Intel true 10bits/HEVC/HDR support... ?

• Hey mate, I managed to get a couple of these for $45! Mine have N4000 not N4030 CPU, and I can't get LE 10 or even LE9 to run... keeps crashing in a loop on both. Oh well, at least I didn't waste too much cash...

I wonder if the chipset has anything to do with it?

sp114090.exe

Mine is N4020 with 2GB ram and 16GB eMMC drive. I updated to new firmware first (posted here). Afterwards I went into BIOS and fooled around with a few settings (nothing that should have mattered tho). I then flashed the Sept 4th build posted earlier in this thread from a USB flashdrive on to the eMMC drive (I have no need of the Thin Client OS). Booted straight off into Libreelec.

It should work. N4000 should not matter.

• hi! I'm trying to pick a right barebone for my libreelec 4k hdr setup. Have tried to figure out the right minimum platform through this topic, but no luck with getting exact info.

Could anybody post a kinda table with minimum/recommended setups for libre to work fine with hdr content?

• I’m trying to decide if I want to keep the T430. I have too many streaming devices (just bought a Zidoo Z9X) so I might as well sell a few of them.

Which is the better Kodi box between an Odroid N2 (S922) running Coreelec or a T430 Thin Client (N4020) running LibreElec? The Odroid outputs proper color space but the T430 cleans its clock performance-wise.

• I’m trying to decide if I want to keep the T430. I have too many streaming devices (just bought a Zidoo Z9X) so I might as well sell a few of them.

Which is the better Kodi box between an Odroid N2 (S922) running Coreelec or a T430 Thin Client (N4020) running LibreElec? The Odroid outputs proper color space but the T430 cleans its clock performance-wise.

Last I heard was that amlogic didn't actually output a 10bit signal, everything was converted to 8bit. I'm not sure if this has changed or not.

What do you mean proper color space? What is wrong with the color of the T430? My branch should include a commit to change the display out to bt2020 if supported.

• The only real difference between Amlogic and Intel is with 4K 50/60Hz modes.

Amlogic (CE) default to 4:2:0 10-bit.

Intel default to RGB 8-bit.

I'm not sure which one is better. RGB 8-bit (with dithering) looks fine on my cheap 4K TV.

• Amlogic GXBB has 8-bit internal and 8-bit output regardless of media content. GXL is internally 10-bit but outputs 8-bit. GXM is the first SoC that can handle a full 10-bit pipeline but now software comes in; the upstream kernel will currently only output 8-bit (some plumbing is missing) where the vendor kernel can do 10-bit, and it's the same for newer G12A, G12B and SM1 hardware. GXM (Midgard) uses "Amlogic" framebuffer compression to reduce the internal bandwidth needed with 4K media. G12A and newer (Bifrost) devices use "ARM" framebuffer compression (similar but different). Onto this you overlay all the RGB/YUV colourspace stuff that/s involved with SDR/HDR; the upstream kernel has cleaner and better organiseed plumbing for this but is further behind the vendor kernel which has horrible plumbing and lots of preset defaults but will mostly end up at the right combination of frequently neeeded settings.

• Amlogic GXBB has 8-bit internal and 8-bit output regardless of media content. GXL is internally 10-bit but outputs 8-bit. GXM is the first SoC that can handle a full 10-bit pipeline but now software comes in; the upstream kernel will currently only output 8-bit (some plumbing is missing) where the vendor kernel can do 10-bit, and it's the same for newer G12A, G12B and SM1 hardware. GXM (Midgard) uses "Amlogic" framebuffer compression to reduce the internal bandwidth needed with 4K media. G12A and newer (Bifrost) devices use "ARM" framebuffer compression (similar but different). Onto this you overlay all the RGB/YUV colourspace stuff that/s involved with SDR/HDR; the upstream kernel has cleaner and better organiseed plumbing for this but is further behind the vendor kernel which has horrible plumbing and lots of preset defaults but will mostly end up at the right combination of frequently neeeded settings.

So are you saying the N4020 box is better? 😛

• I know nothing about debugging ffmpeg issues. I just push buttons and hope things work.

If you can reproduce the problem with the current nightly and/or LE 10 IMO it's best to open an issue on github.

• I know nothing about debugging ffmpeg issues. I just push buttons and hope things work.

If you can reproduce the problem with the current nightly and/or LE 10 IMO it's best to open an issue on github.

There is no issue on LE 10 just the HDR builds since you updated FFMPEG

• Finally got around to testing on 2 x NUC11PAKi5. Seems to work fine running from USB. will dd to nvme after a week.

Also smp's build LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-11.0-devel-20210904012247-ebf2ee0.img.gz (SMP79) seems to fix playing trueHD audio problems where previous SMP builds would randomly not playrueHD 7.1 audio files. I don't use knodi nighlty builds for obvious reasons so whereever the fix came from...

Nekromantik Sound outputs only on 2.0 channel on the above nucs but if you set it to passthrough doesn't it just pass through in PCM format and your AVR takes care of it ? I pass through to a 7.1 ch samsung receiver which seems to be doing it's thing when kodi is set to 2.0 channel & pass-through.

I also pass-through audio to a sony 8000h tv and seems to work OK.

Please let me know if i'm wrong about kodi 2.0 ch and passthrough and i'll try:

LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-11.0-devel-20210917015956-1a8a027-ffmeg-4.3-2audiochannelfix.img.gz

SMP made for Nekromanik. Otherwise i'll check when i can get around to it.

yee ha.

Update:

NUC8i5INH with radeon graphics - doesn't play, blank screen same as previous builds

NUC7PJYH4 works fine

I also have a NUC5PPYH but thats a pita to get to. It's got hdmi 1.4b which i don' think supports hdr. I can check if someone wants...at some point.

Edited 2 times, last by libreAU (September 28, 2021 at 4:09 AM).