[S812] MIII Plus 2Gb\16Gb eMMC

• Bubblegum thanks for response.

I find the 'LibreELEC.USB-SD.Creator.Win32' very easy to use, just run it, choose/browse to file to burn and press write, less than a minute finished.

This has worked successfully when I created LibreELEC USB USB for my S905X, so don't know why same process, same USB isn't working for my Minix X8H+

EDIT:-

Bubblegum

Took a look at Rufus,

Which of three partition scheme and target system type do I choose?

Which of four file systems do I choose?

Which of three cluster sizes do I choose?

Not knowing the answers to above questions is why I used the SD/USB creator as all it asks is which file do you want to use to burn my USB.

Edited once, last by Jeffers (September 16, 2017 at 7:39 AM).

• Bubblegum thanks for response.

I find the 'LibreELEC.USB-SD.Creator.Win32' very easy to use, just run it, choose/browse to file to burn and press write, less than a minute finished.

This has worked successfully when I created LibreELEC USB USB for my S905X, so don't know why same process, same USB isn't working for my Minix X8H+

personally, I would zero fill the usb before burning the image, just in case there is a problem with it.

Low Level Format and zero-filling

• This is pic of what is recorded on my USB:-

I'm tired of repeating the same thing ....

the activation of multi-boot is possible ONLY WITH SD CARD. After a single activation multi-boot from SD card, you can start the system from USB stick or SD card.

[S812] MIII Plus 2Gb\16Gb eMMC

The new version of images 20170915. Pay attention, i'm add to image custom script s805_autoscript_data_to_emmc. This script allows you to use a combined version of the system start-up. The system located on external media (SD card or USB flash drive) and user data (movies and stuff) and the settings LE are placed in the internal memory eMMC. This significantly speeds up access to data. This is useful for playback of "heavy" video, the code is not enough bandwidth of a USB or SD card for bestrowpseudo the desired data. To use this function you need to rename the script s905_autoscript_data_to_emmc in s905_autoscript . Details of this function see here .

The steps described in this topic, you do not need to script does everything you need automatically.

[HOWTO] Boot from SD card, use internal memory for data

• Thanks for response.

Tried SD Card with both these images:- LibreELEC-S812.arm-17.4_20170830-X8H_Plus.img.gz and LibreELEC-S812.Minix.arm-17.3.img and both gave the same result.

With recovery button pressed in display on TV cycles from MINIX logo to blank screen to Minix logo to blank screen until I release recovery button.

Then three line text displayed top right of TV screen warning me that file corruption has been detected and I have 120 seconds to press any key or disconnect power.

Would you let me know what I have missed so I can try again.

• Then you did everything OK. Use your usb-stick with libreelec now to boot from. Just put it in the usb port and start your box normally (no reset button or toothpick necessary).

• Then you did everything OK. Use your usb-stick with libreelec now to boot from. Just put it in the usb port and start your box normally (no reset button or toothpick necessary).

Rebooted Minix without recovery button pressed, with SDCard in, Minix Logo displayed, then blank screen, then the three lines of text telling me to press a button or power off box.

Using this image LibreELEC-S812.arm-17.4_20170830-X8H_Plus.img.gz.

Tried to reboot a number of times, always got the 120 second message.

What am I doing wrong?

• Jeffers you can´t use a sdcard. With new kernel the new image only work (for me) with a usb pen. You must write the image to a Usb Pen and reboot your box.

Thanks for reply.

Have I got this correct:-

1. Burn image to SDCard
    2. Boot Minix with SDCard in and recovery button pressed
    3. Let Minix logo/blank screen cycle three times and release recovery button
    4. 120 second press any key or power off box message displayed, means success, power off Minix
    5. Burn image to USB
    6. Plug USB into Minix and reboot, LibreELEC should boot from USB :)

Key Lessons I have learned if above is correct:-

1. The first time you have to boot from a LibreELEC SDCard to set up multi boot
    2. All subsequent LibreELEC boots have to be from a LibreELEC USB, cannot boot from LibreELEC SDCard

Please correct any mistakes I am making above.

This is very different to the process of booting to LibreELEC on my S905X box, my understanding is that this is caused by the peculiarities of the Minix X8H+ box

• Thanks for reply.

