Early community images for H3, H6 and A64

• Wow so many changes!

Will go and test latest build

--

installed and started directly with the remote, thanks thats great!

Also the repos are there will maybe try the zattoo PVR client later, that one is perfect on rpi

A big thanks to jernej

Edited once, last by lumpi (December 28, 2018 at 1:30 PM).

• just one more question:

as my parents are struggling with their AndroidTV TV (too slow CPU, many reboots when apps are used etc. etc.) I would like to put an H3 or A64 based Box at their place, now that all is working so nicely

what board would you recommend? A64 or H3? are orange Pis to recommend or is the missing HDMI ESD protection a show stopper for a TV Box? unfortunately the beelink X2 is no more available. maybe friendlyelec or ALL-H3-CC (Tritium)?

Just checked the Olinuxino A64, but there all the Ports are on different edges of the board, so no luck putting it in a non customised case. PINE A64+ 1GB looks better in that HDMI, Power and LAN are on one side.

Maybe a Nintendo classic mini with an A33?

• what board would you recommend? A64 or H3? are orange Pis to recommend or is the missing HDMI ESD protection a show stopper for a TV Box? unfortunately the beelink X2 is no more available. maybe friendlyelec or ALL-H3-CC (Tritium)?

Just checked the Olinuxino A64, but there all the Ports are on different edges of the board, so no luck putting it in a non customised case. PINE A64+ 1GB looks better in that HDMI, Power and LAN are on one side.

Maybe a Nintendo classic mini with an A33?

A33 is not supported by LibreELEC, so I wouldn't recommend it. Currently, A64 doesn't work as nicely as H3, but it isn't far behind (just some network annoyance, 4K rendering bug and missing analog audio support, which will be added soon). Currently I'm testing on OrangePi Plus 2E, which has ESD protection on HDMI port, contrary to OrangePi PC, and it works nice. Currently there is no support for on board wifi, but AMPAK based wifi chips will be supported in the future. Lack of ESD protection doesn't really matter if you will hide board somewhere and nobody will come near it. However, if it will be often near someone, like when cleaning dust around TV, I recommend having ESD protection. This can be checked on board schematic.

Hard to recommend any board in particular, except that you should take a board with at least 1 GiB of RAM. OrangePi Plus2E is very good board, but maybe a bit expensive for what you want.

• OrangePi Plus2E is very good board, but maybe a bit expensive for what you want

Hello jernej,

Thanks for your efforts in creating builds for Orange Pi boards! Can I just post a small request please? The Libreelec repository doesn't work to install PVR addons (it's pointing to a dead link afaict in the logs). I tried compiling the PVR addons myself but I always get lots of dependancy issues. It's all new to me..

Would you consider adding the PVR addons for DVBViewer or others in the next builds please?

Thanks!

• BleedingYou Can you upload kodi log somewhere? Addon installed fine for me, but I can't test it thoroughly. Did you configure it?

jack82 I installed enigma addon and it blocked Kodi for few seconds but it continued ok. Please upload crashlog.

In general, repository is borrowed from another project (amlogic), which is not ideal. Once allwinner project is merged in master, proper repository will be established. Until then, repository may not work sometimes. Nothing that I can do about that.

• Would you consider adding the PVR addons for DVBViewer or others in the next builds please?

With pvr you looking? i have compiled pvr-hts (tvheadend) addon and im using it, it is posted on previous posts the zip file :) its newest one, way newer than repository can offer :P
    or Just tell addon name i can try compile it as i have sources ready there

• BleedingYou Can you upload kodi log somewhere? Addon installed fine for me, but I can't test it thoroughly. Did you configure it?

Hi jernej,

This is the error. It's pointing to a non-existing path. I cannot install anything from the Libreelec repository.

19:20:52.771 T:2916119408 ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting

19:21:01.640 T:2916119408 ERROR: Previous line repeats 2 times.

19:21:01.640 T:2916119408 ERROR: CCurlFile::Open failed with code 404 for addons.xml.gz.sha256:

19:21:01.640 T:2916119408 ERROR: Open - failed to open source <addons.xml.gz.sha256>

19:21:01.640 T:2916119408 ERROR: CRepository: failed read 'https://addons.libreelec.tv/9.0/H3/arm/addons.xml.gz.sha256'

19:21:02.252 T:3012060224 WARNING: CGUIMediaWindow::OnMessage - updating in progress

19:21:03.725 T:2689647472 ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting addons://repository.libreelec.tv/

19:21:03.758 T:3012060224 ERROR: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory(addons://repository.libreelec.tv/) failed

Probably this is also the reason why I cannot install the VRT NU video plugin to watch Belgian television.

