Trying to update

• I installed Openelec on it originally, then migrated to Librelec, and the box is running just fine.

If LibreELEC runs fine, then updating shouldn't be a problem. By the way, v8.2.5 is the latest stable release. LibreELEC is currently in the Alpha stages as far as builds with the new Kodi 18 product goes . That means, things may go still wrong, we are in a testing phase. Just so you know.

One way of manually expanding the current system partition is to use a tool called Gparted. You can create a Linux bootable USB stick and adjust your disk partitions with it. Should this USB stick not boot on your Celeron box, then perhaps you can take out the Celeron's 16GB drive and place it in a different PC and make the changes that way. Other than that, I'm out of ideas.

Do you think it would make a difference if I tried going back to Openelec instead?

That would be a turn for the worse. OpenELEC is already outdated, is not being developed anymore since 1.5 years, and for example no longer supports the addons for scraping your movies and tv shows into Kodi. You would still have the problem of the small system partition.

• One way of manually expanding the current system partition is to use a tool called Gparted. You can create a Linux bootable USB stick and adjust your disk partitions with it.

@Pashovski:

I agree. If you can boot from an external device, Gparted is the right way to expand the partition.

Can you boot from an external device?

Or does the LibreELEC installer start, but shows an error when trying to install?

If the installer starts, what's the error message?