future?

How about that audio? Should Dolby Atmos and DTS HD MA now work properly?

Thanks.

• I will check it when i get back to home, because I'm not sure. Anyway, it's a chance to get 4k h264 video in future?

How about that audio? Should Dolby Atmos and DTS HD MA now work properly?

Thanks.

I don't think the hardware will support 4K H264 decode. It's more likely that 4K videos will be HEVC.

Initially DTS HD-MA should work same as RPi3B, ie. LPCM, but HBR audio support is planned for the future which is when Atmos should work too.

• Hi all,

I installed this release on my PI4 2gb and and have a few questions.

I can play 4K HEVC files fine but as all of them are HDR which isn't supported yet will this result in incorrect playback? They seem to be washed-out and lacking colour but this could be in my mind.

The maximum refresh rate I can get is 30. In 1080p I can get 60. Is this likely to be down to the HDMI cable I'm using? I seem to remember I had this with my laptop and had to buy a quality cable. I'm using a micro to full size adaptor which I think might be limiting things.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• I don't think the hardware will support 4K H264 decode. It's more likely that 4K videos will be HEVC.

Initially DTS HD-MA should work same as RPi3B, ie. LPCM, but HBR audio support is planned for the future which is when Atmos should work too.

Thanks. One last question about Atmos. It's matter of days or weeks?

• Hi all,

I can play 4K HEVC files fine but as all of them are HDR which isn't supported yet will this result in incorrect playback? They seem to be washed-out and lacking colour but this could be in my mind.

The maximum refresh rate I can get is 30. In 1080p I can get 60. Is this likely to be down to the HDMI cable I'm using? I seem to remember I had this with my laptop and had to buy a quality cable. I'm using a micro to full size adaptor which I think might be limiting things.

documentation/hdmi-config.md at master · raspberrypi/documentation · GitHub

In /flash/config.txt, add the following to enable 4Kp60 support:

Code
    hdmi_enable_4k=1

HDR metadata should be ignored for now, so if your display looks washed out try toggling Settings > System > Display > Use limited colour rage (16-235).

• Hi All, new here...

Anyway - the new Raspi has potential to solve one of my problems. My TV has one 4K HDMI input, but my reciever is 1080P only. Unfortunatly the TV will only send stereo back down the ARC if the source is external. So I need a way of getting passthrough audio to the reciever.

Will it be possible to use the second HDMI to output the audio (with or without 1080P or lower video) while sending the full 4K video to the TV on the other HDMI?

If so, that would be great. Thanks for any help.

• Will it be possible to use the second HDMI to output the audio (with or without 1080P or lower video) while sending the full 4K video to the TV on the other HDMI?

I've read that it's possible to configure which HDMI output will get audio (and CEC), so I guess it could maybe work.

I have no idea though how Kodi will react to two active video outputs and unfortunately I have no easy way to test this. Maybe someone else could chime in and check if this works.

so long,

Hias

• So I tested 4K HEVC video and it's working almost properly. But i must say I have washed out color too (like someone sad before me). Changing option "Limited color range" doesn't work and make things worse. I would say it looks like very bad HDR. I'm using original HDMI cable from PI Foundation (HDMI to micro HDMI). My Samsung TV has HDMI port set to HDMI UHD color (didn't try turn it off yet (but again with S905X it worked fine).

Sometimes I get delayed audio, but that could be a source issue.

Real pain is reading from my NAS via ethernet. It's connected via gigabit network and when I try to play even 2,7k it can't buffer enough and stutter a lot. I must say that via TV (which is connected just with 100M) and my old S905X (again 100M) android box it's working fine, so it must be RPi4 or LE issue.

Next thing is, do you guys have same problem with overheating like me? The RPi 4 is really hot and I used passive cooler to CPU which helped just a bit. It says CPU temperature 80°C and I'm just sitting in menu. I can't realize playing 2 hours of 4k movie, after that will RPi 4 burn through my furniture :).

• Hi,

I just got a RPi4 (version 2GB) and after installing and booting up, in hte homescreen Kodi just freezes. Any special configuration I should do?

It should'nt be. Just download image from website, put it to your SD card (for example via Etcher), put SD card back to RPi and LibreELEC should install. Then you can use Kodi.

• So I tested 4K HEVC video and it's working almost properly. But i must say I have washed out color too (like someone sad before me). Changing option "Limited color range" doesn't work and make things worse. I would say it looks like very bad HDR. I'm using original HDMI cable from PI Foundation (HDMI to micro HDMI). My Samsung TV has HDMI port set to HDMI UHD color (didn't try turn it off yet (but again with S905X it worked fine).

Sometimes I get delayed audio, but that could be a source issue.

Real pain is reading from my NAS via ethernet. It's connected via gigabit network and when I try to play even 2,7k it can't buffer enough and stutter a lot. I must say that via TV (which is connected just with 100M) and my old S905X (again 100M) android box it's working fine, so it must be RPi4 or LE issue.

Next thing is, do you guys have same problem with overheating like me? The RPi 4 is really hot and I used passive cooler to CPU which helped just a bit. It says CPU temperature 80°C and I'm just sitting in menu. I can't realize playing 2 hours of 4k movie, after that will RPi 4 burn through my furniture :).

I'm not sure about the high temperature, this is an uncased 4GB RPi4 (no heatsink) with 9.1.001 while idle at the Home menu for 7 hours:

2nTO5bx.png

Have you installed any add-ons? Is this a clean installation or upgrade from RPi3 - try a "clean" /storage/.kodi without any third party add-ons and see if you still have issues (maybe an add-on has gone nuts and is spinning on the CPU).

Does the GUI look washed out or is it just videos? Presumably the washed out videos are HDR videos? As previously stated, there is currently no HDR support until this is baked into the Linux kernel, probably 5.2 or 5.3 so I'd expect the HDR metadata to be ignored. Can you upload a small sample video (or link to a sample video) that demonstrates the problem?

• Hi,

I just got a RPi4 (version 2GB) and after installing and booting up, in hte homescreen Kodi just freezes. Any special configuration I should do?

Did you pick up the official 3Amp USB-C power supply or are you using your own? What is the rating of your PSU?

• Another device with usb 3.x host controller and buggy usb 2.0 backward compatibility (or linux usb host driver bugs in modern kernels)

• Hi all,

If HDR10 HDR with a Rec 2020 gamut content (i.e. UHD Blu-ray material) is played as if it is SDR Rec 709 it will look very washed out as the colour primaries and 'gamma' (for want of a better word) are very different and unless a tone mapping conversion is taking place it will look terrible. You may find you can force your TV into HDR10 and Rec 2020 but this still may not make things 100% correct (as the RGB<->YCrCb matrices for 709 and 2020 are different)