Have I got this correct:-

1. Burn image to SDCard
    2. Boot Minix with SDCard in and recovery button pressed
    3. Let Minix logo/blank screen cycle three times and release recovery button
    4. 120 second press any key or power off box message displayed, means success, power off Minix
    5. Burn image to USB
    6. Plug USB into Minix and reboot, LibreELEC should boot from USB :)

Key Lessons I have learned if above is correct:-

1. The first time you have to boot from a LibreELEC SDCard to set up multi boot
    2. All subsequent LibreELEC boots have to be from a LibreELEC USB, cannot boot from LibreELEC SDCard

Please correct any mistakes I am making above.

This is very different to the process of booting to LibreELEC on my S905X box, my understanding is that this is caused by the peculiarities of the Minix X8H+ box

OK, did the above.

When booting Minix with LibreELEC USB plugged in the Minix stayed on the Minix Android robot for longer than usual and then booted into android as normal.

I am thinking I am almost there but just need to do one last thing, but I don't know what that is.

Anyone able to tell me what this may be :) ?

• For Minix you have to activate multi-boot with additional steps (this only applies to models from Minix).

1. Download and burn image on SD card (note that for a one-time activation necessarily need a multi-boot SD card). Boot loaders (u-boot) platform S812 can'T run the update script from USB.

2. Create on SD card directory "boot". Download the script "boot.scr" (it is specifically designed to activate the multi-boot on Minix). Copy the script to the boot directory on the SD card (should be /boot/boot.scr)

3. To connect the card to Minix and run "toothpick method"

4. If you are lucky, LE to boot from SD card, but the experience of many users, often the system will fail to start. In this case, you need to write an image LE on the USB flash drive, after recording what not to change in it. Connected to the Minix and turn on the power. Pay attention, the first launch should connection to USB ports only one USB drives (all other USB devices must be disabled).

• For Minix you have to activate multi-boot with additional steps (this only applies to models from Minix).

1. Download and burn image on SD card (note that for a one-time activation necessarily need a multi-boot SD card). Boot loaders (u-boot) platform S812 can'T run the update script from USB.

2. Create on SD card directory "boot". Download the script "boot.scr" (it is specifically designed to activate the multi-boot on Minix). Copy the script to the boot directory on the SD card (should be /boot/boot.scr)

3. To connect the card to Minix and run "toothpick method"

4. If you are lucky, LE to boot from SD card, but the experience of many users, often the system will fail to start. In this case, you need to write an image LE on the USB flash drive, after recording what not to change in it. Connected to the Minix and turn on the power. Pay attention, the first launch should connection to USB ports only one USB drives (all other USB devices must be disabled).

Thanks again for response.

I don't know what to do with regards the highlighted parts of your response below:-

By burning an image to SDCard and booted with SDCard in Minix box with recover button pressed as I outlined above, have I already done 1. above?

Where do I download boot.scr for Minix, to load onto SDCard from?

• I used this image when creating SDCard and USB:- LibreELEC-S812.arm-17.4_20170830-X8H_Plus.img.gz

Looking at the files on my SDCard and USB they already have a boot.scr on them, as part of writing the image to them.

Is this boot.scr that came with the image the correct one?

Do I need to create a folder called 'boot' and copy boot.scr into it, or is boot.scr on my SDCard and USB?

This is the file structure on my SDCard:-

This is the file structure on my USB:-

• Do I need to create a folder called 'boot' and copy boot.scr into it, or is boot.scr on my SDCard and USB?

Yes.

All your steps to enable multi-boot on Minix (using the "toothpick method") , without the presence of the SD card /boot/boot.scr is not working. Create a directory /boot and then move the file "boot.scr" . Then, once again run the "toothpick method".

• Yes.

All your steps to enable multi-boot on Minix (using the "toothpick method") , without the presence of the SD card /boot/boot.scr is not working. Create a directory /boot and then move the file "boot.scr" . Then, once again run the "toothpick method".

Thanks for response.

So the boot.scr that came as part of the image is the correct one to use.

I will create a folder named boot on my SDCard and USB, and move the file boot.scr to it and retest, starting with the toothpick method and the SDCard..