NUC installation will not work

• OK before i get shot down in flames. I can do this stuff & am pretty geeky and will try most stuff. But i'm stumped.

So i have been running an intel Nuc with openelec / kodi Stuck on 14.2 & it is time to update. Updating the Openelec is like inventing particle fusion as far as i go, tried too many options, too much time wasted. So all roads lead to Rome & here i am.

So i have a Nuc & i would like to give LibreElec a run and ss if we are going to be able to do it.
    Thus can i get some tips on which USB creator stick i need to make and what baby steps do i need to take to make it go smoothly.

Thanks in Advance.
    [hr]
    in the time since this 1st post & nobody responding i have downloaded the generic build, put it in my updates folder in my Nuc & rebooted my Kodi Openelec Logo reappeared...... and then screen went black

Edited once, last by Klojum (August 26, 2016 at 12:44 PM).

• index.php?title=HOW_TOrovide_Logfile

considering i don't know what OS an intel Nuc requires i'm unsure as which download i need.
    [hr]
    Strangely, on this macbook when i see network connected devices.... LibreElec is seen by my network!

on the network... but not working but has no connection available.
    [hr]
    Q. can i make an install stick on my macbook & then load it to run on my NUC? Or do i need to create the stick on a windows machine for it to run on the NUC?
    [hr]
    NUP..... this is fucked hey! I have downloaded and utilised the libreelec usb creator tool, followed all instructions, downloaded. Created the stick...shove the thing in the NUC reboot and it doesnt do jack shit. C'mon guys wake up up there in the northern hemisphere and help me please. I'm stranded.

Edited once, last by supaflygy (August 26, 2016 at 1:44 PM).

• Our daily increase in active-install figures prove the Generic image is good and it makes no difference whether the USB is created on macOS or Windows as you're writing the same image to the USB stick. However, older NUCs can be finicky with USB booting (avoid using USB 3.0 ports) so you may need to fiddle with boot options in the BIOS and/or maybe update the BIOS to resolve Intel firmware bugs first. People definitely do use NUC's; they're a popular platform among our users.

• Just awoken and want to try and get it going today.
    Last night i tried but couldnt make it work. Please tell me im doing it right, with 2 USB sticks in the NUC. One loaded with the build, and the other that will stay in the NUC to load the Libreelec firmware onto that will stay in the NUC as the boot disc.

As far as updating the BIOS, i dont know how to do that. That'll be a whole new google/you tube event.

How do i tell if my NUC has USB 3.0 ports?
    [hr]
    So i look like im in a world of hurt here

Nuc isn't booting to anything but a black screen showing client MAC address
    PXE-M0F Exiting Intel boot Agent
    PXE-E53 No Boot Filename Received
    Insert Media & press any Key (where is the any key )

Have been unable to enter the boot menu to adjust / update BIOS
    [hr]
    I have tried every option under the sun the moon .....
    AND the aliens came & took me away...

But now i have LibreElec running and Kodi is updated!
    [hr]
    So WTF is this that everytime i reboot the machine NUC i have to reinstall all my settings for the NUC & Kodi? How do i fix this malfunction.?

Edited once, last by supaflygy (August 26, 2016 at 11:27 PM).

• OE can be updated by dropping LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-7.0.2.tar into the /storage/.update folder, see:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Good luck remaining with OE .. you'll need it.

• Don't despair the NUC can be a PITA to do

First off, its the generic build you need LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-7.0.2.img.gz and you will then have to extract the file from that archive with your favourite tool 7zip or winrar to get the .img file

THEN you need to use Win32 Disk Imager download | SourceForge.net this to write the .img file to a suitable USB, it WILL destroy anything on the USB so use a spare on.

THEN your problems start, the NUC can be a tw@ to boot to USB if it is set to UEFI, so for the purpose of this, set it to legacy and then you have to press F10 to get to the boot menu to selct the USB to boot from.

You only need the one USB to do this job, BUT ** important ** if you do this it will wipe whatever is on the hard drive of the NUC.

So steps

reset NUC to legacy booting, ensure F prompts are show
    download latest build
    unpack
    write .img file to spare USB
    place USB in machine, boot and press F10 to boot menu, select USB stck from list
    let it write the image, then as it reboots, remove the USB and you should be good

• a) The OP used our USB-SD Creator app which creatse a USB directly from the img.gz file - so there's absolutely no need for unzipping to get images and using Win32DiskImager or other tools.

b) You only wipe the HDD if you select the HDD as the install target. If you insert a formatted USB it can be selected and you preserve existing HDD content - which is what the OP was attempting.

• a) The OP used our USB-SD Creator app which creatse a USB directly from the img.gz file - so there's absolutely no need for unzipping to get images and using Win32DiskImager or other tools.

b) You only wipe the HDD if you select the HDD as the install target. If you insert a formatted USB it can be selected and you preserve existing HDD content - which is what the OP was attempting.

I undertand that, but the OP seemed to be struggling with that process, (2 x USB !!) so I thought a back to basics may help, I also got the impression that he had OE on the HDD, so assumed that was the intended target rather than any possible confusion with dual boot.

Either way, we should be able to get them up and running

• I were too on OpenELEC for a long time on my Intel NUC. Realized that the project OpenELEC is dead, and that LibreELEC is alive and kicking. Decided to move to LibreELEC, and I'm stunned how easy it was. Just download LibreELEC and put the file in the "update" folder on my NUC. A simple reboot and the installation/update started. Within a few minutes I was on LibreELEC.

Sorry to say, but if you stay on OpenELEC you WILL get problems eventually.... They don't update it anymore...

Edited once, last by zorensen (August 28, 2016 at 12:23 PM).