19:21:26.272 T:2907726704 ERROR: CAddonInstallJob[plugin.video.vrt.nu]: The dependency on inputstream.adaptive version 2.0.19 could not be satisfied.

Full log is available here:

hastebin

With pvr you looking? i have compiled pvr-hts (tvheadend) addon and im using it, it is posted on previous posts the zip file :) its newest one, way newer than repository can offer :P
    or Just tell addon name i can try compile it as i have sources ready there

The DVBViewer addon would be nice to start with :)

• what board would you recommend? A64 or H3? are orange Pis to recommend or is the missing HDMI ESD protection a show stopper for a TV Box? unfortunately the beelink X2 is no more available. maybe friendlyelec or ALL-H3-CC (Tritium)?

lumpi,

I should recommend the ALL-H3-CC, Libretech invest in mainline for Allwineer, Amlogic and probably also rockchip + most of their boards fit a raspberry pi case, so a lot of choices of cases. Probably, the kodi/flirc case should fit also (I didn't try it so don't blame me if it doesn't).

• roel thanks for the suggestion, I checked it but shipped with heatsink it s in a different league than most others, actually for nearly 50$ i prefer buying from olimex, rather than from china well maybe im just wrongly biased :D

jernej I know libreelec is not supporting the A33, but Bootlin and Sunxi usually mention A33 as very well supported and it has a PMIC. The nintendo costs ot much more than the Tritiu board and has a case and a controller ;) then A64 is in the sunxi mainline matrix slightly behind H3, but seems to get lots of attention at the moment.

WRT ESD, I used to be brainwashed about ESD during my apprenticeship in a big electronics company, so I prefer having ESD protecton on rather than taking out my ESD slippers, ESD coat, wristband, waste bags, floor.... you name it :P

The OrangePi Plus2E is a really nice board, but definitely something more for my experimentation than for a simple kodi box from the pricetag...

You mention Ampak, on the product page its mentioned Realtek RTL8189ETV, usually a bit of a diva I guess.

• Bootlin and Sunxi usually mention A33 as very well supported and it has a PMIC

Sure, but you'll have to build your own LibreELEC for it. IIRC it doesn't support HDMI audio ATM.

You mention Ampak, on the product page its mentioned Realtek RTL8189ETV, usually a bit of a diva I guess.

I didn't say that this board has it :)

WRT ESD, I used to be brainwashed about ESD during my apprenticeship in a big electronics company, so I prefer having ESD protecton on rather than taking out my ESD slippers, ESD coat, wristband, waste bags, floor.... you name it :P

At previous company, we have to devise > 20kV ESD protection because client didn't want to spent few cents for few additional elements. I'm not so paranoid, I have just ESD slippers even though I handle expensive electronic boards.

• Definitely no Jernej doing the heavy lifting for me ;) HDMI is via external driver, so not sure how they solved audio

How is it possible you have HDMI audi on H* when sunxi mainlining matrix states a plain bold "NO"? is it out of tree?

oh so I misinterpreted you about the Ampak

I'm not so paranoid, I have just ESD slippers even though I handle expensive electronic boards

hehehe well ESD is like a religion, some believe in it, others don't. At home touching the screw/USB first has to do. Slippers i still have, but not of much use, without the matching floor. so if ever I think I should do more in that direction I think maybe a mat and if i really feel like a wrist band... but as long as its my stuff im destroying its not a big issue, problem was at that factory warranty issues, as most problems from ESD don't happen immediately, so wont get spotted by QC and end up in returns from customers site, quite expensive in industrial.

• No, not really. When I was using BSP kernel I let kernel to upload some firmware blob from Allwinner, which provided suspend functionality and wakeup support through IR.

Yeah, I follow crust development and I intend to use it here for suspend if it will play along nicely (no major changes to linux or U-Boot necessary).

• Yes, it's out of tree. But there is an effort to mainline it.

cool then nothing much missing from H3, thermal, maybe crypto and depending on crust maybe spinlocks and msgbox

Quote from Jernej

Yeah, I follow crust development and I intend to use it here for suspend if it will play along nicely (no major changes to linux or U-Boot necessary).

very interesting, hoping it will do what we hope it does ;)

• Has anyone tried what happens with the H2+? I just figured out there are still some "H3" TV boxes around which used to have an H2+ in the past ;) so better ask first not order first :P