can libreelec boot pc without usb

• I am trying to make a older pc into a libreelec media pc! I figured just use usb creator on my hard drive using my usb hard drive adapter, wont work doesn't read it no matter what I do or partition size 32 64 320 none will read!

Since the usb boots and bypasses windows os I know this has to be possible

• The usb creator creates an installation usb not an OS. Then you boot from it and install to the HDD.

If you change in file syslinux.cfg line DEFAULT installer to DEFAULT run it will run from this same stick. and no need to install it anywhere.

• mrwizzer seems to be wanting to install LE onto a HDD, not run it from USB.

Or, am I thinking of the old installer?

I tried that once and was not very satisfied. YMMV

Edited once, last by donbrew (April 16, 2019 at 8:19 PM).

• sorry for the late response to everyone! Thanks so much for your time and help, yes that's exactly what I was trying to do is run the pc hard drive off libreelec instead of just a usb. The same as you would load a windows os was hoping there was a way to do permanent libreelec on a hard drive? I have a older pc to use, it boots off a usb bypassing the hard drive so why wouldn't it be able to run on a drive? Or have libreelec creator's never gone this route?

• Can you describe what installation image you are using, and what happens when you boot the image from stick? If it's a real installer, there should appear the option to install on your HDD.

PS: If you don't see any target drives to install, reformat your HDD with a tool like "GParted Live". You can run it from stick, too. It's interesting whether the tool can "see" your HDD while running from stick.

The result should be a single, error-free partition (ext3 for example) with no boot flag set. Try to run the LE installer on that setup.

• Can you describe what installation image you are using, and what happens when you boot the image from stick? If it's a real installer, there should appear the option to install on your HDD.

PS: If you don't see any target drives to install, reformat your HDD with a tool like "GParted Live". You can run it from stick, too. It's interesting whether the tool can "see" your HDD while running from stick.

The result should be a single, error-free partition (ext3 for example) with no boot flag set. Try to run the LE installer on that setup.

I'm using a 350gb hard drive, hooked up on a usb adapter I use to read hard drives and program them for pcs. It reads like a usb drive! But the libreelec creator won't pick it up, no matter how it's formatted 32gb 64gb or full 320 will recheck ntfs or fat only other factors that I can think of! Otherwise I should be able to program the drive and install it straight to the pc and run like a os

• I'm using a 350gb hard drive, hooked up on a usb adapter I use to read hard drives and program them for pcs. It reads like a usb drive! But the libreelec creator won't pick it up, no matter how it's formatted 32gb 64gb or full 320 will recheck ntfs or fat only other factors that I can think of! Otherwise I should be able to program the drive and install it straight to the pc and run like a os

You said you can boot from USB, but it doesn't mean you can install from external to external device.

It looks like you want to use a modern USB HDD with an old PC. I think that doesn't works, because of the old PC's firmware (BIOS). Find a way to install an HDD internally (maybe use an adapter, if possible). I bet an internal drive will be detected by the LE installer.

• PS: A couple of days ago I guided another user, who installed LE from external to external device. So, I know LE is able to do this on modern PC's, but on most older PC's the BIOS is unable to do this. Take into account that old USB interfaces are usually slow, and an OS at such an interface will run slowly, too.

• You said you can boot from USB, but it doesn't mean you can install from external to external device.

It looks like you want to use a modern USB HDD with an old PC. I think that doesn't works, because of the old PC's firmware (BIOS). Find a way to install an HDD internally (maybe use an adapter, if possible). I bet an internal drive will be detected by the LE installer.

One of us has misunderstood what he's trying to do.

The way I read it he wants to use the usb creator tool to write directly to his hard drive, rather than writing to a usb stick and then booting the pc from that and installing to his hard drive. The tool isn't designed to do that, so it's not surprising it doesn't work.

Or he means something else...?

• PS: A couple of days ago I guided another user, who installed LE from external to external device. So, I know LE is able to do this on modern PC's, but on most older PC's the BIOS is unable to do this. Take into account that old USB interfaces are usually slow, and an OS at such an interface will run slowly, too.

Are you sure? Because I've done exactly that on plenty of pc's over the years (openelec and libbreelec) and not many of them are what I'd call remotely modern.

• I suppose anything's possible, but I don't see why you think that's likely or relevant here. If he can boot from usb then as long as the installer can see the (usb) hard drive he can install libreelec to it.

And if the installer can't see the hard drive it's still possible to install to it manually.

But he can't boot libreelec from usb until he runs the creator app and makes something to boot from.

I figured just use usb creator on my hard drive using my usb hard drive adapter, wont work doesn't read it no matter what I do or partition size 32 64 320 none will read!

Since the usb boots and bypasses windows os I know this has to be possible

I just tried the usb creator app - it recognised my usb flash drives but not my usb hard drives. That's his issue. Which isn't really an issue at all.