Cannot update to 9.0.0 - Your system (FAT) partition is too small for this update

• Hi

I'm running LibreElec on an Intel i3 HTPC with a SSD drive.

I just tried updating to version 9.0.0 from version 8.2.5 using the LibreElec configuration add-on within Kodi and it fails and says "Your system (FAT) partition is too small for this update" never had this problem before and have done many upgrades over the years previously.

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags

1 1049kB 255MB 254MB primary ext4 boot

2 255MB 60.0GB 59.8GB primary ext4

Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on

devtmpfs 1.9G 203.3M 1.7G 11% /dev

/dev/sda1 230.4M 216.9M 9.4M 96% /flash

/dev/sda2 54.6G 26.8G 27.9G 49% /storage

/dev/loop0 203.3M 203.3M 0 00% /

tmpfs 1.9G 0 1.9G 0% /dev/shm

tmpfs 1.9G 6.7M 1.9G 0% /run

tmpfs 1.9G 0 1.9G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup

tmpfs 1.9G 2.1M 1.9G 0% /var

tmpfs 1.9G 4.0K 1.9G 0% /tmp

How can I upgrade easily without starting over.

Thanks

Edited 2 times, last by cw-kid (February 12, 2019 at 1:43 PM).

• Odd, I didn't think 8.2.5 and 9.0.0 would differ, but okay.

1) Make a full backup of your LibreELEC data partition, fresh install 9.0.0, and restore your backup

or

2) Use a bootable version of Gparted (or a similar partition tool), and manually resize your partitions). Reboot and upgrade LibreELEC via the .tar or .img.gz file.

• Hi

I have created an Ubuntu LiveUSB stick using Rufus and a downloaded ISO file (ubuntu-18.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso) from the Ubuntu website.

I then booted up in to Ubuntu off the USB stick and installed gparted. Ctrl + Alt + T to open terminal then this command:

Code
    sudo apt-get install gparted

I then shrank my Storage partition a little bit and then increased the system partition from 242MB to 512MB.

I then updated the LibreElec install successfully to version 9.0.0 by manually extracting the .img file (LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-9.0.0.img) from the .img.gz file and placing it in the Update folder and then rebooted the PC.

It now says Kodi v18 Leia - Database migration in progress please wait.

I now see there is a bootable version of gparted as you said, so probably could have done it that way and not bothered with the Ubuntu LiveUSB OS.

Before I did any of this I took a full disk backup image using Acronis True Image and I also did a backup in the LibreElec configuration add-on in Kodi just to be on the safe side and copied the .tar file off the system.

• Its updated now, only thing that has stopped working is the context menu, I use to press guide on the Harmony remote to bring up the context menu and that no longer works now for some reason.

• After a lot of head scratching, I have fixed my guide button so it brings up the context menu again.

I had to edit the Lircmap.xml file in /storage/.kodi/userdata

Code
    <lircmap>
        <remote device="devinput">
               <title>KEY_EPG</title>
       </remote>
    </lircmap>
  • HOw do i create a bootable USB with Gparted.

how do i boot on the usb?

Not sure about the stand alone bootable Gparted as I didn't use it. I used a utility called Rufus to create a bootable USB stick with Ubuntu OS and then I installed Gparted in Ubuntu and did it that way.

On my PC as it boots up I press F12 on the keyboard for the Boot menu and then select the USB stick to boot from that instead of the internal HDD.

• Hi bubblegum57 :) Can you write some more about gpaterd and amlogic box please ? Can not find original firmware for my M96x (tried tons already) and would like to install libre to internall but can't. It's throwing me errors about missing partitions.

Can gparted be used to make those missing partitions and then install to internal ?

I'm on sd daily but everytime I'm rebooting it goes to android splash screen and hangs there :(

• gparted on can be booted from usb on a pc, but I don't know if it will boot up on an amlogic device.

I have no idea about modifying the internal partitions

If I were you, I would create a new image on a sd or usb, that could be why it sometimes boots to android, because the sd is corrupt.

you might then be able to install to internal, but I don't think this is supported.

try freaktab for the original firmware, or even a custom one

• Number Start End Size Type File system Flags

1 1049kB 255MB 254MB primary ext4 boot

2 255MB 60.0GB 59.8GB primary ext4

Odd, I didn't think 8.2.5 and 9.0.0 would differ, but okay.

That partition table was probably created by an old OpenElec installation, I had the same problem, easily solved with a backup / fresh install / restore

Edited once, last by z3rodivide (February 17, 2019 at 10:19 PM).

• Hi I'm really new to this. I have a Chromebox with LibreELEC 8.2.5 installed, and I'm having the same issue with "Your system (FAT) partition is too small for this update".

How do I do a fresh install of LibreELEC 9.0.2 if my Chromebox boots directly to LibreELEC with the Chrome OS erased? I created a bootable flash drive image of "LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-9.0.2.img.gz", but it won't boot to it when I reboot the Chrombox. I've also tried the command "Ctrl, F2", but it gives me an error saying the SeaBios is too small. I was hoping it would just create a proper partition, but it didn't. So how do I create a proper size partition for the Chromebox so I can install the latest version of LibreELEC?