Information Regarding Linux on Rockchip SoC's

• Will the RK3399 based NanoPC-T4 get official LE support? I'm really looking into this. I don't care if it takes time to start getting builds on this, but I want to make sure that I didn't waste my money. I had two choices NanoPC-T4 or ROCKPro64 (sadly for me the latter is getting LE builds already lol).

• I have a Z28 RK3328 box with the latest nightly and I have an S912 box too with CoreELEC. I see, the SD upscaling is the same, bad quality on both. I have a RTD1295 box too (Zidoo X9S), and the SD upscaling quality is superior.

What about the RK3399? Same as the RK3328? I read, the RK3399 have a Bicubic polynomial interpolation with a four-tap horizontal kernel and a two-tap vertical kernel upscaling algorithm. Can LibreELEC use this feature?

• Kwiboo or anyone else, what is the status of HD audio passthrough with RK3399 ?

I've been testing with the old RK3399 ODROID N1 and get nothing but white noise for DTS-HD MA and TrueHD.

LPCM audio works.

Also status of 4K HDR with Rockchip ?

I already know RK3399 does No HDR > SDR tonemapping.

Already know deinterlacing is not the best either with half motion outputs and lots of video combing.

The S905X/S905D/S912 does basic tonemapping but it's not as good as say as Apple TV 4K.

What has surprised me is HW decode support of 10bit h264 aka Hi10P Anime with RK 3399 LE 8.9.x

Any chance of a test RK3399 Khadas Edge release with the improved Kodi Leia rendering improvement PR included ?

• libreelec-rk3399.arm-9.0-nightly-20190201-974f4cb-khadas-edge.img.gz

Since it's a nightly build, it should already have PR 15286 included.

• wrxtasy There is no multi-channel or HD audio support in RK images at the moment. We know what needs to be done but developers keep finding new and exciting video problems to work on so multi-channel audio work (which is shared with Allwinner and Amlogic which use the same designware IP) is still pending. At some point they'll run out of video stuff to fix and it'll get done :)

4K HDR is in the same limbo state as all current RK development .. waiting on the bump to mainline and an all-new V4L2 decoder. We have MPEG2 and H.264 functional under the new regime along with a new FFMpeg V4L2 stateless hwaccell. There's a lot of uncharted plumbing to be done to handle all the colour bits needed for HDR and while this work has started it's ultimately pending on the Intel HDR patches which are under review (and taking time due to the number of chefs in the kitchen - there's a long list of GPU/SoC's that will reuse the same kernel framework).

RK3399 has no HDR > SDR on-chip but something should be possible via other means ^ pending the colour stuff being more generally nailed down.

The Kodi patch linked will be in 9.0.0 and the continuing RK alpha releases .. once 9.0.0 releases.

• what is the status of HD audio passthrough with RK3399 ?

Currently only 8 channel LPCM works as it should on RK platform, basic NL-PCM may work by accident because TV/AVR treats the LPCM stream as NL-PCM.

As chewitt mention video issues is much more fun to work on. Recent audio developement on Allwinner platform have sparked new ideas on how to finishing NL-PCM/HBR audio work.

Recent work that was more interesting then NL-PCM/HBR audio:

- FFmpeg v4l2request hwaccel

- MPEG-2 v4l2 request api decoder

Also status of 4K HDR with Rockchip ?

HDR has been working on RK since Rockchip: add kodi HDR patches by Kwiboo · Pull Request #2927 · LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub but is limited to only set EOTF in the HDMI infoframe metadata.

More metadata will be set in future once a HEVC v4l2 decoder is ready.

• libreelec-rk3399.arm-9.0-nightly-20190201-974f4cb-khadas-edge.img.gz

Since it's a nightly build, it should already have PR 15286 included.

Thx. mate.

The Leia ARM rendering PR has made very noticeable improvements to CPU software decoding and rendering on RK3399 and all other ARM platforms.

Smooth 1080p Netflix is now possible on the RK 3399 and 576i mpeg2 with YADIF2x deinterlacing now also works properly.

Even low bitrate 1080p 10bit HEVC CPU software decoded content now plays back smoothly.

wrxtasy There is no multi-channel or HD audio support in RK images at the moment.

Similar findings --> DD+ or HD audio passthru support has dropouts or for TrueHD produces static, which also means no Atmos.

But 7.1 LPCM audio is working for me with the LE 9.0 nightly & RK3399

Thx. for info on HDR. Looks like we all wait for Intel Linux HDR for use with mainline.

What does work is Kodi Leia HDR > SDR tonemapping if you software decode HDR content.

• The mpp library will automatically activate deinterlacting using the IEP (Image Enhancement Processor), for this to happen the iep and iep_mmu node needs to be enabled in device-tree. Kodi will not show any deinterlace options or reflect if deinterlacer is used or not.

There is also a different post-processing unit in the VPU that should support deinterlacting, but this is not used by mpp library.

Took your advice there and dtc decompiled the .dtb plugged in a couple of Okay's - recompiled.

Bingo 50fps full motion deinterlacing on the N1 RK3399 !

Thx.

Any reason why this in not enabled by default in Rock Kernel RK3399.dtsi for LE usage ?

• Hey wrxtasy can you test 7HD playback to see if 50fps full motion de interlacing works.

My issues since wayback

Brief testing...

I had to remove the 1920x1080p 25Hz from Leia's whitelist when CPU software decoding and deinterlacing.

For RK hardware decoding and deinterlacing..

I get No stuttering with live 7HD Perth and excellent 50fps full motion deinterlacing. Picture quality is excellent.

Also tested 7HD with recorded TvH - AFL footy - really the ultimate deinterlacing test for full motion.

From Mediainfo this content is h264 25i/1080 - Top Field First

RK3399 passes with flying colors.

I need to let TV viewing run for an extended period tho, before giving the full 3 thumbs up.

• My issues since wayback

Kwiboo

Sneaky Release in your test builds LibreELEC-RK3328.arm-9.0-devel-20190120092244-3b7f5e2-rock64.img

I packed my Rock64 away after the official release did nothing for my issue regarding the 2 Free to Air TV stations poor half motion playback.

I had your index of Kwiboo url bookmarked after i replied to wrxtasy to test one of those stations for me.

To my surprise i saw a Development image for the Rock64 January 2019.

Updated

FIXED MY ISSUES WITH THE 2 CHANNELS

Perfect smooth Playback. :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Thank You so much. I had Almost Given Up.:thumbup:

• As suggested by mo123 there is also this LE 9.x nightly test folder:

Index of /

You can Mix n Match you Image (KERNEL) and Linux OS & Kodi (SYSTEM) if you want to be clever by D/loading a .tar update, unpacking it and manually copying over those files.

• Any reason why this in not enabled by default in Rock Kernel RK3399.dtsi for LE usage ?

It should be enabled in the dts for all targets "supported" by LE.

FIXED MY ISSUES WITH THE 2 CHANNELS

Perfect smooth Playback. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Thank You so much. I had Almost Given Up. :thumbup:

I do not think I can take credit for this, for the last few released pushed main changes have been to update kodi, bootloader blobs and updates to the mpp library. I am guessing RK fixed your decoding issues in one of the mpp library updates.

My latest test build should mainly contain experimental code for using direct to plane rendering for software decoded videos, but there is issues and will probably crash at end of playback, I recommend you test the just released LE 9.0 / RK Alpha 13 image, see Rockchip – LibreELEC