Trying to update

• Hey guys,

Im sure I'm being an idiot, but I want to update my box (Generic.x86_64) running Librelec 8.2.5 to 8.90.008. Heres what happens:

- Open LibreELEC Addon -> System

- Automatic Updates: Manual

- Update Channel: Librelec-9.0

- Click on Available Versions

- Select the newest nightly build (8.90.008)

- Question: Current Version: 8.2.5, New Version:8.90.008 Would you like to update LibreELEC now?

- YES

- Download starts and completed

Reboots and failed. "Partition is too small for the is update."

I have nothing on this old box, and plenty of memory, so maybe I'm doing something else wrong? It's been a while but I remember there used to be a ton more options in the available updates folders with "milhouse" in there

• You may have tons of space on /storage but the update requires 235MB ish space in the separate boot partition and yours is probably an older OE sized boot partition that's 230MB. Hence the error message.

If there is truly nothing on the box .. just clean install and start over. If there's something you want to save, make a backup in the LE settings addon and move it off-box and then clean install and restore the backup. This is considerably faster than trying to shrink/expand the existing filesystem.

• You may have tons of space on /storage but the update requires 235MB ish space in the separate boot partition and yours is probably an older OE sized boot partition that's 230MB. Hence the error message.

If there is truly nothing on the box .. just clean install and start over. If there's something you want to save, make a backup in the LE settings addon and move it off-box and then clean install and restore the backup. This is considerably faster than trying to shrink/expand the existing filesystem.

Thanks for the quick reply! Would Clean install would be :

Reset LibreElec to Defaults (Hard Reset)

or

Reset System Settings to Defaults (Soft Reset) ?

• No, you would install from usb/sd as if you're installing it on a brand new machine. That will repartition the drive with more space availabe for the boot partition

• Okay a little more into research, and I think i am starting to get it, but also not quite there. Does the USB downloader process not apply since a it's a generic box?

Is this just a matter of downloading the file to my PC, dragging to USB stick and then plugging the USB stick into my Generic.x86_64 HTPC?

• Download and run the USB/SD Creator tool. Select Generic etc. and create a USB. Boot from the USB and clean install the OS. This will nuke whatever is currently installed, but you end up with a clean system and a 512MB boot partition.

Again thank you for helping! The App keeps crashing. Tried it on Mac's with El Capitan and Hi Sierra

• Download and run the USB/SD Creator tool. Select Generic etc. and create a USB. Boot from the USB and clean install the OS. This will nuke whatever is currently installed, but you end up with a clean system and a 512MB boot partition.

Found your post about using Etcher, its running now.

Okay so how do i do the clean install part? I assumed it would automatically boot into the intstaller screen. I grabbed the .img.gz file from here. Is it the wrong file - i.e maybe the update file and not the installation file? :

downloads – LibreELEC

Edited 2 times, last by Pashovski (December 2, 2018 at 6:01 PM).

• HItting a brick wall here fellas, wondering if I can get some advice. I tried:

1. Copying the .img.gz file on a Mac with balenaEtcher

2. Running 'LibreELEC USB-SD Creator' on Windows

Both times it wrote to the USB disk, and when i boot up the HTPC it just loads as normal, no clean install.

• 1. Stay calm.

2. Check the boot options of your HTPC. Maybe the boot order has to be changed. It should search for a bootable USB device at first place.

Thanks for the tip! Im looking through the options and don't see this function. I even put the skin back to stock to just in case there was a hidden menu I wasnt seeing. Is this an advanced feature?

• Thanks for the tip! Im looking through the options and don't see this function. I even put the skin back to stock to just in case there was a hidden menu I wasnt seeing. Is this an advanced feature?

Some PC's have two menus: One for general settings, and one for boot order. For my notebook, I have to hold F12 right after power-on. Your manual may give an advice, how to access the menu for boot order. It could be a different key for your HTPC.

• Some PC's have two menus: One for general settings, and one for boot order. For my notebook, I have to hold F12 right after power-on. Your manual may give an advice, how to access the menu for boot order. It could be a different key for your HTPC.

There's no Manual. It's the Prometheus HTPC.

• There's no Manual. It's the Prometheus HTPC.

Seems like you're not the only one... See Help with install of OpenELEC on Prometheus HTPC

Is it this one?
    htpc-main.500.jpg

Do you (not?) have a HDD or SSD in it as OS storage?

A Celeron 1037 should be able to run LibreELEC just fine. Just tested my C103UN-EU board, LibreELEC #8.90.008 runs nicely on it, upto 4K h264 videos .

• Seems like you're not the only one... See Help with install of OpenELEC on Prometheus HTPC

Is it this one?
    htpc-main.500.jpg

Do you (not?) have a HDD or SSD in it as OS storage?

A Celeron 1037 should be able to run LibreELEC just fine. Just tested my C103UN-EU board, LibreELEC #8.90.008 runs nicely on it, upto 4K h264 videos

Yes, you found it! I'm one of the people who overpaid for that box from the old team Mashup guys.

I installed Openelec on it originally, then migrated to Librelec, and the box is running just fine.

My problem now is I can't update any higher (8.2.5) , and when I try to do the USB clean install nothing happens.

Do you think it would make a difference if I tried going back to Openelec instead?

Regarding the drive, I have to check at home, but I definitely don't have 16gb. It's more like 4gb