4k HDR LibreELEC/Kodi box

• Hi guys,

I do a lot of research for a new Kodi/LibreELEC box, but I haven't found one that matches my requirements.

Maybe you guys have a recommendation for me.

My current audio/video setup:

LG OLED 55C7 TV (4k, HDR10, HDMI 2.0b)

Pioneer VSX-932 AVR (7.1, Atmos/DTS:X, HDMI 2.0b)

5.1 audio system

Must have/work:

Output: 1080p24, 1080p60, 2160p24, 2160p60

Audio-Decoder: MP3 (up to 2.0), AAC (up to 5.1)

Video-Decoder: MPEG4 (up to 576p25), H.264/AVC (up to 2160p24), H.265/HEVC (up to 2160p60)

HDMI Audio passthrough: PCM, Dolby Digital, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, DTS, DTS-HD, DTS-HD MA, DTS:X

Container support: .mkv (H.264/H.265), .avi (MPEG4)

Automatic Resolution & framerate switching (to match the video file)

Internal or External storage (eg MicroSD card) with at least 128 GB space (as Kodi video cache) (Does not have to be included in the scope of delivery.)

1x 1GBase-T / 1000Base-T network port

1x HDMI Port

Nice to have:

Good remote control (eg. Xiaomi Bluetooth remote - Does not have to be included in the scope of delivery)

Amazon Prime Video (up to 4K HDR)
    Netflix (up to 4K HDR)

Youtube (up to 4K HDR)

I am quite familiar with linux/unix so using an ARM SBC or an x86_64 box would not be a problem. (Only if necessary)

Thanks!

• Obligatory link to this topic Kodi Community Forum ;)

Among many other pages I have of course also read these.

NVIDIA Shield:

-HDR/Colorspace issues

-audio passthrough issues

-SPMC not longer updated

MINIX U9-H/S912 devices:

-"If you consider buying a device for LE, do not buy Amlogic S912!" (missing kernel module sources)

ODROID C2:

-No HDR

Vero 4K(+):

-Maybe

• I really think you are asking a bit too much from the community. What you really need to do, is research the multitude of SBC and find one that meets your specs and then ask if LE supports that model.

You also forgot price/power constraints. If unlimited, then I am sure there is something out there.

I'm not expecting a single second of research from the community but if anyone bought a 2015 (or later) 4K/HDR TV and AVR he is probably in the same needs. (or already got something and has a recommedation)

AML-S905X-CC:

-100 Base-T only

Rock64:

-No HDR on Linux

ODROID C2:

-No HDR

NanoPi K2:

-No HDR

Banana Pi M64:

-No HDR, 2160p30 only

ASUS Tinkerboard:

-No HDR 2160p30 only

• I have the 65" version of the same LG panel and a similar AVR and a legion of test boxes/devices to experiment with. The short answer to the question is "the box you are seeking does not exist" .. and on that basis I'd go pick up a cheap S905D box with GB ethernet (avoid the S905D devices with 100-BaseT PHYs). It'll be fairly cheap so when you chuck it out in 24 months time to get a newer (still not meeting that spec, but more advanced in some way) device you're not left writhing in angst about how much it cost you.

NB: Nothing truly supports HDR on Linux right now, but Amlogic is the leading "least worst" option at the current moment :)

• I have the 65" version of the same LG panel and a similar AVR and a legion of test boxes/devices to experiment with. The short answer to the question is "the box you are seeking does not exist" .. and on that basis I'd go pick up a cheap S905D box with GB ethernet (avoid the S905D devices with 100-BaseT PHYs). It'll be fairly cheap so when you chuck it out in 24 months time to get a newer (still not meeting that spec, but more advanced in some way) device you're not left writhing in angst about how much it cost you.

NB: Nothing truly supports HDR on Linux right now, but Amlogic is the leading "least worst" option at the current moment :)

From what I have read so far, the Vero 4K+ comes closest to my requirements. There are only minor problems with HDR.

• Just a question. Are devices like Intel Nuc completely out of the picture? Seems to exist some nice ones in the lower price range with a lot of hw decoding capabilities

• Just a question. Are devices like Intel Nuc completely out of the picture?

It depends on your 'use case'. Right now, AFAIK, hdr in Linux is still a work-in-progress (if at all). Other than that, it should be able to do 99% of all videos. A NUC tends to be a somewhat more powerful solution for heavy skins, also gigabit speeds and disk read/write speeds tend to be better. NUC components are still pretty expensive, for example DDR3/4 dimm prices.

On the other hand, the average cheap China box you can get now for the fraction of a NUC price, but they do underperform in certain areas. Video-wise, the price/quality factor is pretty good.

• It depends on your 'use case'. Right now, AFAIK, hdr in Linux is still a work-in-progress (if at all). Other than that, it should be able to do 99% of all videos. A NUC tends to be a somewhat more powerful solution for heavy skins, also gigabit speeds and disk read/write speeds tend to be better. NUC components are still pretty expensive, for example DDR3/4 dimm prices.

On the other hand, the average cheap China box you can get now for the fraction of a NUC price, but they do underperform in certain areas. Video-wise, the price/quality factor is pretty good.

Ye I totally get the price:performance! Haven't tried any android boxes yet. Only Odroid C2 and Raspberry Pi.

• Just a question. Are devices like Intel Nuc completely out of the picture? Seems to exist some nice ones in the lower price range with a lot of hw decoding capabilities

From what I have read so far, a well supported S905X box is (much) better than a own build x86 solution (eg. NUC).

Personally, I have now ordered a Vero 4K+.

• a well supported S905X box is (much) better than a own build x86 solution

Speed wise the cheapest nuc is already much faster then S905(x), driver/support wise x86 is also much better supported

currently the only downside that you have no HDR support, S905 has some hacky (it is no real 10bit HDR) support for it.

Pricewise you can't beat S905 ofc.