Many black screen on Wetek Play 2

• Hi,

I launched a fresh install of LibreElec 9, and i restored only xml files (sources, media, keymap etc..)

I have multiple bugs on wetek play 2, sometimes i can't play a movie (after watching tv with hdhomerun), but many times i have short black screen (5 seconds)...

Are there other people with these bugs?

Edited once, last by Xianghua (February 7, 2019 at 10:04 PM).

• me too ! I have "no signal" messages, the screen turns to black for 5-10 secs, than the playback is resumed...

I need to turn off the AVR receiver (connected through HDMI between WP2 and my 4K TV), and the image comes back...

It seems an HDMI handshacking issue (with previous LE 8.5.2 version I didn't have that...)

• Many problems here as well!

It starts with the "libreelec" splash screen in full resolution. Then the resolution reduces to a quarter for a few seconds, then the picture disapears.

Somehow I got it work with low resolution, but far away from usable.

- 4K resolution not available

- No sound on AAC files

- 3D films results in a 3d GUI. Changing to 2D ->black screen

Rolled back ti 8.25 where everything is fine. Never change a winning team... :)

• I have similar issues.

Sometimes the picture flickers - it goes black and then comes back again.

Also if my HDMI switch is set to a different input than the one to which Wetek Play 2 is connected when the TV turns on, I get a black screen when I switch back to it and I have to reboot it to get a picture at all.

Please fix this, it is very frustrating.

• Maybe it has something to do with the new DRM feature which supports input streams for netflix for example.
    And maybe there were changes around HDCP which now producing such problems.

But that's just a guess.

• Sorry, had not enough time for further troubleshooting and collect log data.
    No audio for stereo streams and these black screens, that was not acceptable for a productive system, sorry ;)
    I reverted my system back to 8.2.5. for the moment.

If I find time I will use a second SD card with a fresh installation and check again.

• Kurogane Jan

Thanks for your log, but only because you get a blue screen after the splash doesn't mean you have the same problem like the OP asked for. I don't want to sound ungrateful, but your issue is not related at all to the issue the OP has and if you want to get that solved, I recommend to open a new thread with your own issue

The same counts for -Paulchen- , el_commandante and also maybe for viper4le (not too sure). Please open your own threads which all contain your own logfiles and descripe your own problem. Please respect the OP asking for his problem and please stop hijacking others threads as we currently (at this thread here) working on:

I launched a fresh install of LibreElec 9, and i restored only xml files (sources, media, keymap etc..)

I have multiple bugs on wetek play 2, sometimes i can't play a movie (after watching tv with hdhomerun), but many times i have short black screen (5 seconds)...

Are there other people with these bugs?

So please only answer to this thread if you have problems playing a movie after watching liveTV (prefered backend in this case is HDHomerun)

Xianghua regarding your problem, also please submit a log so we can see what happens here. I suspect a refreshrate switch and probably your TV might be a bit slow on that. Could that be possible?

• I think I have the same problem as Xianghua.

I tested a little bit more yesterday with a fresh installation, where the problem also occurs.

And yes it happens after refresh rate changes.

In Settings -> System -> Video the display is configured to 3840x2160 @ 60 Hz.

I have the automatic refresh rate switching enabled under Settings->Player, which is configured to "everytime" (I have it on german, don't exactly know which it is in english).

If I then open a video with 25 fps (Details: MPEG4 Video (H264) 1280x720 25fps 3167kbps [V: German [deu] (h264 main L3.1, yuv420p, 1280x720, 3167 kb/s)]) Kodi switches to 50 Hz and the following happens:

Video

There are generated no log entries in the standard kodi.log when the black screens occur ("wéight" is censored by the forum, I changed it this way/ Samba share is masked):

If I stop the playback then the black screens further occur in the main menu.

The black screens not happen if playing a 24 fps movie. But when stopping the playback the video signal is often completely lost and I have to switch the TV to another HDMI input and back again.

Further if I disable the automatic refresh rate switching the black screens not occur, only if I manually change the refresh rate in the video settings from 60 to 50 Hz for example. Then it occurs directly in the main menu without starting a playback. 24Hz seems to have no problem.

These problems not happen with LE 8.2.5.

I have a LG 4K TV.

That is all I have so far.
    Next step is to higher the log level to debug and further check dmesg, maybe they show more.

@Xianghua: can you confirm if it is the same problem?

Edited once, last by viper4le (February 14, 2019 at 8:36 AM).

• I also had a bit of a wonky experience with the play 2 on a 4k LG. In the end, I just changed the resolution in the settings to 1080p and whitelisted the 4k modes. There isn't much point running the GUI in 4k anyway. When I start a 4k video, the resolution correctly switches to 4k and back again after stopping.

Maybe you can give this a shot.

• I also had a bit of a wonky experience with the play 2 on a 4k LG. In the end, I just changed the resolution in the settings to 1080p and whitelisted the 4k modes. There isn't much point running the GUI in 4k anyway. When I start a 4k video, the resolution correctly switches to 4k and back again after stopping.

Maybe you can give this a shot.

But what happens with a 720p video then?
    If the setting is on 4K Kodi outputs it in 4K, at least that's what the log says in my post above.

In this case it would mean that Kodi is doing the complete upscaling to 4K.

What happens if you set it to 1080p like you said. Kodi upscales to 1080p and the TV from 1080p to 4K? Or is Kodi directly upscaling to 4K, too?

• From my understanding of how these whitelists work, Kodi will directly output the media in 4k if the 4k mode is whitelisted (but I'll check my logs to be sure). You can also do the same with lower modes and it will directly output in 720p for example. There's a bit of information about it in the PR for whitelists:

Mode whitelist by lrusak · Pull Request #13274 · xbmc/xbmc · GitHub

Edit: And if you haven't set a 720p whitelist, it kodi should upscale to whatever is set in settings (1080p)

• From my understanding of how these whitelists work, Kodi will directly output the media in 4k if the 4k mode is whitelisted (but I'll check my logs to be sure). You can also do the same with lower modes and it will directly output in 720p for example. There's a bit of information about it in the PR for whitelists:

Mode whitelist by lrusak · Pull Request #13274 · xbmc/xbmc · GitHub

Edit: And if you haven't set a 720p whitelist, it kodi should upscale to whatever is set in settings (1080p)

I tested it and it works in general. But this is a workaround only, because the black screens only occur on 4K with 50 and 60 Hz refresh rates in my case.

And if I set Kodi to 1080p @ 60 Hz, automatic refresh rate changes enabled and whitelist all 4K and 1080p refresh rates (1080p is needed to set Kodi itself to 1080p) then I never get 4K@50Hz or 60 Hz, because I have no 4K video with such a high refresh rate.

In addition to confirm: a 720p video is upscaled by Kodi to 1080p and a 4K video is outputted in 4k in this case.

I further checked my TV and WeTek box for the HDMI specification, both have 2.0. That means they are able to handle up to 3840 × 2160p @ 60 Hz, just to rule that out.

Edited once, last by viper4le (February 15, 2019 at 2:04 PM).