i.MX6 image with kernel 3.14 from solidrun

• Hello here as well :) I thought we could look at the playback issue together:

I have a Cubox i4pro that worked wonders with OpenElec. Up until Kodi 16.1 (OE 6.95.3), playback was always flawless and I never had any issues with the thing (apart from some HDMI colour depth stuff that was fixed with kernel 3.14). These new Krypton alpha builds however look nice, have more features, but have issues with video playback. Under exactly the same circumstances (everything stays the same, same device, same movie, same network - I simply switch SD cards), Kodi 16.1 plays everything smooth while Kodi 17 sometimes struggles with even SD content.

Here is a debug log from 17: Kodi 17 Cubox-i4pro IMX6 playback - Pastebin.com
    And here is the same from 16.1: Kodi 16 Cubox-i4 IMX6 working - Pastebin.com
    (just saw your .007-sr3.14 image, will test that and provide logs here)

Any idea what goes wrong here? I'm happy to provide more logs if that helps.

Edited once, last by Z0l (October 23, 2016 at 8:07 PM).

• Any idea what goes wrong here? I'm happy to provide more logs if that helps.

No idea. And I'm not capable to fix such issues. I can only pick bits and pieces.

You can post some samples and describe exactly what is wrong with them.

Edited once, last by vpeter (October 24, 2016 at 7:12 AM).

• Hey!

First of all, thanks for your work vpeter!

Are you going to release any version of LibreELEC with 3.14 kernel with Kripton Relesease Candidate? or are you going to wait until the stable version?

Do you know if there is any progress on the solution to the problem with the new kernel is some cubox-i / tv?

• Should the 4.8 kernel images work finer for the ones that have problems with the black screen?

Do you know any kind of feedback from me if those don't work?

I don't have such tv with black screen. Happy to send shipping address for one :P

Working/non-working feedback would be nice.

• Not yet tested but should work.

LibreELEC-imx6.arm-7.95.1-sr-3.14.img.gz
    test images with kernel 4.8

Hi Vpeter, Good News :). Tested the 4.8 kernel Version and It Worked Without No issue.
    thanks to you and to xbian team for this big effort.
    no black screen, could change resolution with no problems, played a movie and a serie also
    and it worked very good. i think even the picture quality was better...

i own an old equipment, a Samsung Plasma 42 inch, and an old receiver(yamaha) with optical sound entry,
    and all worked fine.
    so i think that people with newer equipment then mine should not have any issue.

maybe you could provied also a kodi 16.1 with this kernel? :rolleyes:

Edited once, last by danielk (January 21, 2017 at 9:59 AM).

• I don't have such tv with black screen. Happy to send shipping address for one :P

Working/non-working feedback would be nice.

Hey!! Seems that there is bad news for me, this 4.8 kernel seems that doesn't work for me either.

Where I can find the logs you need?

• Just checking in again to understand what the mainline position in regards to cubox-i and the SolidRun 3.14 kernel is. I see that the most recent release (LibreELEC-imx6.arm-7.95.2.img.gz) still doesn't boot properly for me (black screen issue). i had thought that perhaps the plan was to stick with the SolidRun kernel for these devices? Or are you (VPeter) still having to manually build these? Any chance of just making this part of the proper build set?

I am seriously considering dumping this hardware, haven't had any luck with new builds for the past year or so....

• Yes, I'm still building version with 3.14 kernel. I'm little behind with everything - it is uploaded now to usual folder.

This black screen issue happen only to some users. Others prefer more modern kernel. That's why this decision was made. And imx6 project doesn't have such support as others that's why this issues remain. Sorry for that. I'm only keeping all the pieces together.

Everything is already available to build this images manually (I don't hold anything back). The only missing part for LE7/8 in repository is libcec patch. But this was already fixed for LE9.

Edited once, last by vpeter (February 4, 2017 at 8:41 PM).

• Hi vpeter, as I have reported here, CEC stopped working after my last upgrade.
    [hr]
    Just downgraded. Only issue I have with the previous beta is that when screen dims it grabs a dim screenshot of the previously played video, always, which is annoying. So I just disabled screen dim.

Edited once, last by pepper_chico (February 5, 2017 at 3:49 PM).

• Hi vpeter, as I have reported here, CEC stopped working after my last upgrade.
    [hr]
    Just downgraded. Only issue I have with the previous beta is that when screen dims it grabs a dim screenshot of the previously played video, always, which is annoying. So I just disabled screen dim.

Sorry about that - I build image without CEC in 3.14 kernel. I build it again and reuploaded to same location.

• Sorry about that - I build image without CEC in 3.14 kernel. I build it again and reuploaded to same location.

Thanks vpeter. I see people here complaining of blackscreen on Cubox-i using newer kernel. I always used the images available from your repository based on 3.14 but recently I wondered if there would be no problem using the images from the official LibreELEC channels. I have never tried them but since they run on newer kernel I thought "why not?".

Do you know whether it's best to stay on 3.14? Is there a problem trying the official i.MX6 LibreELEC images on Cubox-i 4x4? Did you try them?
    [hr]
    By the way, Dim screen protection still presents the same issue with showing snapshot of last video played when dimming.

Edited once, last by pepper_chico (February 5, 2017 at 9:43 PM).

• Isn't the main function of the dim to dim what is currently shown? Just set to 100% and it will be black?

Regarding kernel versions: I'm not sure anymore. For me both versions work the same. Even with kernel 4.8 ;)